Tremaine Edmunds will test free agency

HappyDays

On 2/18/2023 at 7:01 PM, KzooMike said:

Maybe it forces Frazier to not have to depend on a freak athlete to make his defense sort of work. 

I hit the laugh emoji because it is true.  Frazier relies on some players being ok, good and excellent.  Fraizer does nothing himself, he just waits and hopes.  Hope dies last and hope is not a game plan.

• Agree 1
  • Thank you (+1) 1

17 minutes ago, Buffalo_Stampede said:

We’re definitely not loaded. We have a lot of players that play well within the scheme.

We have the following players:

EDGE - Von Miller

DT - Daquan Jones

DT - Ed Oliver 

EDGE - Greg Rousseau

LB - Matt Milano

MLB - ???

CB - Taron Johnson

CB - Tre’Davious White

CB - Kaiir Elam

S - Micah Hyde

S - ???

If McDermott can’t figure out how to put forth an adequate defense without needing to invest big money and/or a RD1/RD2 pick, then there is literally no reason for him to remain our HC. 

We should honestly move Ed Oliver for late round pick swap/salary dump as well.  Whatever it takes to get his 11M off the books. 

We’d be able to sign 2 of the top FA’s on the OL and a WR.   Imagine heading into the Draft with a new interior OL, along with say… OBJ.   Draft a RT in RD1 and another WR in RD2.  Then let McDermott find his MLB in RD3.  Draft a CB/Safety, DT and RB on Day 3 and let’s go.  

That’s how you flip this thing on it’s head and make some waves.  Do you think KC would pay Oliver 11M?  Re-sign Poyer or Edmunds?   Or would they build an elite OL for Mahomes?   FYI… we know the answer, because they already did that. 

Edited by SCBills
  • Like (+1) 5
  • Agree 2
  • Awesome! (+1) 1
  • Thank you (+1) 1

20 minutes ago, nucci said:

does this bother you? If I was an NFL player I'd try to get as much money as I can. Not many players get a chance at a big 2nd contract and those that do need to take advantage. This could be his only chance

No that is not what bugs me it's that there is no longer any loyalty at all to a team that has helped you develop into a really good player I understand making as much as you can but when you can make 10 Million a year from where we sit or 13 over 4 years ??

• Haha (+1) 1

22 minutes ago, T master said:

No that is not what bugs me it's that there is no longer any loyalty at all to a team that has helped you develop into a really good player I understand making as much as you can but when you can make 10 Million a year from where we sit or 13 over 4 years ??

Loyalty works both ways. Teams can cut players at any time even though they are under contract. Where's the loyalty to Singletary? He won't even be offered a contract. 

I have always wondered what Edmunds could do with a different role in a different scheme. Leslie Fraser's defense requires him to patrol the backfield, which means he is going to be pursuing plays rather than disrupting them. The argument is that his very presence shuts off the middle of the field to the opposing offense. It is very, very difficult to judge if this is true or not, if he is exceptional in this regard, and if he could be more impactful in a more aggressive role.

I'm willing to let McDermott and Beane figure it out, but it does seem telling that they would let such a high draft pick and long-time QB of the defense just walk. 

• Agree 1

7 hours ago, SCBills said:

We have the following players:

EDGE - Von Miller

DT - Daquan Jones

DT - Ed Oliver 

EDGE - Greg Rousseau

LB - Matt Milano

MLB - ???

CB - Taron Johnson

CB - Tre’Davious White

CB - Kaiir Elam

S - Micah Hyde

S - ???

If McDermott can’t figure out how to put forth an adequate defense without needing to invest big money and/or a RD1/RD2 pick, then there is literally no reason for him to remain our HC. 

We should honestly move Ed Oliver for late round pick swap/salary dump as well.  Whatever it takes to get his 11M off the books. 

We’d be able to sign 2 of the top FA’s on the OL and a WR.   Imagine heading into the Draft with a new interior OL, along with say… OBJ.   Draft a RT in RD1 and another WR in RD2.  Then let McDermott find his MLB in RD3.  Draft a CB/Safety, DT and RB on Day 3 and let’s go.  

