Rodgers Traded to Jets Officially

Dablitzkrieg

1 hour ago, BuffaloBillyG said:

You make a lot of valid and not untrue statements here but I feel like there is another train of thought that proves differently.

We have seen teams like the Jets and Dolphins for YEARS throw rosters together with elite free agents. Seems like every big name FA is linked to or signs with one of them. They have elite players...but are not elite as a team. It's a bunch of great players that don't compliment each other with a huge revolving door both at the player level and coaching level. There is a lack of on field leadership and team chemistry which leads to being mediocre. We saw the same thing here in Buffalo under Whaley. Added good players be it a fit or not.

The Bills on the other hand have a lot of good players that form to make a great team. Hyde and Poyer are an excellent example of this. On their own I don't know if either reaches the heights they have together. It's that way in a lot of the position rooms. Yes, the team has holes and needs upgrades. But they guys they do have are close and their skillset compliments each other well. That bring them up some levels in my opinion. The pieces put in place here for the most part fit what we do and that makes the machine run smoother so to speak.

Good post. Yes the way the pieces fit together is very important. My original post was that I felt with the addition of a legitimate quarterback the Jets my be favorite in our division. Didn't mean that as a put down of the Bills at all. Miami and the Jets have made themselves legitimate contenders. Frankly I, at this moment in time, think the Jets have a better defense than ours. With the addition of Rogers unless he has lost more of his game than I think they'll be tough this year. I also stand by my statement that we're a good to very good team but not an elite team as the poster claimed.

Edited by Radar
  • Like (+1) 1

I doubt the Jets win the division with Rodgers at QB mostly because who is calling the plays? Nathaniel Hackett?

Look what happened in Denver with Hackster as HC, it was a joke. The Jet's defense will be good and the offense not so much.

Both Tua and Rodgers contemplated retirement this offseason and what is the saying?..."if you are thinking about retirement you've already retired". 

• Agree 3

1 hour ago, TBBills Fan said:

agree 100%

just as much as one can have their own ego get in the way of the goal.

And my preference is they are hungry and are either counted out or in a under dog role.

Is that easier for you to understand?

No because your premise is incorrect. 

The underdog role can motivate athletes. I think it's much less of a factor with professional athletes. So I hear what you are saying.

However, being a favorite is not a negative nor does undermine motovation, ego, and the hunger to win. That's nonsense. 

It's really that simple but I can see your ego has dug in and you won't bulge. 

15 minutes ago, Nihilarian said:

I doubt the Jets win the division with Rodgers at QB mostly because who is calling the plays? Nathaniel Hackett?

Look what happened in Denver with Hackster as HC, it was a joke. The Jet's defense will be good and the offense not so much.

Both Tua and Rodgers contemplated retirement this offseason and what is the saying?..."if you are thinking about retirement you've already retired". 

Hackett just has to call plays now, not manage the whole game. Much easier

5 minutes ago, newcam2012 said:

No because your premise is incorrect. 

The underdog role can motivate athletes. I think it's much less of a factor with professional athletes. So I hear what you are saying.

However, being a favorite is not a negative nor does undermine motovation, ego, and the hunger to win. That's nonsense. 

It's really that simple but I can see your ego has dug in and you won't bulge. 

no, I just think we dont agree.  thats okay.  

• Disagree 1

1 hour ago, Billl said:

What do you mean it was my argument?  I was responding to your statement that the Jets and Dolphins haven't proven that they could win a division against a team with an elite QB by saying that the same was true of the Bills.

It mattered enough for you to make the statement about NY and Miami, but you suddenly found it irrelevant as soon as the same logic was applied to Buffalo.

No, I said I wasn't worried about the opposition because at this point Allen is in a different tier than the other QB's in the AFC East.   Your argument is that Allen hasn't proven he can win a division with an equally elite QB in it and that Rodgers is the same quality of player he was in his MVP years.   I disagree because I saw a very different Rodgers than you last season.

