New DC assistant hired / Carolina ReTread

balln

21 hours ago, hondo in seattle said:

Wow!    I can’t believe the emphatic negativity about a guy nobody knows much about.   He may end up being a good addition to the staff.   None of us is in a position to know otherwise.

This.   The comments here are simply so ignorant, it's kind of hard to believe.   I mean, person after person posts something that suggests there is no point in hiring the guy.  What do they think McDermott is doing?   Just adding a buddy to play golf with?   McDermott has an organization plan for this guy.   He will have specific duties, and those duties will relate directly to improving the team's defense in ways that McDermott believes are necessary for the team to get better.  Do I know what the guy's duties will be?   Of course not.  But to suggest that the only reason for this hire is to bring over a buddy from Carolina or to have someone else to blame is remarkably stupid.  

• Like (+1) 8
  • Agree 3
  • Thank you (+1) 1

1 hour ago, Shaw66 said:

This.   The comments here are simply so ignorant, it's kind of hard to believe.   I mean, person after person posts something that suggests there is no point in hiring the guy.  What do they think McDermott is doing?   Just adding a buddy to play golf with?   McDermott has an organization plan for this guy.   He will have specific duties, and those duties will relate directly to improving the team's defense in ways that McDermott believes are necessary for the team to get better.  Do I know what the guy's duties will be?   Of course not.  But to suggest that the only reason for this hire is to bring over a buddy from Carolina or to have someone else to blame is remarkably stupid.  

If the last couple of years have taught us anything, it's that when the going gets tough, our childish posters get more childish.

With regard to Holcomb's potential role with the Bills, it looks like he's served as a "defensive run game coordinator" at times in the past.  My best guess is that's what he's been brought in to address, especially given our occasional struggles against the run during the McD/Frazier tenure, and Frazier's expertise being heavily weighted towards the defensive backfield.

• Like (+1) 2
  • Agree 2

On 2/8/2023 at 7:02 PM, JGMcD2 said:

Where was this comment when they fired a coach who had been on staff since 2017 and replaced him with Joe Danna who has no connection to McBeane? 😂

Somebody had to bend over.   edit; They had to bend somebody over. Respect meter falling......

23 hours ago, DCbillsfan said:

He supervises the junior defensive assistant lol

I don’t think the Senior Defensive Assistant supervises the Junior Defensive Assistants.  

I think the Senior Defensive Assistant is to Supervise and do some of Leslie Frazier’s job!

21 hours ago, BigAl2526 said:

I don't see this as desperation or insanity.  I think it's quite logical.  Holcomb is very familiar with McDermott's defensive scheme.  This tells me that McDermott is absolutely committed to pursuing and tweaking the defensive scheme he has always used.  Frazier, I think, has brought his own biases to the scheme.  I think bringing Holcomb in actually shortens the leash a bit on Frazier.  McDermott is actually saying to Frazier, "We're going to run this a little more like I used to run Carolina's defense."  Specifically, I think that means being a bit more aggressive.  McDermott is not into heavy blitzing, but I think he is inclined to do a little more than Frazier is, following the thinking of his mentor who coached defense for the Philadelphia Eagles, Jim Johnson.

I like this thought!

On 2/8/2023 at 4:35 PM, JackKemp said:

Well to me this is a move to add a new voice and outsider who may have some fresh eyes on our defensive system. It may also mean Frazier is on his way out by next year. 

This is the response I should've had instead of my initial rant that Richard Noggin accurately called me on.  Hopefully this guy has enough of a relationship with McD to transition out of Frazier's conservative scheme.  

• Like (+1) 1

On 2/8/2023 at 5:04 PM, JGMcD2 said:

You made the comment they have a tough time going out of their comfort zone/circle with the Carolina connection. You really want me to do this?

The Bills have 26 members listed under their coaching staff (not including McDermott)… Al Holcomb will be #27. 

These are the guys who crossed over in Carolina (6):

Ken Dorsey

Bobby Babich

Mike Shula 

Eric Washington

Matt Worswick

Al Holcomb

These are the guys who don’t have any Carolina connection (21): 

Leslie Frazier

Matthew Smiley

Rob Boras 

Joe Brady

John Butler

Joe Danna 

Chad Hall

Aaron Kromer 

Jaylon Finner

Austin Gund

Cory Harkey 

Marc Lubick

Kyle Shurmur 

Kelly Skipper

Ryan Wendell

Marcus West

Eric Ciano

Will Greenberg 

Hal Luther 

Nick Lacy

Jason Oszvart

Looking at the front office quick… they have 9 people with VP, Director or Assistant Director titles in football operations. 

