Where were you 40 years ago?

Just Jack

I was 6 and I don't remember watching M*A*S*H growing up in fact I've never watched a full episodes even when see an episode in syndication. Probably because my dad served in Vietnam where he filed reports of MIAs and POWs and eventually shifted to the reserves. He doesn't talk about it much and I don't bring it up as know it's tough subject. As I was ready to enroll in the early 90s and that was about when he was ready to retire from the reserves. He told me not to as this was just before Desert Shield/Storm and warned me of what was going down. 

• Agree 1

During the show,  we got a call. My mother's  father died.  That's why I remember the date was Feb 28th.  He was 94 and died at home . He was born 134 years ago in Poland in 1888.  Wow!!

My mom outlived him by a year. She was 95 when she died in 2021.

Edited by Wacka
  • Like (+1) 4

I remember this well; it was a big deal at the time.  

Honestly, when I have seen re-runs of MASH in recent years, it really doesn't hold up very well IMO.

Dated television.  It's moved so much further down the road now.

• Disagree 1

2 hours ago, WhoTom said:

I remember having to work that night, and it was before we owned a VCR. I didn't see the episode until it was rerun a few years later.

Same - i worked an evening shift at McDonald's of all places.  To date, i have never seen it from start to finish in a single sitting.

2 hours ago, Fleezoid said:

I believe it's still number 1 as having the most viewers for a single television episode other than sporting events. 

That is what was said in an article I saw about it.  Now with all the different channels and streaming services, there’s not a single show that has the same draw as when we only had 3 channels, 4 if you count PBS. 

• Like (+1) 1

I was in the ICU of the Musculoskeletal Unit at Strong Memorial in Rochester, NY getting morphine injections hourly. I vaguely remember trying to stay awake during the show with my new bride by my side but if I was coherent for more than 10 minutes total during the whole show I'd be surprised. Luckily we did have a VCR and my wife recorded it so I did get to see it in its entirety about a month later.

• Shocked 1

I was 11, MASH was my dad’s favorite show so he was glued in. I became a fan afterward in syndication mostly due to that influence from dad. We lived in Cheektowaga back then in an apartment complex. Good memories from that time. 

Edited by Jukester

8 hours ago, Fleezoid said:

I believe it's still number 1 as having the most viewers for a single television episode other than sporting events. 

I did hear that earlier today. 

In college we could get MASH up to 5 times a day when a new episode came out. There was very little time available to attend class with that busy schedule! 

52 minutes ago, Jukester said:

I was 11, MASH was my dad’s favorite show so he was glued in. I became a fan afterward in syndication mostly due to that influence from dad. We lived in Cheektowaga back then in an apartment complex. Good memories from that time. 

Your dad had great taste! 

Going to concerts, getting tail, and doing drugs... didn't watch much tv 40 years ago. Mash was never a show that stood out to me but others before did... Honeymooners for ex.

I was working that night at a hotel. I was a bellboy. I was at the front desk and the parking lot attendant came in and mentioned to me how disappointed he was that he had to be working and had to miss the final episode of MASH. The girl working at the front desk overheard this and gave us a key to an unoccupied hotel room so we could watch it there. She said she would call the room if anyone checking in needed help with luggage. The parking lot attendant raised the parking lot gates so he didn't have to be there. We got a couple drinks from the bar and took them to the room and watched there. 

• Awesome! (+1) 1

20 hours ago, Fleezoid said:

The only two things higher than MASH were Richard Nixon's resignation speech and the moon landing. 

Link for the top 30 - https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/List_of_most_watched_television_broadcasts_in_the_United_States#:~:text=Though the Apollo 11 Moon,broadcast%2C with 114.4 million viewers.

Screenshot2023-03-02at7_19_42AM.thumb.png.0354dd6411ebfffd0f338e1d69aa8967.png

I don't have a clear recollection of this event. Yes it was a great iconic series and I watched it. But for whatever reason I don't have specific recall of the final episode.

Great cast, beloved series. I don't know if there are shows that can compare to this one  such  great writing 

HOT LIPS u floozey lmao

haha

m

https://mash.fandom.com/wiki/Margaret_"Hot_Lips"_Houlihan

Edited by muppy

This topic is OLD. A NEW topic should be started unless there is a very specific reason to revive this one.