1. 1. Who should the Bills take at #34

• Jalin Hyatt, WR, Tennessee
    • Steve Avila, OG, TCU
    • Bryan Bresee, DT, Clemson
    • Trenton Simpson, MLB, Clemson
    • Jack Campbell, MLB, Iowa
    • Anton Harrison, OT, Oklahoma

This poll is closed to new votes

• Please sign in or register to vote in this poll.
  • Poll closed on 04/28/2023 at 12:00 AM

4 minutes ago, TBBills Fan said:

I dont know enough about either...but if we did trade oliver and added DHop, I think DT would be the call here.  I guess Bresee since he is being mocked in the late 1st in a lot of drats?

I wouldn’t hate Bresee.  I’ve been following him since he was the consensus #1 player in HS.  Love his power and movement.  Mazi…. His lack of production scares me.

I just prefer to start building a wall around Josh….rather than trying to get by with this 2 foot aluminum fence 

I’d also prefer Downs on the list over Hyatt. Hopkins, Diggs, Davis outside….. still a glaring hole in the slot unless Harty/shakir can fill it properly.   Properly = not like Mckenzie/crowder/shakir last season.  Josh didn’t trust them and it showed. 

• Like (+1) 1
  • Thank you (+1) 2

56 minutes ago, NewEra said:

You don’t want a “fill in” @ center….. meanwhile we currently have the 2 worst RTs in the league “filling in” until our FO wakes up and realizes their mistake.  

fill in @ c….. complete proven bums at RT

🤦🏻‍♂️

I don’t agree that Brown is a complete proven bum.  Last year was poor, but I hold hope given the problems he overcame just to get on the field last year.  I’m not guaranteeing that Brown will be good, but there is a pretty reasonable chance he will, in my opinion.

3 minutes ago, Yantha said:

I have Bergeron higher than Harrison.  :)

I really like Bergeron. He’s a better run blocker.  Anton just makes so much sense because he can play LT and specializes in pass protection.  

Just now, OldTimer1960 said:

I don’t agree that Brown is a complete proven bum.  Last year was poor, but I hold hope given the problems he overcame just to get on the field last year.  I’m not guaranteeing that Brown will be good, but there is a pretty reasonable chance he will, in my opinion.

He’s been a bum his entire career.  Until he’s not, he’s a bum.

• Agree 3

1 hour ago, SydneyBillsFan said:

Assuming Spencer Brown blows this year, can Bates play RT?

If so, I'll take Avila - gotta put a brick wall in front of 17.

I wouldn't really want to change out TWO spots on the OL...if you pick Avila,I think Bates becomes a valuable backup 

1 minute ago, NewEra said:

I really like Bergeron. He’s a better run blocker.  Anton just makes so much sense because he can play LT and specializes in pass protection.  

He’s been a bum his entire career.  Until he’s not, he’s a bum.

I think you’re being too harsh, but it is your prerogative.  I agree it is risky to not bring in competition, but he still has a chance.

27 minutes ago, MrEpsYtown said:

I get that. But Anton Harrison/Bergeron are not better than Spencer Brown. It’s not an upgrade. What’s the point?

It has more to do with the hate for Spencer Brown than anything about Harrison: 

Anton is probably the 2nd best pass blocker in the draft, so I think he can compete with Brown and probably even over take him.  And if not, Anton gives us good depth as a swing tackle this year as well or insurance against Brown's injuries.  The area Anton has shown promise at but still needs to improve is run blocking, but we are going to remain a high volume pass attack, so getting one of the best pass blockers in the draft would definitely help the OL.  There is also always the possibility of kicking him inside to guard too if Brown comes back strong.  

Its just a big risk to enter the season trusting that Brown finally puts it all together this year.  He has shown promise as a rookie, but even that wasn't a "great" season and last year was a disaster for him.  

Specific player aside, we're currently looking at:

MLB - 20 votes

OT - 15 votes

DT - 14 votes

IOL - 11 votes

WR - 9 votes

Interesting. Didnt think LBs would score that high.

