Quote from Josh highlighting the Bills' flawed thinking...

DrDawkinstein

5 hours ago, DrDawkinstein said:

Bills' Josh Allen gives props to Chiefs, Patrick Mahomes: 'You gotta find ways to be like them'

https://www.nfl.com/news/bills-josh-allen-gives-props-to-chiefs-mahomes-it-s-a-copycat-league-you-gotta-f

I've heard this before from Beane and McDermott (and probably others) and now from Allen. We need to be like KC. We need to build the team to beat KC...

WRONG

Because I guarantee you that KC isnt trying to be like anyone else. They're simply trying to be the best team in the NFL regardless of what anyone else is doing.

THAT is what McBeane and Co. should be doing. Stop peeking over the fence and trying to copy another team and just go build the best team in the entire NFL. Go be that team that everyone wants to copy. Because by the time you see what they are doing, make the moves to copy them, and bring it to fruition... they are already 2 more steps ahead that you can't copy.

This is such a 2nd place mentality it makes me sick.

Well, the Chiefs are the best team in the NFL soooooo......every team wants to be like them

4 hours ago, LABILLBACKER said:

Great question.  Let's say for the sake of argument McB hits on several offensive picks.  We should get a pretty fast answer as to whether Ken is actually capable of being a Daboll disciple or just a lost Hackett train wreck.  And if it's the latter,  then Josh will immediately demand he's replaced.  Dorsey is only getting 1 more shot to turn this around. 

Think Josh has any regrets about his loyalty to Dorsey ? ( I assume it was loyalty)
at some point he must have realized he was screwwed with play calling , especially the many "Run fast and i will hit you" plays he though would work ?

Bills need to mature to the level of what Reid does with his teams. Or try real hard.

Its a fine example to follow actually as is Sirianni's. sp

Lets start there !

If you can learn how they do it, maybe just maybe Josh can do it better. I thinks thats what Allen suggests.
Its Coaching and GM ing  (lol) for the right players at the right time

7 hours ago, H2o said:

Pretty sure he's talking about being able to be at the summit of the AFC, and the whole NFL. Not necessarily modeling the Chiefs in every facet, but more so being able to mirror that type of success. It was said about the Patriots for years. Right now, the Chiefs are the new Pats. 

Yes, I think that's what he was saying.   Not that the team has to look like the Chiefs, but that it has to win like the Chiefs.   That is true. 

8 hours ago, DrDawkinstein said:

Bills' Josh Allen gives props to Chiefs, Patrick Mahomes: 'You gotta find ways to be like them'

https://www.nfl.com/news/bills-josh-allen-gives-props-to-chiefs-mahomes-it-s-a-copycat-league-you-gotta-f

I've heard this before from Beane and McDermott (and probably others) and now from Allen. We need to be like KC. We need to build the team to beat KC...

WRONG

Because I guarantee you that KC isnt trying to be like anyone else. They're simply trying to be the best team in the NFL regardless of what anyone else is doing.

THAT is what McBeane and Co. should be doing. Stop peeking over the fence and trying to copy another team and just go build the best team in the entire NFL. Go be that team that everyone wants to copy. Because by the time you see what they are doing, make the moves to copy them, and bring it to fruition... they are already 2 more steps ahead that you can't copy.

I don't know what they said.............but they haven't tried to be like KC.

At all.

Yeah........they need to be more like KC.

And I saw you are among the people who keep banging on this Creed Humphrey drum..........Basham has sucked(predictably0...........but center is the only position the Bills are solid at both starter and depth at on the offensive line. :doh:    So that line of thinking makes no sense.......they literally already had both Morse and Bates in house.     The Chiefs didn't have a center under contract..........because they did what they always do..........they let their starting center Austin Reider(who had performed solidly in 2020) walk in UFA.     Just as they had done with star centers Rodney Hudson and Mitch Morse immediately prior.       

9 hours ago, Gugny said:

In all seriousness, I somewhat agree with Josh and Beane.  I get - and agree - with what you're saying, as far as not wanting to copy the Chiefs, per se, because like you said - we'll always be behind if that's the plan.

But I'm interpreting this a little differently.

I think it's more of: we need a better O-line; we need better pass catching options; we need better coaching.  That's really what most teams need.  Those are also all areas in which Kansas City is better than Buffalo.

That's just my take, anyway.

Oh ... one more thing ... not quitting midway through the first quarter of a playoff game would be a nice enhancement, too.

To be honest not sure about the pass catchers being better we got never Wrs by a mile and they have the better TEs. Cook can catch out the backfield just as well as McKinnon. There Oline and backs are better there QB is better and last but not least there coaches are on another planet. I truly believe the coaching is the biggest difference. 

• Like (+1) 1

4 hours ago, 3rdand12 said:

Think Josh has any regrets about his loyalty to Dorsey ? ( I assume it was loyalty)
at some point he must have realized he was screwwed with play calling , especially the many "Run fast and i will hit you" plays he though would work ?

Bills need to mature to the level of what Reid does with his teams. Or try real hard.

Its a fine example to follow actually as is Sirianni's. sp

Lets start there !

If you can learn how they do it, maybe just maybe Josh can do it better. I thinks thats what Allen suggests.
Its Coaching and GM ing  (lol) for the right players at the right time

Daboll was a mature adult that not only knew how to develop Josh but how to eliminate most of his bad habits.  Dorsey is that intoxicating young drug dealer telling Josh to just chuck it.  And after that Steeler game he kinda got caught up in it.  I guarantee you Brian would've insisted that Josh continue (like v Rams/Titans) to take the checkdowns when they're wide open. It will eventually open up deeper routes later.  If Ken can't accomplish this in year 2 then he's gone. 

