The Bills should trade for Mike Evans

FireChans

5 hours ago, LEBills said:

There is a good podcast where they touch on it a bit. It would be $14 million cap hit if traded

Very nice interview with MG.........he and his spotrac company provide a great service to fans.

The Davis for Evans swap makes a lot of sense..........puts Evans back on a contender and sends Davis home to Florida.........but that $14M cap hit is harsh and the little that I watched Evans this year it seemed like his heart wasn't all the way into it.    Still put up big numbers but the Bills would need to do a lot better dive into his outlook for 2023 than they did with Rodger Saffold.   Still can't figure out how Saffold got $6M when he probably should have been bouncing around practice squads this past season.

When Ginitti was asked to be critical of one of Beane's cap moves he couldn't come up with one...........but Saffold was definitely one.

Agree with his point about interior OL generally being the best position to extract value from in UFA though..........been saying that for years.........there are usually good guards and centers available for very reasonable cap numbers...........which is why you don't draft them high.    Just can't pull a Saffold.  

Fill premium positions early in the draft.........use your free agent dollars on the cheaper, and typically better stocked positions..........that's how you keep your cap in order.

Miles Sanders...........don't really care to spend that kind of money on a RB..........but he makes a good point that a 1200 yard RB might come with just a $6M-$8M cap figure..........it's just crazy to expend a first round pick on a RB.     That pick should go to a position,  which should it pan out,  can actually yield a $25M-$30M aav type player(in 2023 cap dollars).

5 hours ago, HappyDays said:

I wouldn't hate it but it looked to me like he lost a step last year. He isn't explosive which is the biggest element our offense is missing. If we're going to trade for that style of  WR I would prefer DeAndre Hopkins, and it's already been reported that he is in fact available for trade.

I am not keen on either Evans or Dhop. 

The cost for their production just isn't there. Dhop can't stay healthy and I agree with your Evans opinion. 

I rather cut ties and or trade Gabe and Mckenzie. They are replaceable. Beasley and Brown have earned their right to be in the street. 

Have to draft a WR and pick up another one or two via FA. Time to see what Shakir has to offer. Looks like the Bills met one get away in Hodges. 

• Disagree 1

5 hours ago, FireChans said:

Sure, he had a system. He also found a lot of diamonds in the rough in UDFA or cast-offs from other teams.

But he still sucked at drafting lol.

BB drafted 2 Pro-Bowlers in the last 9 years. We drafted 2 ProBowlers in 2018. If Beane goes another 4 without a single Pro-Bowler, he needs to go lol.

Brady made Belicheck.

Mahomes is making Reid. 

Can Allen make McD is what im interested in. 

• Eyeroll 1
  • Disagree 2
  • Haha (+1) 1

11 minutes ago, Billl said:

Bills fans are about to learn an uncomfortable truth about the salary cap.  It’s not a documentary, but it’s based on a true story.

We see what Veach has done for you and want that for us. 

He let Matthieu and Ward walk last year.  

For us that’s Poyer and Edmunds.  

If that happens, our off-season gets quite interesting.  If we bring Edmunds back, maybe we can sign a decent Guard… and then it’s off to the draft, unless we can unload Oliver for a Day 3 pick. 

Edited by SCBills
  • Thank you (+1) 1

17 minutes ago, newcam2012 said:

Brady made Belicheck.

Mahomes is making Reid. 

Can Allen make McD is what im interested in. 

None of those guys "made" the other ones. Brady could be his surgical stone-cold-killer self because he knew his defense would always give him a good chance to win. Mahomes can be his prolific playmaking self because his receivers are wide open all the time. And both of them always had O-lines that never let them get touched.

The kind of greatness we saw from the Patriots and now the Chiefs is not because of one guy on either team. It's a symbiotic relationship that rarely occurs but produces exponential effects. 

I think Allen is a guy who could be part of that kind of greatness. I'm starting to doubt that we have the other component that makes the magical brew.

Edited by MPT
  • Like (+1) 3

5 hours ago, FireChans said:

Sure, he had a system. He also found a lot of diamonds in the rough in UDFA or cast-offs from other teams.

But he still sucked at drafting lol.

BB drafted 2 Pro-Bowlers in the last 9 years. We drafted 2 ProBowlers in 2018. If Beane goes another 4 without a single Pro-Bowler, he needs to go lol.

Not arguing those facts. 

But the Pro-Bowl is a popularity contest. In order to get in, you have to be noticed by people outside your fan base. 

The way BB ran his team, real standout personalities weren’t encouraged (Do your job) and his system was team based vs. Star based. 

It’d be really hard to make the PB regardless of talent with those headwinds. 

19 minutes ago, MPT said:

None of those guys "made" the other ones. Brady could be his surgical stone-cold-killer self because he knew his defense would always give him a good chance to win. Mahomes can be his prolific playmaking self because his receivers are wide open all the time. And both of them always had O-lines that never let them get touched.

The kind of greatness we saw from the Patriots and now the Chiefs is not because of one guy on either team. It's a symbiotic relationship that rarely occurs but produces exponential effects. 

I think Allen is a guy who could be part of that kind of greatness. I'm starting to doubt that we have the other component that makes the magical brew.

"I think Allen is a guy who could be part of that kind of greatness. I'm starting to doubt that we have the other component that makes the magical brew."

Well said right here. 👍

42 minutes ago, newcam2012 said:

I am not keen on either Evans or Dhop. 

The cost for their production just isn't there. Dhop can't stay healthy and I agree with your Evans opinion. 

I rather cut ties and or trade Gabe and Mckenzie. They are replaceable. Beasley and Brown have earned their right to be in the street. 

Have to draft a WR and pick up another one or two via FA. Time to see what Shakir has to offer. Looks like the Bills met one get away in Hodges. 

who do you want? Your plan has Diggs + Shakir + ??????

7 hours ago, GolfandBills said:

Were you seeing this at?  Everything I’ve seen says the team takes on full contract terms with a trade. 

No. The sign bonus already paid comes due immediately for the Bucs then the remainder of the contract is responsibility of the new team.

https://www.spotrac.com/nfl/tampa-bay-buccaneers/mike-evans-14416/

he has a base of 14 mill and a roster bonus of 1.5 mill for 2023. Bills would be responsible for that but can work out restructure/extension and lower that considerably.

Edited by cba fan

23 minutes ago, FireChans said:

who do you want? Your plan has Diggs + Shakir + ??????

Sign Chark and Draft a WR. 

(1) It's all about protecting Allen.  He can make Wrs productive. 

(2) Dorsey has to be better. His offensive scheme was bad. More motion, more passes to the RBs, vary the routes, etc...

Allen just need a serviceable consistent run game and a solid offensive pass scheme. Dorsey was calling plays basically one play at a time. Plays weren't designed to set each other up. 

• Vomit 1
  • Agree 1

7 hours ago, HappyDays said:

I wouldn't hate it but it looked to me like he lost a step last year. He isn't explosive which is the biggest element our offense is missing. If we're going to trade for that style of  WR I would prefer DeAndre Hopkins, and it's already been reported that he is in fact available for trade.

How much of a cap hit would the Bills take if they traded for Hopkins?

This topic is OLD. A NEW topic should be started unless there is a very specific reason to revive this one.