You also made some other dubious statements about personnel.  Jermaine Johnson is the Jets 5th best draft pick under Douglas and your initial assessment was that he was better than Rousseau? :lol: 

Did you even watch the rest of the NFL last year?   Did you pay any attention when the Chiefs struggled against the AFC's two worst teams?  You seem to think that the bridge has been gapped in the AFC East because the Dolphins and Jets won a couple of VERY close games........but that the Chiefs close division games don't represent anything.   By your rationale the Texans and Colts are better than the Chiefs if they added Rodgers.......because the 2022 Chiefs couldn't beat either of those teams in regulation despite their pathetic QB's. 

• Like (+1) 1
  • Agree 1

2 hours ago, papazoid said:

the bills are built to play on a fast track.......it was sloppy vs playoff cincy

half the defense was out or playing injured vs that cincy game....von, daquan, hyde, poyer, white

some players like saffold were mentally fatigued after all the demar hamlin worries

the bills in the regular season beat themselves in all 3 losses.

the bills are a legit Top 5 team in league and will win the division.....yea the jets got better....but not enough to overtake buf

i say they put it all together this season...... 13-4 and to the super bowl

Ground hog day...

2 hours ago, papazoid said:

the bills are built to play on a fast track.......it was sloppy vs playoff cincy

half the defense was out or playing injured vs that cincy game....von, daquan, hyde, poyer, white

some players like saffold were mentally fatigued after all the demar hamlin worries

the bills in the regular season beat themselves in all 3 losses.

the bills are a legit Top 5 team in league and will win the division.....yea the jets got better....but not enough to overtake buf

i say they put it all together this season...... 13-4 and to the super bowl

Care to add anymore excuses? 

1 hour ago, Radar said:

Good post. Yes the way the pieces fit together is very important. My original post was that I felt with the addition of a legitimate quarterback the Jets my be favorite in our division. Didn't mean that as a put down of the Bills at all. Miami and the Jets have made themselves legitimate contenders. Frankly I, at this moment in time, think the Jets have a better defense than ours. With the addition of Rogers unless he has lost more of his game than I think they'll be tough this year. I also stand by my statement that we're a good to very good team but not an elite team as the poster claimed.

This likely isn't the correct thread for this,  but it does echo what you are saying.  

I heard this from someone on WGR last night who used to be at PFF. When it comes to this draft and other drafts, we have to realize that we will always be in contention with McD, Beane and Allen. The draft should be about grabbing elite talent and traits almost regardless of position and perceived roster holes or strengths. Our view when drafting should be to be able to win 2 to 3 superbowls in a 5 year period, what gets you there is getting the best players you can, even at a perceived strength on the team. If CB this year at 27 is by far the best player available, you draft him, edge etc.

You can always move existing players on your roster once and if they are beat out. If one goes down like tre, you aren't dangerously thin at CB all of a sudden. If you need to move on from Morse, you have that ability if we took bpa at 27 and it was a C. You don't pigeon hole yourself by forcing wr. All stuff most everyone on here knows, but I found the viewpoint to win 2 to 3 in 5 years as opposed to just load up for the season, to be a much different view on acquiring the highest level talent you can get. As you said, there are not many elite players on this team....

• Like (+1) 1
  • Agree 1
  • Thank you (+1) 1

I still don't think this is going to go well for either party, for several reasons:

His off the field comments are going to be constant fodder for the New York media.  This is not the Green Bay Press-Gazette or Milwaukee Journal-Sentinel he is dealing with.  It's going to be a distraction to the team at some level and I suspect it will be a constant source of drama during the season between the Rodgers and the coaching staff.

Rodgers spent his entire career in one organization, one with a history of winning and a fanbase that's got a ton of patience.  Neither of those apply to the New York Jets.  Change at the age of 40 is a lot harder than it is at, say, 26 or 27 when many players hit free agency for the first time.  He's clearly thin skinned and I suspect he's gonna play the blame game if/when things go south, just like he did in his last year in Green Bay.

