Sean McDermott excited about calling the Defense

Sierra Foothills

I know we discussed this previously in the context of Leslie Frazier not returning.

Most of that discussion was negative and there almost seemed a consensus that managing the game as a Head Coach and calling plays as a Coordinator were at cross-purposes with failure being the most likely outcome.

The other takeaway from that topic was the feeling that the departure of Frazier had to do with the fanbase losing patience and the need for McDermott to address that with greater involvement and accountability.

This article came out today:

https://www.buffalobills.com/news/sean-mcdermott-excited-about-calling-plays-middle-linebacker-competition-and-the

Is it possible that McDermott taking on play calling duties will be the catalyst that reinvigorates McDermott and the defense?

"I was excited yesterday to get in the room a little bit, that group, the defense, and kind of rolling up my sleeves and getting back to wearing that hat again. So I'm excited about it."

"It's part of how I got here," he said of calling plays. "So I just think you'll be in the defensive staff room, having those critical conversations that come up solving problems, trying to evolve where we need to evolve, and where the game is going. And then working hand in hand with our players. Again, that's been mostly the assistants to this point. Then together with the staff figuring some things out and it just feels good."

Personally I'm optimistic.

• Like (+1) 3
  • Awesome! (+1) 2
  • Thank you (+1) 1

12 minutes ago, Sierra Foothills said:

I know we discussed this previously in the context of Leslie Frazier not returning.

Most of that discussion was negative and there almost seemed a consensus that managing the game as a Head Coach and calling plays as a Coordinator were at cross-purposes with failure being the most likely outcome.

The other takeaway from that topic was the feeling that the departure of Frazier had to do with the fanbase losing patience and the need for McDermott to address that with greater involvement and accountability.

https://www.buffalobills.com/news/sean-mcdermott-excited-about-calling-plays-middle-linebacker-competition-and-the

Is it possible that McDermott taking on play calling duties will be the catalyst that reinvigorates McDermott and the defense?

"I was excited yesterday to get in the room a little bit, that group, the defense, and kind of rolling up my sleeves and getting back to wearing that hat again. So I'm excited about it."

"It's part of how I got here," he said of calling plays. "So I just think you'll be in the defensive staff room, having those critical conversations that come up solving problems, trying to evolve where we need to evolve, and where the game is going. And then working hand in hand with our players. Again, that's been mostly the assistants to this point. Then together with the staff figuring some things out and it just feels good."

McDermott got the job cause he was one of the elite defensive minds in the league. The defense will be fine and probably be a bit more aggressive 

• Like (+1) 5
  • Agree 3

38 minutes ago, Sierra Foothills said:

His input with the defense should've been inserted all along. Maybe we wouldn't have had 13 seconds. Andy Reid knows when to attribute his knowledge to KCs offense. 

• Like (+1) 1

1 minute ago, Doc said:

I have little doubt that they wanted to keep Frazier as a coach, but strip him of play-calling duties.  Hence he left.

Anyone's guess about what exactly went down, but from what was made public it certainly seemed it was handled very respectfully by Bills. 

• Agree 1

17 minutes ago, Einstein said:

This is the pivotal make or break moment of his career.

For many coaches, firing their coordinator and taking over play-calling is the last ditch effort before they are let go.

This isn't what happened.

• Like (+1) 3
  • Thank you (+1) 1

28 minutes ago, Einstein said:

For many coaches, firing their coordinator and taking over play-calling is the last ditch effort before they are let go.

11 minutes ago, MJS said:

This isn't what happened.

You don't agree with Einstein above... would you agree with Zag below? Would you say that McDermott is on thinner ice than he was one year ago?

1 hour ago, Zag20 said:

It brings his tenure to crescendo and will cement his legacy as a Buffalo legend or merely a good HC that couldn’t quite make it to glory town.

32 minutes ago, Einstein said:

This is the year. Super Bowl or rebuild front office. We are at a crossroads and McD knows it. We have to reach our potential. 

6 minutes ago, Sierra Foothills said:

You don't agree with Einstein above... would you agree with Zag below? Would you say that McDermott is on thinner ice than he was one year ago?

The ice is still pretty thick.

• Like (+1) 4

38 minutes ago, Einstein said:

If the team doesn't improve, yes.

• Like (+1) 1

All I know is when McD has taken over the play calls periodically during his tenure here, it feels like the defense plays with a bit more of an edge. It also seems like he's more willing to take risks and call some more unique things. 

I know it was out of necessity in 2020 when they had to switch things up defensively, but it looked like they were more in an attack mode rather than a "sit back and keep it in front of us" mode.

I think it's a needed change. Les Frazier is a great coach and the players love him. I just feel like he kind of hit his ceiling here. Didn't see a lot of different wrinkles or unique things from his defense over the years. And unfortunately, in the big moments, it really seems like he goes all deer in the headlights and things fall apart.

I'm looking forward to seeing what Sean can do. Should be interesting at the very least. 

• Like (+1) 2
  • Agree 1

1 minute ago, blacklabel said:

All I know is when McD has taken over the play calls periodically during his tenure here, it feels like the defense plays with a bit more of an edge. It also seems like he's more willing to take risks and call some more unique things. 

I know it was out of necessity in 2020 when they had to switch things up defensively, but it looked like they were more in an attack mode rather than a "sit back and keep it in front of us" mode.

I think it's a needed change. Les Frazier is a great coach and the players love him. I just feel like he kind of hit his ceiling here. Didn't see a lot of different wrinkles or unique things from his defense over the years. And unfortunately, in the big moments, it really seems like he goes all deer in the headlights and things fall apart.

I'm looking forward to seeing what Sean can do. Should be interesting at the very least. 

Solid take.

Frazier was beloved and respected by his players but I believe that he was not feared.

Those who have studied human performance understand why fear is considered the most powerful motivator. They know that the most base human instinct is the survival instinct and that when elite athletes are confronted with fear, they fight to the death. The careers of the defensive players is now directly in the hands of their head coach, not their kindly defensive coordinator.

• Like (+1) 1
  • Dislike 1

2 hours ago, Sierra Foothills said:

Wasnt negative from me, I almost threw a party to celebrate Frazier wasn't calling the defense this year.  That IMHO is best improvement to this team heading into 2023.  I have so much more excitement and confidence in McD calling the D than I did watching Fraziers playoff defense collapse and get abused year after year.  

I am quite excited to see McD call the D this year personally.  Maybe it works out, maybe it doesn't.  But it at least feels good to be doing something different than doing the same thing over and over again with Frazier that has been a disaster 3 straight playoff losses.  

• Like (+1) 2
  • Agree 2

This topic is OLD. A NEW topic should be started unless there is a very specific reason to revive this one.