Speaking that generally, I'd like to go OL (any OG/C/OT) at 34, then shift to defense at 59. Given the LBs and DTs left, we should be able to snag one there...

EDIT: I take that last line back and am changing my vote. I think the LBs would both go between 34 and 59. So take one now. There will be OL available at 59. If not the OTs then there should be plenty of decent IOL to still choose from. Might even be able to get IOL in the 3rd. I'm going LB now.

Edited by DrDawkinstein

10 minutes ago, OldTimer1960 said:

I think you’re being too harsh, but it is your prerogative.  I agree it is risky to not bring in competition, but he still has a chance.

I agree, he has a chance….. but let’s be real, Spencer Brown hasn’t been a bum to date?  Doesn’t compute. 

After watching him the last 2 years, I don’t see any reason why we would risk Josh’s health by running it back with 2 guys that got him killed last year.  

does anyone else think Brown has been better than below average? 

29 minutes ago, NewEra said:

I hear ya. 

I’m higher on both harrison and Bergeron that you….. and the lowest in Spencer Brown.  If he didn’t drink a beer on the field during the game, the fan base would’ve had already dumped him imo.  He’s been nothing but terrible. 

He also jumped through that table that time…

There are a lot of good choices there. Bergeron is one of my favorites, but I think Avila contributes now and will be an above average starter. 

Trenton Simpson is tempting and he's a better choice than the popular Campbell. Campbell might be there at 59, Simpson won't. When the field is winnowed, I'll reconsider and look over everyone's thoughts. I'm giving an initial vote for Avila.

I really like Josh Downs and he should be on the list. He's going to be a plus slot imo and would jump to the front of the line ahead of Shakir, imo.

Edited by Dr. Who

2 minutes ago, DrDawkinstein said:

Have we turned into Belichick so quickly?

Not a huge fan of any of these players at this spot. Imo could trade back another 5-10 spots and still get any of them or something similar. I’d rather pick up extra picks. Just my opinion. 

13 minutes ago, DrDawkinstein said:

MLB - 20 votes

OT - 15 votes

DT - 14 votes

IOL - 11 votes

WR - 9 votes

Speaking that generally, I'd like to go OL (any OG/C/OT) at 34, then shift to defense at 59. Given the LBs and DTs left, we should be able to snag one there...

That’s because very one has been brainwashed into thinking Campbell os the next coming of Ray Lewis. He’s not. 

2 hours ago, GunnerBill said:

I'd take Hyatt or Simpson. Think they are the two plus athletes with high ceilings. 

If he is still there he should be on the list. 

If you traded Oliver to get Hopkins, Hyatt seems a bit redundant 

I think Trenton Simpson is the best athlete on that list and fits a big need.  He’s not perfect and you’d be betting that experience at MLB improves his recognition.  At worst, I think you end up with a very good OLB, but still a hole at MLB.  Simpson looks like a LB and moves like a DB.

8 minutes ago, DrDawkinstein said:

MLB - 20 votes

OT - 15 votes

DT - 14 votes

IOL - 11 votes

WR - 9 votes

I'm not that surprised. LB, IMO, is our biggest hole remaining. 

• Like (+1) 1

5 minutes ago, mrags said:

Not a huge fan of any of these players at this spot. Imo could trade back another 5-10 spots and still get any of them or something similar. I’d rather pick up extra picks. Just my opinion. 

That’s because very one has been brainwashed into thinking Campbell os the next coming of Ray Lewis. He’s not. 

All good on the trade back. Just funny because everyone used to give BB ***** for all his trade backs, but it's tough sitting in the high 20s and having to pick non-1st round guys in the 1st round. Was always waiting for him to complete the ultimate trade back series and end up with every pick of the 7th round. :thumbsup:

As far as LBs are concerned, I'm not in love with Campbell. But I'd take any of Campbell/Simpson/Sanders here, and address OL next.

I agree that none of the players are jumping off the page or that special, so I'm just filling roster holes at this point.