Finally, Rodgers just wasn't very good last year.  He was in an average division in the easier conference and they still missed the playoffs.  They had a win-and-in game against Detroit, a team he usually defeats with ease... and they lost.  He doesn't strike me as the Tom Brady type of player that will be successful well into his 40s.  His primary motivation this year appears to be to spite the Packers rather than a true desire to play - the guy nearly retired a few months ago.  Spite only gets you so far.

This move just wreaks of desperation to me.  It's something the Bills would have done during the drought - and they did do it with Bledsoe.  That got them a 9-7 season and a bunch of mediocrity.  The reaction to this trade feels a lot like the Russell Wilson trade - that the AFC West was gonna be this super competitive division and that the Chiefs better watch out.  Call me a homer, but I'm just not convinced this is gonna work for the Jets.

• Like (+1) 3

2 hours ago, BADOLBILZ said:

No, I said I wasn't worried about the opposition because at this point Allen is in a different tier than the other QB's in the AFC East.   Your argument is that Allen hasn't proven he can win a division with an equally elite QB in it and that Rodgers is the same quality of player he was in his MVP years.   I disagree because I saw a very different Rodgers than you last season.

You also made some other dubious statements about personnel.  Jermaine Johnson is the Jets 5th best draft pick under Douglas and your initial assessment was that he was better than Rousseau? :lol: 

Did you even watch the rest of the NFL last year?   Did you pay any attention when the Chiefs struggled against the AFC's two worst teams?  You seem to think that the bridge has been gapped in the AFC East because the Dolphins and Jets won a couple of VERY close games........but that the Chiefs close division games don't represent anything.   By your rationale the Texans and Colts are better than the Chiefs if they added Rodgers.......because the 2022 Chiefs couldn't beat either of those teams in regulation despite their pathetic QB's. 

This is your quote:
“So why can't you understand the perspective that a logical fan will believe that the Jets or Dolphins will unseat the Bills when they ACTUALLY prove they can outperform an elite QB'd team over 17 games?”

YOU brought up the idea that a team needs to prove that they can win a division against an elite QB.  My response was that the Bills have also never outperformed an elite QB over the course of a season.  It’s either important (in which case Allen has something to prove) or it isn’t (and the Dolphins/Jets have nothing to prove in this regard).  You’ve got to pick a lane, though.

Now show me where I said Johnson was better than Rousseau.  (You can’t because it didn’t happen). What I did do was compare several picks that were similar in terms of when they were made, where they were taken in the draft, and their respective positions. The Jets have recently taken Sauce Gardner in the first.  The Bills took Elam.  Jets took Breece Hall.  Bills took James Cook.  Jets took Quinnen Williams.  Bills took Ed Oliver.  Jets took Jermaine Johnson.  Bills took Rousseau (and Basham and Epenesa).  The Jets took Garret Wilson.  The Bills took Davis and Shakir (who aren’t really comps in terms of where they were drafted).  The Jets didn’t get the better player every single time, but in totality they’ve massively outperformed Buffalo in the draft in recent years…and they just added Rodgers while Buffalo just lost one of their best young players as a cap casualty.  Your take-away from that has been to say that Rousseau is better than Johnson and then spike the football.  

Now I’m not sure why you keep trying to inject the Chiefs into the conversation, but they lost one game to a bad team in week 3.  Nobody is claiming that the Chiefs were the best team in football in the first half of the season.  The Bills already hung that banner.  The Chiefs were expected to take a step back.  They had 8 rookies and 6 second year players play meaningful snaps this season.  It took a while for them to gel, but it turned out pretty well in the end.  What they were in week 3 has no bearing on the future, as those players have improved and will continue to improve.  

Meanwhile, the Bills fielded a team of veterans who were a finished product week 1.  The problem is that they started to show their age as the season progressed.  Guys like Miller, White, Hyde, and Poyer were useless by the end of the year and they won’t be younger nor have less wear and tear on them next season.  So I guess it makes sense that you’d prefer to talk about week 3 of the regular season than the postseason, but I think we both know what presents a clearer picture of where each team is going forward.  That brings us back to my point in this thread.  The Jets have a solid roster loaded with young talent.  Adding an elite, HOF QB to the mix absolutely makes them serious contenders for the division.

