Edmunds to Bears

Roundybout

1 hour ago, HappyDays said:

Hahaha they traded Roquon Smith just to turn around and pay Edmunds? Just a bizarre move.

It kind of is a bizarre move. 

While Roquan Smith's contract sounds huge (5 years, $100,000), it's $45M guaranteed at signing with very moderate cap hits the next 2 years.

We'll have to wait for the details, but 4 years, $72M with $50M guaranteed - for that, you'd think they could have kept Smith who IMHO is the better player.

image.png

• Like (+1) 2

5 minutes ago, Kirby Jackson said:

Edmunds STRENGTH was his pass defense. If you’re always leading, as the Bills are, that’s more important. His length and athleticism won’t be easy to replace. The Bills will take a step back there. Losing Edmunds ABSOLUTELY makes the Bills worse.  If the offense improves by enough, it hopefully won’t matter.

In a perfect world I would have liked to keep Edmunds. His departure isn't unexpected. Agree it's a hole the Bills need to address. Hopefully, Edmunds replacement play well.

There does seem to be good news with the loss of Edmunds. The Bills and Beane are focusing more on offensive needs. Something the team and Allen need despite great offensive statistics. 

• Agree 2

1 minute ago, JerseyBills said:

I was an Edmunds cheerleader when he was getting trashed on this board. I'd love him back for less.

I just ultimately hate his instincts , especially compared to Milano. His length and sideline to sideline speed was great but he was average at best in the run gm

I don’t completely disagree. I’d say “above-average” but not elite against the run. He was/is a very good player. Edmunds will be tough to replace. They just couldn’t justify $18M AAV. I’m surprised that he got that when guys like Pratt got $7m-$8m AAV (or whatever). 

1 hour ago, KingBoots8 said:

Thank you 49 - glad you got paid, also glad we didn’t pay what you got. Wish you the best minus across the field from us

Good post, it’s a lot different not wanting to win a bidding war for him than denigrating his talent. We couldn’t retain him but in a conventional 4/3 with him outside, he thrives.

• Like (+1) 2

Just now, newcam2012 said:

In a perfect world I would have liked to keep Edmunds. His departure isn't unexpected. Agree it's a hole the Bills need to address. Hopefully, Edmunds replacement play well.

There does seem to be good news with the loss of Edmunds. The Bills and Beane are focusing more on offensive needs. Something the team and Allen need despite great offensive statistics. 

I agree.

I have a feeling that there is a big offensive move out there. Maybe it is Hopkins or Henry or Jeudy

That's a deal a rebuilding team can afford.  Teams with legit Super Bowl aspirations cannot afford to pay a star salary to one good player.  One of the drought era Bills teams would have done that deal, and we all probably would have liked it.

• Like (+1) 1
  • Agree 1

1 minute ago, Eastport bills said:

Good post, it’s a lot different not wanting to win a bidding war for him than denigrating his talent. We couldn’t retain him but in a conventional 4/3 with him outside, he thrives.

Maybe. I don't think I ever seen him except maybe one or two times effective on a blitz where he was untouched.

8 minutes ago, nucci said:

we need to stop playing nickel all the time. Teams ran on us late in the season. We need LBs

i dont disagree, just sucks to have the best NCB in the game, have given him a nice contract, and now hes a very situational player?

Nobody shoot me here, but if theoretically we go back to a 4-3, what would taron's trade value be?  not advocating it, just thinking of questions beanes sorting through

• Disagree 1

2 minutes ago, Eastport bills said:

Do you think the Bears are going to play a conventional 4/3 with Edmunds outside?

1 minute ago, Kirby Jackson said:

I don’t completely disagree. I’d say “above-average” but not elite against the run. He was/is a very good player. Edmunds will be tough to replace. They just couldn’t justify $18M AAV. I’m surprised that he got that when guys like Pratt got $7m-$8m AAV (or whatever). 

That's what I'm saying,  we could have very little drop off for close to the same production 

I'll miss him most for his length and giving QBs trouble over the middle in the pass game 

Just now, BillsShredder83 said:

i dont disagree, just sucks to have the best NCB in the game, have given him a nice contract, and now hes a very situational player?

Nobody shoot me here, but if theoretically we go back to a 4-3, what would taron's trade value be?  not advocating it, just thinking of questions beanes sorting through

We're not going back to a 4-3

12 minutes ago, Aussie Joe said:

Too rich for our blood..

To be honest, I dont even know if you can justify paying him $15m per year.. let only $18m .... certainly not when our OL is a sieve...

We await the short term replacement.. and they might need to take a another swing on the longer term guy in the draft as Bernard may already be a lost cause...

Just no. blows my mind that ppl are ready to give up on a player so fast. we took him knowing he needed a year to bulk up. maybe that combined with a 3 LBer scheme, could be very interesting

This topic is OLD. A NEW topic should be started unless there is a very specific reason to revive this one.