I'm not even letting JA make any future decisions on OC's.  His arm canon, howitzer ego sometimes gets the best of him.  He wants to go deep too much, which destroys any opportunity at a more structured offense (Shanahan, Reid, Daboll).  And finally when his worthless 1.8 second OL breaks down he's immediately off to the races.  Not a formula for winning in the playoffs. 

Edited by LABILLBACKER
  • Like (+1) 1
  • Agree 2
  • Haha (+1) 1

13 hours ago, DrDawkinstein said:

WRONG

Not true. 

KC is in fact always looking around to see what they can learn from other teams. Always. 

As has been reported elsewhere, that play that - I believe - they scored two touchdowns on with the outside WR motioning in and then reversing behind the other WR, the one that totally confused the Bengals, Reid said he got that from the Bills, who ran it in 2020 or 2021.

The Chiefs are always trying to learn from good teams. So should we.

5 hours ago, Shaw66 said:

Yes, I think that's what he was saying.   Not that the team has to look like the Chiefs, but that it has to win like the Chiefs.   That is true. 

Yeah, absolutely. Take any ideas that would fit us. Find things about them that you can model successfully.

Allen wasn't saying copy them in every facet.

Edited by Thurman#1
  • Agree 1

11 hours ago, zow2 said:

Where Beane went wrong is thinking one man, a "closer" on defense would make the difference.  That was assuming the rest of the D could stop the good teams out there.  No one is stopping Mahomes, Burrow, Hurts, etc..  What you have to do is slow them down just enough for your offense to outscore them.  Now we have a 34 years old edge rusher, with a bad knee, who is paid a gazillion dollars and eating up the cap. 

That's deeply wrong. 

The problem wasn't thinking a closer would make the difference. It did. The D with a healthy Von was terrific. Including strangling the life out of the Chiefs this year by holding them to 20 points. "Nobody is stopping Mahomes"? We did this year.

The problem was Von's injury, along with the many others on the defense, of course. That, Josh's arm injury and Saffold not being the right guy.

14 hours ago, DrDawkinstein said:

WRONG

Why,  they have the QB and now need to provide him a line to protect him and multiple weapons. As for the defence,  enough play makers that you're not the reason for losing and maybe that requires an aggressive minded DC which we don't have . So yes,  I would want to be like them and Josh sees it. 

8 hours ago, SCBills said:

It’s going to be up to Josh to slay Mahomes.   All we can hope is Beane does enough to give him a fighting chance, because we will never be their equal in the GM/HC department as long as Reid & Veach are there. 

Beane and Sean would have been both gone by now had they not got Allen.  Sean will end up getting fired because he was too weak to fire Frazier. I think if they blow it again next season ,  Pegula will move on.  You cannot afford to waste Allen's best years on some Marvin Lewis clone

• Like (+1) 1

Here's the full quote:

"You look at him statistically and what he's been able to do in his first four, five, six years in this league, you know, it's kind of unmatched by anybody," he said. "They're the mantra of what you want to be and how you need to do it. Because, again they're just constantly in the AFC Championship Game; he's been in three Super Bowls now. Gotta find ways, it's a copycat league, you gotta find ways to be like them."

It's vague what he means by "you gotta find ways to be like them."   He was previously talking about their success: Mahomes' stats and KC's playoff success.  Is that what he's referring to when he says 'you gotta be like them.'  At no point does he mention how the KC roster was built or the design of their plays so if he's referring to that, he's not making it clear. 

The only obvious interpretation is that he wants to replicate their Lombardis.  

19 hours ago, Don Otreply said:

This is Josh’s mild mannered way of kicking Beane, McDermott, and Dorsey in the nuts over there combined schematic failures, 

it could happen..

Very true.

Its not like Josh came out and said:

"Props to the Chiefs, great job on what they did"

"But I have complete confidence in my coaching staff and GM to build our team our way and deliver a championship to the people of Buffalo"

In between the lines you can see Josh's frustration

• Like (+1) 1
  • Agree 2

8 hours ago, Niagara Dude said:

Beane and Sean would have been both gone by now had they not got Allen.  Sean will end up getting fired because he was too weak to fire Frazier.

You don’t survive being “the most talented team in the NFL” (commonly heard until about a month ago) and “the favorite to win the Super Bowl” (heard everywhere preseason) and then not even winning the AFC Championship for more than 2 years. Next year is it for Beane and McD. Fair? Maybe not. But that’s life in the NFL. 

• Like (+1) 1

14 hours ago, LABILLBACKER said:

Daboll was a mature adult that not only knew how to develop Josh but how to eliminate most of his bad habits.  Dorsey is that intoxicating young drug dealer telling Josh to just chuck it.  And after that Steeler game he kinda got caught up in it.  I guarantee you Brian would've insisted that Josh continue (like v Rams/Titans) to take the checkdowns when they're wide open. It will eventually open up deeper routes later.  If Ken can't accomplish this in year 2 then he's gone. 

I'm not even letting JA make any future decisions on OC's.  His arm canon, howitzer ego sometimes gets the best of him.  He wants to go deep too much, which destroys any opportunity at a more structured offense (Shanahan, Reid, Daboll).  And finally when his worthless 1.8 second OL breaks down he's immediately off to the races.  Not a formula for winning in the playoffs. 

Pretty good post my Friend LA

This topic is OLD. A NEW topic should be started unless there is a very specific reason to revive this one.