That’s how you flip this thing on it’s head and make some waves.  Do you think KC would pay Oliver 11M?  Re-sign Poyer or Edmunds?   Or would they build an elite OL for Mahomes?   FYI… we know the answer, because they already did that. 

I like it.  They can totally get this done.  I just don't think they will do it.

• Agree 1

7 hours ago, Ramza86 said:

Hes going to make a lot of money and if he goes to place where a defensive coordinator can maximize his physical gifts he will end up with a great career.

Feels like London Fletcher all over again.

I actually want to see him in another system. 

7 hours ago, nucci said:

Loyalty works both ways. Teams can cut players at any time even though they are under contract. Where's the loyalty to Singletary? He won't even be offered a contract. 

Nor should they. He's a good back but the draft is very strong for RBs. Beane should be able to find another in the later rounds who will be just as good and cheaper.

8 minutes ago, SoCal Deek said:

How does that help the Bills? Doesn’t it just force them to pay him the boatload of money they probably don’t want to pay him? 

Ya they won’t tag Edmunds.

He’s a LB and “technically “ guys like TJ watt are LBS but they get paid as Elite pass rushers which jacks up the tag for LBs.

I think the tag for Edmunds would be like 22 mil, no way the bills can do that.

• Agree 1

37 minutes ago, SoCal Deek said:

How does that help the Bills? Doesn’t it just force them to pay him the boatload of money they probably don’t want to pay him? 

It gives them the best LB for the system Frazier runs. Name a replacement that can impact the run and pass defense like Edmunds. The defense was pretty formidable with Edmunds. The key is restructuring contracts that can give cap flexibility. Edmunds will command the highest yearly pay for an OLB when he hits FA because of his age. Franchising him actually gets him for a discount. With questions about adding quality O-line and weapons with our cap restraints, we better be able to stop some people. Edmunds had a great year even though some fans are still judging him on his early years.

• Haha (+1) 1

1 minute ago, Eastport bills said:

It gives them the best LB for the system Frazier runs. Name a replacement that can impact the run and pass defense like Edmunds. The defense was pretty formidable with Edmunds. The key is restructuring contracts that can give cap flexibility. Edmunds will command the highest yearly pay for an OLB when he hits FA because of his age. Franchising him actually gets him for a discount. With questions about adding quality O-line and weapons with our cap restraints, we better be able to stop some people. Edmunds had a great year even though some fans are still judging him on his early years.

I’m still not sure I understand your strategy. Doesn’t the tag last for just one year? If you’re desperate to keep him, why not negotiate a long term, back loaded contract so next year’s hit would be something/anything less than the Top Five at his position?

8 hours ago, skibum said:

I have always wondered what Edmunds could do with a different role in a different scheme. Leslie Fraser's defense requires him to patrol the backfield, which means he is going to be pursuing plays rather than disrupting them. The argument is that his very presence shuts off the middle of the field to the opposing offense. It is very, very difficult to judge if this is true or not, if he is exceptional in this regard, and if he could be more impactful in a more aggressive role.

I'm willing to let McDermott and Beane figure it out, but it does seem telling that they would let such a high draft pick and long-time QB of the defense just walk. 

Both plays with 13 seconds happened in the middle of the field.  

3 minutes ago, SoCal Deek said:

I’m still not sure I understand your strategy. Doesn’t the tag last for just one year? If you’re desperate to keep him, why not negotiate a long term, back loaded contract so next year’s hit would be something/anything less than the Top Five at his position?

I understand your trepidation but he wants to hit FA and the Bills must franchise him or see him leave and the decision has to be made now. After he gets franchised you open a window to negotiate a longer deal. He represents arguably our best player on defense, and is a perfect compliment to Milano in a 2LB defense. I think Edmunds plays even better next season.

This topic is OLD. A NEW topic should be started unless there is a very specific reason to revive this one.