Edited by DrDawkinstein

1 minute ago, DrDawkinstein said:

All good on the trade back. Just funny because everyone used to give BB ***** for all his trade backs, but it's tough sitting in the high 20s and having to pick non-1st round guys in the 1st round. Was always waiting for him to complete the ultimate trade back series and end up with every pick of the 7th round. :thumbsup:

As far as LBs are concerned, I'm not in love with Campbell. But I'd take any of Campbell/Simpson/Sanders here, and address OL next.

I’d much rather address OL and take LB later. In fact If these were the options I probably wouldn’t take OL here either. But if I had to choose, I guess I’d prolly go with Avila, Schmitz, or Mazi. Because I believe all of them will be good players in this league. Avila or Schmitz would start at OG this year and likely replace Morse within a year or 2 for the foreseeable future. And Mazi is a man among boys and will be a starting DT in this league for years. 

• Like (+1) 2

Avila here.  We need OL upgrades before anything else.  Only 1 of our returning OGs (including FAs) were in the top 50 guards.  Won't cut it.  Avila can play C/G or even tackle at a high level.  something like 4 pressures on around 440 passing snaps last season.  I'd also be okay with one of the OTs remaining here.  

5 minutes ago, mrags said:

We already traded for Hopkins. Now we want to draft another WR that won’t see the field? 

That's right.  Gabe Davis is gone next year (maybe even this year) and Josh is still going to be throwing 30-40+ times per game, correct? 

I'm going with the best talent available.

Edited by Chicken Boo
  • Agree 1

2 hours ago, aristocrat said:

Mazi Smith please. I think they're gonna roll with spencer brown 

rolling with Spencer Brown is a repeat of the same mistake made with Gabe Davis last year: pinning hope for a very important position on improvement.  We need guys who can do it, not using hope as a strategy here. 

2 minutes ago, Chicken Boo said:

That's right.  Gabe Davis is gone next year and Josh is still going to be throwing 30-40+ times per game, correct? 

WR room is way too crowded if we add DHop to then draft another.  We still have Shakir, who I still see having a productive career.  Got to address OL.

• Agree 1

26 minutes ago, NewEra said:

I agree, he has a chance….. but let’s be real, Spencer Brown hasn’t been a bum to date?  Doesn’t compute. 

After watching him the last 2 years, I don’t see any reason why we would risk Josh’s health by running it back with 2 guys that got him killed last year.  

does anyone else think Brown has been better than below average? 

The games he’s missed I recall the run game going to complete dog poo.  

He brings a nastiness to the run game no other linemen on the roster has.  

I agree his pass pro was bad last year but they are chalking it up to his early season setbacks.  I’ve said it before I’d draft one but I believe they aren’t giving up on Brown.  We draft one first, that guy is the starter.   

I’m starting to see too many holes and significant ones if an injury happens to that DL or Milano or Poyer.    

I’m not saying not to draft an OT btw.  This is more of a “in defense of Spencer Brown” post.  

I think we can go OT at 34 and I absolutely would consider it - then maybe Ika in Round 3.  I just don’t think McBeane will.  

• Like (+1) 1

11 minutes ago, Chicken Boo said:

That's right.  Gabe Davis is gone next year (maybe even this year) and Josh is still going to be throwing 30-40+ times per game, correct? 

So why would you want Hyatt then? 

you said the best talent. I think you meant was fastest 

15 minutes ago, RyanC883 said:

Avila here.  We need OL upgrades before anything else.  Only 1 of our returning OGs (including FAs) were in the top 50 guards.  Won't cut it.  Avila can play C/G or even tackle at a high level.  something like 4 pressures on around 440 passing snaps last season.  I'd also be okay with one of the OTs remaining here.  

I think I'd rather wait and see if Mauch makes it to 59. Or even trade up a few of spots if things got dicey.🤔. I really like his versatility. 

This topic is OLD. A NEW topic should be started unless there is a very specific reason to revive this one.