NFL Schedule Interview with Mike North by Sal C Up

corta765

Hey everyone the annual interview Sal from WGR is up with Mike North on the NFL schedule. It is a superb listen and informative on how everything comes together:

My takeaways as a schedule guru:

-opening not prob not BUF, CHI or DET might be the fav
-thanksgiving for Bills no, but Black Friday def possible & I could see Thursday game before or after with new rule
-at MIA week 18 pencil in

-Saturday Buffalo probably likely again in the group of 5 games that is selected.
-Probably more home games earlier this year but still some DEC. 
-Bills Jets will happen TNF/SNF/MNF probably first 5 weeks 
-Buffalo will max primetime (6 plus one flex) and it will be spread throughout.
-Bills KC my guess MNF close to holidays

-DEN very possible opponent as they have said they are open to going again

• Thank you (+1) 5

43 minutes ago, corta765 said:

Hey everyone the annual interview Sal from WGR is up with Mike North on the NFL schedule. It is a superb listen and informative on how everything comes together:

-thanksgiving for Bills no, but Black Friday def possible & I could see Thursday game before or after with new rule

-Saturday Buffalo probably likely again in the group of 5 games that is selected.

Chicago or Detroit? The opener is gonna be in Kansas City. Why the hell would it be Detroit or Chicago?

• Like (+1) 1

48 minutes ago, corta765 said:

My main takeaway was “if you don’t Iike 1:00 PM games then…get used to it!”

It sounds like BUF, KC, and CIN are going to be on TV all the time 

• Like (+1) 1

I will guess 5 primetime games. 

I think the Bills open at home this year after opening at LA last year.

I think the game vs the Bengals will be Sunday afternoon after what happened on MNF last year with Damar. The league won't put that game on primetime this year.

If the Jets get Rodgers, then one of the games against them is a slam dunk for primetime. Rodgers vs Allen.

KC will probably be another primetime game. Could also see the Cowboys. Eagles or Giants as primetime possibilities.

Edited by Gregg
  • Agree 1

1 hour ago, corta765 said:

Genius they would be going to KC

Yeah, I didn't know that but I definitely can't see the Lions going there. Maybe Chicago but that would be disappointing. The Bears on Primetime are terrible but it could be a possibility I guess

Edited by Buffalo03

North didn’t rule out the season opener,

but I don’t expect it.  I love 1pm Sunday,

but being a National contender is worth it as I get up at 4:30 am most mornings.

if these guys could figure out 7 pm meaning 7:30, I’d be happy as they will finish on those at 10:30.  Considering 65% if america lives east of the Mississippi, why not not.  If you add mountain time it’s even higher.  There is not that many people on west coast time.

• Agree 1

11 minutes ago, Buffalo03 said:

Yeah, I didn't know that but I definitely can't see the Lions going there. Maybe Chicago but that would be disappointing. The Bears on Primetime are terrible but it could be a possibility I guess

I can't see the Lions or Bears playing week 1 at KC. The Chiefs have better opponents to choose from. The 2023 Chiefs home schedule is the Bills, Dolphins, Bengals, Eagles, Bears, Lions, plus the division. 

1 hour ago, Buffalo03 said:

The logic Mike had is that they usually draw pretty strong opening night and with Detroit being a hot team last year and Chicago having Fields and some hype they can draw similar numbers without touching Bills - Phins - Bengals- Eagles or AFCW. Pretty much every home game for KC you could make an argument for primetime. As a Bills fan I am all for not starting in KC.

58 minutes ago, Gregg said:

I can't see the Lions or Bears playing week 1 at KC. The Chiefs have better opponents to choose from. The 2023 Chiefs home schedule is the Bills, Dolphins, Bengals, Eagles, Bears, Lions, plus the division. 

But they don't generally want that game to be the best possible game on the SB winner's schedule. 

Detroit would be a fun game

CBS will refuse to relinquish one of KC/BUF or KC/CIN, the league likes to put the other ones towards at least the middle of the season 

• Like (+1) 1

5 hours ago, JohnNord said:

My main takeaway was “if you don’t Iike 1:00 PM games then…get used to it!”