2 minutes ago, Billl said:

This is your quote:
“So why can't you understand the perspective that a logical fan will believe that the Jets or Dolphins will unseat the Bills when they ACTUALLY prove they can outperform an elite QB'd team over 17 games?”

YOU brought up the idea that a team needs to prove that they can win a division against an elite QB.  My response was that the Bills have also never outperformed an elite QB over the course of a season.  It’s either important (in which case Allen has something to prove) or it isn’t (and the Dolphins/Jets have nothing to prove in this regard).  You’ve got to pick a lane, though.

Now show me where I said Johnson was better than Rousseau.  (You can’t because it didn’t happen). What I did do was compare several picks that were similar in terms of when they were made, where they were taken in the draft, and their respective positions. The Jets have recently taken Sauce Gardner in the first.  The Bills took Elam.  Jets took Breece Hall.  Bills took James Cook.  Jets took Quinnen Williams.  Bills took Ed Oliver.  Jets took Jermaine Johnson.  Bills took Rousseau (and Basham and Epenesa).  The Jets took Garret Wilson.  The Bills took Davis and Shakir (who aren’t really comps in terms of where they were drafted).  The Jets didn’t get the better player every single time, but in totality they’ve massively outperformed Buffalo in the draft in recent years…and they just added Rodgers while Buffalo just lost one of their best young players as a cap casualty.  Your take-away from that has been to say that Rousseau is better than Johnson and then spike the football.  

Now I’m not sure why you keep trying to inject the Chiefs into the conversation, but they lost one game to a bad team in week 3.  Nobody is claiming that the Chiefs were the best team in football in the first half of the season.  The Bills already hung that banner.  The Chiefs were expected to take a step back.  They had 8 rookies and 6 second year players play meaningful snaps this season.  It took a while for them to gel, but it turned out pretty well in the end.  What they were in week 3 has no bearing on the future, as those players have improved and will continue to improve.  

Meanwhile, the Bills fielded a team of veterans who were a finished product week 1.  The problem is that they started to show their age as the season progressed.  Guys like Miller, White, Hyde, and Poyer were useless by the end of the year and they won’t be younger nor have less wear and tear on them next season.  So I guess it makes sense that you’d prefer to talk about week 3 of the regular season than the postseason, but I think we both know what presents a clearer picture of where each team is going forward.  That brings us back to my point in this thread.  The Jets have a solid roster loaded with young talent.  Adding an elite, HOF QB to the mix absolutely makes them serious contenders for the division.

It helps that the Jets have had multiple first rounders and are always picking near the top of the draft. We'll see how it turns out. I'm not sold on 39 year old Rodgers. If he plays well, the Jets are dangerous. 

• Like (+1) 1

2 minutes ago, Billl said:

This is your quote:

Right.......that is the end of a response to your claims that the Bills division winning results are fraudulent because they haven't had to play elite QB's in their division.  

Which neglects the fact that the Chiefs have had a cake walk schedule of non-elite QB'd teams in their division since before Mahomes entered the league 6 years ago.   

I know you and @Zerovoltz come here because your Chiefs sites are full of garbage illogical posts from idiots who don't get the nuance of the game.   But you're not making much sense here either.  

You've determined that to your casual fans eye that the Bills are circling the drain and old.   So rather than realizing that the facts are that the Bills have beaten the Chiefs in Arrowhead two straight seasons and have had the highest point differential in the NFL in that time period you are making a broad assumption that they have cycled out simply because they didn't beat your team in the playoffs.

The reality is that they are still rightfully one of the strongest SB favorites.  Just like the Chiefs still were even though they blew a 24 point lead the AFCCG and got rid of Tyreek and Mathieu while there was a general perception that the AFC West had CLEARLY improved themselves across the board.......just like the Dolphins and Jets have!  

If you aren't worried about the Jets as a Chiefs fan then there certainly isn't any reason for the Bills to be. :lol: 

• Awesome! (+1) 2
  • Thank you (+1) 1

This topic is OLD. A NEW topic should be started unless there is a very specific reason to revive this one.