No Carolina connection (9):

Jim Overdorf

Kevin Meganck

Brian Gaine

Terrance Gray

Malik Boyd

Matt Bazirgan

Lake Dawson

Chris Marrow

Curtus Rukavina 

So what? 36 people across coaching and football operations and 6 of them have ties to Carolina. 

Could also point to people like Dan Morgan (SEA), Joe Schoen (NYG) and Brian Daboll (NYG) as guys outside their comfort zone who were brought in to fill roles on the staff. There’s also David Culley, Bobby Johnson, Shea Tierney, Bob Babich, Jim Salgado, Danny Crossman and Heath Farwell. 

Jim Overdorf is like the Chris Kelsay of the front office.  Change in ownership, changes in front office, yet he’s still there.  He must know where the bodies are buried.

• Like (+1) 1

On 2/8/2023 at 7:56 PM, balln said:

It’s a sign that they felt like they had to do something…. Create a new position. If you’re satisfied w your coaches then ride w them. If you’re not then get rid of them. This is a sidewise / half hearted move. Which is exactly how they play / coach / adjust in big games. Half measured

I doubt it.  It's just getting more thoughts in the room.  They aren't changing the defense.  Maybe a succession plan?

On 2/8/2023 at 11:09 PM, BillsFan4 said:

this could be true. It would make sense. I was hoping they'd offer Wilks the DC job. Maybe they did? The 49ers DC job has proven to be a quick way to a head coaching job, where as Buffalo's DC will always be in the shadow of McDermott. Even if buffalo offered Wilks the DC job I could see where he would pick SF.

I am not disappointed by this hire nor do i think it reeks of desperation. I actually think it might show Frazier's seat is getting hot.

I really don't get why so many are so upset by this hire. They aren't going to bring in someone who runs a completely different defense than what the head coach ran or what the current DC runs. Our problem on defense isn't McDermott's defensive system anyway IMO (which has proven to work with 3 different teams now - Philly, Carolina and Buffalo. Anyone who thinks MCDermott played it as safe as Frazier as a DC needs to go back and watch his defenses before he got to Buffalo). It's frazier's tendency to play it so safe and his inability to adjust in game. Maybe Holcomb will help? Or even possibly replace Frazier if he's unable to make the adjustments McDermott may want.

I know people wanted Frazier fired. But it hasn't happened. At least Adding someone like Holcomb could help bring changes to the defense.

I agree with your thoughts, as to your last paragraph,  one can only hope so, Leslie’s inability to make any adjustments let alone in clutch moments is a glaring weakness in his coaching style, and imo, desperately needs to be fixed before the season starts. 

• Like (+1) 1

On 2/9/2023 at 7:17 PM, Manther said:

I don’t think the Senior Defensive Assistant supervises the Junior Defensive Assistants.  

I think the Senior Defensive Assistant is to Supervise and do some of Leslie Frazier’s job!

One can only hope, 👍

• Like (+1) 1

On 2/8/2023 at 6:57 PM, balln said:

What a panic move by McD. Wonder what wisdom this LB coach from Carolina can offer 

https://profootballtalk.nbcsports.com/2023/02/08/bills-to-hire-al-holcomb-as-senior-defensive-assistant/

Oh nice someone to add another element of creativity to this defense. Oh….

On 2/10/2023 at 7:04 AM, BobbyC81 said:

Jim Overdorf is like the Chris Kelsay of the front office.  Change in ownership, changes in front office, yet he’s still there.  He must know where the bodies are buried.

Gotta be something lol 

• 3 weeks later...
On 2/8/2023 at 4:14 PM, 78thealltimegreat said:

Here is what I believe they desperately wanted to add Steve Wilkes to the staff the 49ers gave him an offer he couldn’t refuse…Bills went with plan B his defensive coordinator 

This is what is happening. Plan B over Wilks.  Good call. 

This topic is OLD. A NEW topic should be started unless there is a very specific reason to revive this one.