It sounds like BUF, KC, and CIN are going to be on TV all the time 

3 hours ago, Buffalo03 said:

Detroit was solid last season and is a definitely an up and coming team.  They are fun to watch and play with a lot of juice under Dan Campbell.  That would be an entertaining opening Thursday nite game.  As for Chicago,  they are as painful as it gets to watch.  The Chicago-Green Bay opener a few years ago, (maybe it was a Sunday niter was as boring a game as humanly possible.  10-7 I believe.)  KC would win against the Bears 42-7.  The NFL aint having that on any day of the week.  

5 hours ago, corta765 said:

The logic Mike had is that they usually draw pretty strong opening night and with Detroit being a hot team last year and Chicago having Fields and some hype they can draw similar numbers without touching Bills - Phins - Bengals- Eagles or AFCW. Pretty much every home game for KC you could make an argument for primetime. As a Bills fan I am all for not starting in KC.

Who wants to watch the Bears/Fields??

11 hours ago, Aussie Joe said:

They will be looking to show off Rodgers NYJ debut in a Prime time game..

Could be Bills v Jets week 1 Sunday or Monday night…

The first MNF game this year falls on 9/11. The New York Post suggested about a month or so ago that the Jets and Giants should face each other week 1 as the two NYC area teams. They suggested they could have a special ceremony honoring/remembering the victims before the game. This wasn't an NFL rumor or anything, but a suggestion made by the New York Post. We will see if the league will do it in a few weeks when the schedule comes out.

• Like (+1) 1
  • Agree 1

12 hours ago, Aussie Joe said:

They will be looking to show off Rodgers NYJ debut in a Prime time game..

Could be Bills v Jets week 1 Sunday or Monday night…

I had thought the same but with 9/11 Monday and Giants/Jets playing this year I have thought they put that as the opener for SNF or MNF.

12 hours ago, Mr. WEO said:

Who wants to watch the Bears/Fields??

Fields was pretty dynamic last year and Chicago is a massive market. As long as the NFL thinks the game matters come 4th quarter I can easily see it happening.

• Like (+1) 1

21 hours ago, corta765 said:

NoThanksgiving! We lost Tre and Von in bk2bk yrs on that day. 

• Agree 2

17 hours ago, arcane said:

But they don't generally want that game to be the best possible game on the SB winner's schedule. 

Bills opening against the Rams was always likely the best possible game for the Rams last year so I think we have to throw that logic out. KC has enough good opponents, especially within their division, despite Denver and Russ' season last year people will still tune into a Denver vs KC game. Especially now with Sean Payton there. 

Very hard for me to see it being Bears or Lions. Especially the Bears. If that is the case, then why didn't the NFL just give the Rams their worst opponent on their schedule to open last year? 

Bears and Lions would be the last two teams on KC's home schedule that I would think on opening night. I'm guessing Eagles, Bengals, or Denver.

Could see Bills at Jets Sunday Night opener. Although, Jets/Giants Monday Sept 11 is a good idea.

1 hour ago, NastyNateSoldiers said:

NoThanksgiving! We lost Tre and Von in bk2bk yrs on that day. 

Honestly I despise playing on Thanksgiving before even thinking about guys out injuired. My family has people over at 12:30 then I drive back to Rochester for dinner at 4pm, then come home to get the kids in bed by 730. At least the Dallas game we could stay the whole time, but the other two either I missed part of it or it was late where I was passing out.

Thanksgiving Sunday is an elite football day to relax after the holiday and games on that day when it is your team blow.

3 hours ago, corta765 said:

I had thought the same but with 9/11 Monday and Giants/Jets playing this year I have thought they put that as the opener for SNF or MNF.

Fields was pretty dynamic last year and Chicago is a massive market. As long as the NFL thinks the game matters come 4th quarter I can easily see it happening.

Dynamic?  Not a as a QB.  He's a bad passer.  Great runner.  So was Vince Young.  In the 4th Q, he has thrown thrown for the least yards and only 59% completions with 4 total TDs vs ints and 15 sacks and only 13 1st downs.  His average net yards per attempt in the 4th is a miserable 1.8.  The 4th Q is his worst.   The Bears got blown out in 4 of their last 5 games.

Chicago is a large market, but outside of that metro, who wants to see Fields run for 75, pass for 140 and take 4-5 sacks---other than the opposing team's viewers? 

This topic is OLD. A NEW topic should be started unless there is a very specific reason to revive this one.