Who is Julius Brents, Cornerback, Kansas State ? (28 team interview requests)

Chaos

28 NFL teams have requested interviews with Julius Brents. I have not seen much (maybe no discussion) of him on TBD.  Why is he in such demand?

The second most popular player Kelee Ringo has 11, no one else has more than 8.  

• Like (+1) 1
  • Disagree 1

12 minutes ago, BillsFanForever19 said:

https://www.nfl.com/prospects/julius-brents/32004252-4551-0110-2798-7a9b05aa2760

6'3" Corner with 34" arms. Don't need to say anything else.

Up until now he has been projected as a consensus 2nd or 3rd round draft pick. 

should we be expecing him as the Bills first rounder if he is still there? 

image.thumb.png.d50deb85580705b6be4a75d4b321a6d7.png

• Haha (+1) 1

10 hours ago, Chaos said:

Up until now he has been projected as a consensus 2nd or 3rd round draft pick. 

should we be expecing him as the Bills first rounder if he is still there? 

image.thumb.png.d50deb85580705b6be4a75d4b321a6d7.png

No, I think it's just a matter of a mid round prospect having Elite measurables. So it doesn't shock me that most of the teams in the league want to sit him down, get to know him, and pick his brain to see if he's someone they can squeeze a diamond out of in a mid round pick.

But if he interviews really well with a team, it wouldn't shock me to see him be a player that gets "overdrafted" in experts eyes.

Side note: with Tre White, Kaiir Elam, Dane Jackson, and Christian Benford as Outside CB's and Taron Johnson in the Nickel - we're loaded at CB. So much so, there's been discussion of moving Benford to Safety (which with the return of Poyer and the addition of Rapp seems unnecessary). There's no way we take a CB in Round 1 or even Round 2. 

Edited by BillsFanForever19
  • Like (+1) 1

14 hours ago, BillsFanForever19 said:

Side note: with Tre White, Kaiir Elam, Dane Jackson, and Christian Benford as Outside CB's and Taron Johnson in the Nickel - we're loaded at CB. So much so, there's been discussion of moving Benford to Safety (which with the return of Poyer and the addition of Rapp seems unnecessary). There's no way we take a CB in Round 1 or even Round 2. 

Is post-injury Tre White going to be as good as pre-injury Tre white?

Esp with the WR's we face,

Buffalo draws 13 of the top 20 receivers in the league, including every All-Pro other than Jefferson [and Diggs].

After the Hamlin game and the Mia & Cinci playoff games I came away thinking our secondary cannot handle the top wideouts in this league, esp with a meh pass rush.

1 minute ago, BearNorth said:

Buffalo draws 13 of the top 20 receivers in the league, including every All-Pro other than Jefferson [and Diggs].

After the Hamlin game and the Mia & Cinci playoff games I came away thinking our secondary cannot handle the top wideouts in this league, esp with a meh pass rush.

Too much Jackson. This team should have been starting Elam from day 1. He’s the best cover guy we have at this stage. Our game day roster management is still our own worst enemy. It’s truly senseless. Elam should be our number 1 guy with White settling into the crafty veteran #2. Do not draft another CB early come on. We need a ton of other thing’s significantly more. And our 1st round rookie CB barely even saw the field last year. Stop wasting entire years of high picks in Allen’s prime 

• Like (+1) 1
  • Agree 2

I'm from Kansas, so I've watched him quite a bit....4 INT's this year, so not bad. He's a really big Corner who always contests every jump ball. He's started the last couple of years at K-State, after transferring over from Iowa, and I like what I've seen. I think the weaknesses that he has can be coached up, considering our staff has quite a bit of experience with that....and I think his strengths definitely outweigh his weaknesses, in my opinion. 

• Like (+1) 1

3 hours ago, Brianmoorman4jesus said:

Too much Jackson. This team should have been starting Elam from day 1. He’s the best cover guy we have at this stage. Our game day roster management is still our own worst enemy. It’s truly senseless. Elam should be our number 1 guy with White settling into the crafty veteran #2. Do not draft another CB early come on. We need a ton of other thing’s significantly more. And our 1st round rookie CB barely even saw the field last year. Stop wasting entire years of high picks in Allen’s prime 

He's the best cover guy we have at this stage.

At that stage, he wasn't. That's why he didn't start. He was really good at man-to-man, which he did almost exclusively in college, but lacking at zone, which is most of what the Bills do.

Not playing a guy who's not good enough to play yet isn't wasting time. It's making sense. It's what nearly every team will do, play their best guy. Especially for a team that made a high priority of getting the #1 seed last year. Made total sense. 

And you can learn on the bench, playing part time and getting coached through the week. Which showed as he got a bunch better at zone and near the last few games of the season started to look very good.

18 hours ago, BillsFanForever19 said:

No, I think it's just a matter of a mid round prospect having Elite measurables. So it doesn't shock me that most of the teams in the league want to sit him down, get to know him, and pick his brain to see if he's someone they can squeeze a diamond out of in a mid round pick.

But if he interviews really well with a team, it wouldn't shock me to see him be a player that gets "overdrafted" in experts eyes.

