Should the Bills move Milano to MLB?

Bobby Hooks

Alright, so hear me out. When we drafted Dorian Williams, i was like “cool, we got our guy!” But was surprised to hear that they think of him more like an olb. 

Does anyone else think they may try to shift Milano to the middle and have Dorian take his spot? 

I know Milano doesn’t have the prototypical size, but McDermott loves him and is always in his ear on the sidelines. 

The communication aspect would be taken care of (as I kind of see him taking the qb of the defense role already this season), and he’s definitely got the goods in the coverage aspects of the job. 

He’s got great instincts. Idk, maybe there’s a piece I haven’t considered but I just don’t know what they plan to do at the position. Maybe someone already on the roster for obvious running downs, and a change-up for passing downs? 

• Vomit 4
  • Eyeroll 2
  • Disagree 1
  • Dislike 2

2 minutes ago, WotAGuy said:

I heard they are moving Benford from CB to S to MLB. McDermott playing his own 4D chess. 

A mixture of Wrecks and NOLA Greggggg:

Blitz your DBs, but have your LBs drop back into coverage.  Pay 💵💵💵 to injure and maim 'da other guys'. 
🤔🙄

7 minutes ago, WotAGuy said:

I heard they are moving Benford from CB to S to MLB. McDermott playing his own 4D chess. 

Maybe they’re unleashing a brand new hybrid mlb/olb roving backer scheme?! 

You don’t know who the mlb is until it’s too late! 

Edited by Bobby Hooks
  • Like (+1) 1

not sure if it's his best position or if he could take the added pounding inside(if the D Line keeps him clean it would be great) but he has better instincts than Edmunds so i think the run D would improve .

i think they experiment in camp a bit but I expect Milano will be outside game 1 and any 1 of 3 other guys will be at MLB, all who will probable be manipulated by Mahomes the same way Truman was at a 10th of the cost. 

• Like (+1) 2
  • Agree 1
  • Haha (+1) 1

i was on record stating this almost immediately williams is not our MLB.  got roasted, too.

milano will move to the middle in a hybrid role. he will not be the same player he has been for us. i fear this will beat him up and age him quickly.

klein will fill in for the traditional mlb role on run downs. we really could use a donta hightower type for run downs. even a brandon spikes. if we had takeo spikes i'd pop a rod 6 to midnight faster than a blink of an eye.

regardless, the middle of this defense is now a liability and hoping that our front 3 / 4 has improved enough to cover this up. i am not sure they have.

• Eyeroll 1
  • Disagree 1
  • Agree 1
  • Haha (+1) 1
  • Dislike 3

As someone posted the other day, how is there really a true middle LB when there are only two of them on the field to start with?  

I think overall there will be more 2 LB's 3 Lineman, 3 CB and 3S whenever in passing downs and sounds like Williams would be fine in passing downs. Klein isn't a bad LB as long as he's not asked to cover anyone.  With 3 safety's on field, he doesn't need to.  Likely the lineman that will come out will be Jones.  Throw in a blitzer coming form anyone on any given play.

• Like (+1) 6
  • Agree 2

14 minutes ago, boyst said:

i was on record stating this almost immediately williams is not our MLB.  got roasted, too.

milano will move to the middle in a hybrid role. he will not be the same player he has been for us. i fear this will beat him up and age him quickly.

klein will fill in for the traditional mlb role on run downs. we really could use a donta hightower type for run downs. even a brandon spikes. if we had takeo spikes i'd pop a rod 6 to midnight faster than a blink of an eye.

regardless, the middle of this defense is now a liability and hoping that our front 3 / 4 has improved enough to cover this up. i am not sure they have.

Those days are gone. There really aren't run downs anymore. The minute you put players like that on the field you get burned.

• Like (+1) 3
  • Agree 4

3 minutes ago, Ed_Formerly_of_Roch said:

As someone posted the other day, how is there really a true middle LB when there are only two of them on the field to start with?  

I think overall there will be more 2 LB's 3 Lineman, 3 CB and 3S whenever in passing downs and sounds like Williams would be fine in passing downs. Klein isn't a bad LB as long as he's not asked to cover anyone.  With 3 safety's on field, he doesn't need to.  Likely the lineman that will come out will be Jones.  Throw in a blitzer coming form anyone on any given play.

you may be on to something and others have posted/reported this as a way to counter the new game geared towards the passing offense. BIG on the line, fast behind it.

3 BIG D Linemen eating up space in the middle and taking on blockers

2 'traditional' LBs-right now that would be Milano and Miller who can stop the run, rush the passer and cover a bit

2 Nickel/LB Hybrid tweeners that can cover a TE/slot while supporting the run, Johnson and the rookie or Bernard or Benford?

2 outside corners- we are set

2 safeties- we have 2 of the best

• Like (+1) 2

11 minutes ago, Robert Paulson said:

you may be on to something and others have posted/reported this as a way to counter the new game geared towards the passing offense. BIG on the line, fast behind it.

3 BIG D Linemen eating up space in the middle and taking on blockers

2 'traditional' LBs-right now that would be Milano and Miller who can stop the run, rush the passer and cover a bit

2 Nickel/LB Hybrid tweeners that can cover a TE/slot while supporting the run, Johnson and the rookie or Bernard or Benford?

2 outside corners- we are set

2 safeties- we have 2 of the best

I don't see a scenario where we are going with 3 DL

We are better built team for the 4-3 even with our concerns at MLB

I could never see Von Miller playing a traditional LB role either. He is going to be up on the line and playing to his strength as a pass rusher backfield disruptor

• Like (+1) 4
  • Agree 1

53 minutes ago, Bobby Hooks said:

Alright, so hear me out. When we drafted Dorian Williams, i was like “cool, we got our guy!” But was surprised to hear that they think of him more like an olb. 

Does anyone else think they may try to shift Milano to the middle and have Dorian take his spot? 

I know Milano doesn’t have the prototypical size, but McDermott loves him and is always in his ear on the sidelines. 

The communication aspect would be taken care of (as I kind of see him taking the qb of the defense role already this season), and he’s definitely got the goods in the coverage aspects of the job. 

He’s got great instincts. Idk, maybe there’s a piece I haven’t considered but I just don’t know what they plan to do at the position. Maybe someone already on the roster for obvious running downs, and a change-up for passing downs? 

NO. This has been discussed. Milano is NOT a MLB,he is an excellent coverage WLB. Why would you disrupt BOTH LB spots?

I'm not convinced Edmunds replacement is on the roster,yet.. 

• Agree 1

I think this is just one of those things we'll have to wait and see on. Clearly Beane and McDermott are both keeping their plans a secret. They don't have anything to gain by telling reporters their plan for MLB.

They have flat out said... repeatedly....Milano will stay in his spot. They have flat out said.... repeatedly....that Dodson, Klein, Bernard and Spector will compete for the MLB spot. They have been a bit more ambiguous about Dorian Williams. Maybe this will help.

The 6 Stages of Grief:

Shock: Finding out Edmunds left for the huge payday

Denial. ..."Nah, they won't roll with what they have on the roster. They will draft one high"

Anger. ..."Why didn't they draft one high?!?!?"

Bargaining. ... You are here

Depression. ... "Oh no, we suck again"

Acceptance and hope. ..."Welp, guess we have what we have...maybe one of these guys won't be too bad"

• Like (+1) 2
  • Haha (+1) 1
  • Thank you (+1) 1

This topic is OLD. A NEW topic should be started unless there is a very specific reason to revive this one.