CBS 2023 QB Power Rankings

BarleyNY

https://www.cbssports.com/nfl/news/2023-nfl-qb-power-rankings-lamar-jackson-aaron-rodgers-both-crack-top-10-in-first-rundown-of-all-32-starters/

I can certainly quibble with some of the rankings, but that isn’t what was so surprising. What really shocks me is not how bad that list gets, but how quickly it gets so bad.

Analytics sites often stress the importance of having a top 8 QB in the league - or even a QB capable of being in the top 8 some years. That list very vividly illustrates why that is. I’m not sure there are more than 8 QBs in this league I’d want. It also shows you why Baltimore paid what they did for Lamar and why even the Geno Smiths and Daniel Joneses of the league get paid so well. Yikes. 

Note: Yes, I’m ecstatic that we are lucky enough to have one of those top QBs. 

• Like (+1) 1

33 minutes ago, Goin Breakdown said:

But  is Hurts really better than Allen or is it recency bias?  

It's recency bias.  If Hurts' college career is any indication (and I have no idea if it is or not!) he'll hit a wall and all of a sudden seem pretty mediocre.  Maybe Miami can trade Tua to the Eagles lol

• Disagree 1

The thing about this list is that they should take into account the ability of QBs to play in any system. 

If Josh plays on any top five team they will all preform the same and probably better with Josh at the helm. I don’t think any one of them could do the same in Buffalo. 

Thus, Josh is Numbero Uno. 🎯

• Like (+1) 1

I'd be reluctant to put a 1 year QB that high, but he's the darling, and so that what you get.

Allen needs a ring.  Lets get him a ring.

3 minutes ago, The 9 Isles said:

The thing about this list is that they should take into account the ability of QBs to play in any system. 

If Josh plays on any top five team they will all preform the same and probably better with Josh at the helm. I don’t think any one of them could do the same in Buffalo. 

Thus, Josh is Numbero Uno. 🎯

Josh with Andy Reid his whole career is two rings deep right now, I have no doubt.  

• Agree 5

In my opinion, Josh is still #2 behind Mahomes. With a healthy elbow and better weapons, I think that will become clear to most as the season wears on. Otherwise, can't really argue much with their top 8.

A QB to watch is the Steelers' Kenny Pickett. I liked what I saw from him last year and wouldn't be surprised to see him make a decent move up that list this season.

• Like (+1) 2

1 hour ago, Roundybout said:

Purdy seems way too high. I know he had a great season, but putting him above people like Tua or Daniel Jones seems eh. 

It's been said that my grandma could throw for 200 yards per game in their extremely QB-friendly offense.  Even McCorkle could pull some wins there.

• Like (+1) 1

I like Trevor Lawrence and Daniel Jones both to have big years. 

Lawrence is going into his third year which has recently been a big breakout year for QB's. Jones improved across the board last year and I think will continue to do so under Daboll. 

Hurts plays with one of the best offensive supporting cast in all of football, if not the best, so I would expect him to put up great numbers again. It would be concerning if he does not. 

We will see if the MVP goes to someone other than Mahomes this year. 

1 hour ago, Success said:

Yeah - but if you listen to Pats fans, hiring O'Brien will turn Mac into the next Brady.  And Mac had a better 1st 2 years than Josh Allen!

Stop listening to delusional Pats fans! IMO O’Brien will hopefully correct what went terribly wrong last year and hopefully a small jump from his rookie year.. (which would be a huge leap.. from 2022 lol) 

I think he is probably closer to 20 than 29 like this ranking has… putting QBS up that high who haven’t played a down seems silly IMO. 

• Like (+1) 1

21 minutes ago, folz said:

In my opinion, Josh is still #2 behind Mahomes. With a healthy elbow and better weapons, I think that will become clear to most as the season wears on. Otherwise, can't really argue much with their top 8.

A QB to watch is the Steelers' Kenny Pickett. I liked what I saw from him last year and wouldn't be surprised to see him make a decent move up that list this season.

Joe didn't take much/if any heat for that AFCCG performance. 

Two interceptions, and the second one was definitely an underthrow. 

Given multiple possessions in the 4th to take the lead and he couldn't do it. 

I think he's Top 3, photographic memory, lifts weights. But definitively better than Allen?

I'm glad to see Hebert getting his recognition, and Lawrence is on his way up and going to pass a lot of these QBs by the end of the year. 

The media just hangs on for dear life with Lamar and his 2019 MVP, but we haven't seen that guy in 4-years.  

• Like (+1) 1

This topic is OLD. A NEW topic should be started unless there is a very specific reason to revive this one.