Your description is spot on, and is an example of why “BPA” is always at a position of need, why would the Bills take this guy when it surely means we would be moving on from a guy or two who we value. All the effort in doing that would certainly be better used improving, well, let’s say for instance, The O-Line…, 

• Thank you (+1) 1

6 hours ago, Brianmoorman4jesus said:

Last year, that wasn't saying much. Even so, Elam wasn't the best.  He gave up a 70% of his targets for an opponent rating of 96.  Jackson (with more targets) gave up far less at 59% and rating of 82

8 hours ago, BearNorth said:

After the Hamlin game? You mean when we were down to our 3rd Free Safety? Tre White was just getting his feet under him, Jordan Poyer was playing hurt, and Christian Benford was hurt.

We'll be going into the season with Micah Hyde returning from injury, Tre White will have a full offseason, Poyer was re-signed, Dane was re-signed, Taylor Rapp was added, Elam will have a year under his belt, as will Benford, who will go into the year 100%

We can't just assume White won't return to form and look to replace him already with a 1st or 2nd Round Pick. 

If there's a player who falls that can't be passed on in Round 3 or later, go nuts. But those first 2 Rounds have to be a WR, LB, OL, TE, or DT (in no particular order). We're set in the Secondary.

• Like (+1) 1

1 minute ago, BillsFanForever19 said:

After the Hamlin game? You mean when we were down to our 3rd Free Safety? Tre White was just getting his feet under him, Jordan Poyer was playing hurt, and Christian Benford was hurt.

We'll be going into the season with Micah Hyde returning from injury, Tre White will have a full offseason, Poyer was re-signed, Dane was re-signed, Taylor Rapp was added, Elam will have a year and under his belt, as will Benford.

We can't just assume White won't return to form and look to replace him already with a 1st or 2nd Round Pick. 

If there's a player who falls that can't be passed on in Round 3 or later, go nuts. But those first 2 Rounds have to be a WR, LB, OL, TE, or DT (in no particular order). We're set in the Secondary.

Yes but if white isn’t 100% ever again then maybe planning for the future without him now is best. 

but they shouldn’t go CB in 1 or 2 

3 minutes ago, mrags said:

Yes but if white isn’t 100% ever again then maybe planning for the future without him now is best. 

but they shouldn’t go CB in 1 or 2 

If they want to take a guy they like in the mid rounds, sure. But you don't take a guy in the 1st or 2nd as insurance. Especially with the holes we have elsewhere. If he fails this season, then you move on and replace him next offseason. 

Just now, BillsFanForever19 said:

If they want to take a guy they like in the mid rounds, sure. But you don't take a guy in the 1st or 2nd as insurance. If he fails this season, then you move on and replace him next offseason. 

McD has shown he favors the Defensive backfield though. 

5 minutes ago, mrags said:

McD has shown he favors the Defensive backfield though. 

Yes, that's why we already have Tre White, Kaiir Elam, Taron Johnson (Nickel), Dane Jackson and Christian Benford at CB and Micah Hyde, Jordan Poyer, and Taylor Rapp at Safety. The guys we already have coming off the bench could start on some other teams.

Even discussing a top pick at CB with the depth we have there and the holes we have at other positions is madness.

Just now, BillsFanForever19 said:

Yes, that's why we already have Tre White, Kaiir Elam, Taron Johnson (Nickel), Dane Jackson and Christian Benford at CB and Micah Hyde, Jordan Poyer, and Taylor Rapp at Safety. The guys we already have coming off the bench could start on other teams.

Even discussing a top pick at CB with the depth we have there and the holes we have at other positions is madness.

I’m just thinking like how McD thinks. Don’t rule it out. 

• Like (+1) 1

23 minutes ago, mrags said:

I’m just thinking like how McD thinks. Don’t rule it out. 

Oh, I'm ruling it out. Anything is possible. It's possible to Draft a QB at 27.

But to do so with all the help this team needs would be in an inexcusably dumb move that would deserveably garner backlash and be immediately pointed to postseason if the team were to underachieve this year as a result of failures at other positions that were neglected.

2 minutes ago, BillsFanForever19 said:

Oh, I'm ruling it out. Anything is possible. It's possible to Draft a QB at 27.

But to do so with all the help this team needs would be in an inexcusably dumb move that would deserveably garner backlash and be immediately pointed to postseason if the team were to underachieve this year. 

It would def be dumb. I’m just saying don’t rule out McClappy going heavy defense. Especially since he’s the one running the D now 

2 hours ago, Mr. WEO said:

Last year, that wasn't saying much. Even so, Elam wasn't the best.  He gave up a 70% of his targets for an opponent rating of 96.  Jackson (with more targets) gave up far less at 59% and rating of 82

Be that as it is, Three interceptions is nothing to ignore in a rookie season, just sayin, Elam has, imo, far more upside than Jackson, and needs all the reps he can get.

2 hours ago, Don Otreply said:

Be that as it is, Three interceptions is nothing to ignore in a rookie season, just sayin, Elam has, imo, far more upside than Jackson, and needs all the reps he can get.

maybe he’s better than Jackson.  Last year he wasn’t close.

ints are nice but not every one is a great play, just a bad pass to a defender off the receiver 

On 4/1/2023 at 7:07 PM, BillsFanForever19 said:

Some draft web sites are calling Brents a safety.  He certainly has the size to make the move to safety.  The question is whether or not he has the mental makeup to make the switch.

This topic is OLD. A NEW topic should be started unless there is a very specific reason to revive this one.