Should QB Compensation Be Carved Out of the Salary Cap?

st pete gogolak

19 hours ago, Nextmanup said:

I've often thought about having a separate salary cap or some type of similar control in the league, JUST for the Quarterback position.

You would think the NFLPA would love that idea, because the day will come when the QB and a few key players make ALL the money, and everyone else makes league minimum.

So basically the CFL

it's a bad idea and makes having a top tier QB even more of a competitive advantage.

So now, not only do I have a Mahomes/Allen type QB but I ALSO can disregard his huge salary and stack the rest of my roster.

Yes, I know you can do the same with Kirk Cousins... Good luck competing! 

Edited by TheFunPolice
  • Agree 1

I always liked the idea of a subsidy of the QB position.

Basically you could deduct lets say the first 15Mil of the QB position from the salary cap.

So if you have 3 QBs on the roster and they are 40, 10, and 5 Mil cost (or 55Mil total), the cap hit would be 55-15 = 40 Mil.

And if you are under the 15Mil cost, then you can use the excess on other positions.

21 hours ago, st pete gogolak said:

Full disclosure.  I've been a Bills fan since 1965 so I'm obviously biased about this because if it somehow came to pass it would benefit the Bills enormously.  That said, QB compensation in the NFL and how it distorts the salary cap is, if not unfair, frankly bizarre and unlike any other sport that maintains a salary cap.  That's because QB compensation is so dramatically higher than any other position.  That's not true in basketball or hockey.  Yes, you pay your superstars but McDavid isn't making double or triple every single one of his teammates.  

You're punished for selecting a QB who turns into a franchise QB.  That's if you do it right.  Heaven help you if you pay a QB that lands you in cap purgatory (Prescott, Cousins) or, even worse, one that lands you in cap hell (Wilson).  

A carve out probably lets the Raiders keep Carr.  I don't know what the solution is but you shouldn't have to gut your team because you found your franchise quarterback.  

The reason for the cap, in part anyway, was to enhance competition. Big market teams not able to outbid small market teams for players. If anything, there could or should be a cap on how much anyone counts against the cap, but the NFLPA would never go for that.

Why not have an individual maximum salary? There's a league minimum player salary. Why not have a league maximum player salary. And not different for each position, just a player maximum salary. You could have 1 player at the max, or multiple, which would change how the rest is divvied up.

On 2/1/2023 at 7:14 AM, Bill from NYC said:

And who is to blame for that? The league? No. The present and past Bills administrations are at fault.

Other teams look OK wrt the cap, especially those that are able to draft better than 12 year old kids with a computer. Yes, the teams that know how to draft are on top, not a team that sends McClappy out there to grab the nearest 1st round cornerback, DT, or LB, even in he has to trade up!

If QBs didn't count against the cap, players like Josh would command 100 million per season. If you owned an NFL Franchise, woold you like to pay 100 million to a QB after he gets injured, which they all do?

The system isn't perfect but it is pretty damn good.

Jmo.

I didn’t say to take the qb out of the cap. I said they better loosen it up a little. The cap is not going up as fast as players salaries. As a fan I don’t care about the cap or what the owners and players make $. I care about putting together a winning team. We finally get a good team put together and we have to watch it get broken up because of the cap? I’m not ok with that.

Again. I don’t tune into a game, go to a game or buy a jersey because of the owners. 

On 1/31/2023 at 5:54 PM, Nextmanup said:

I've often thought about having a separate salary cap or some type of similar control in the league, JUST for the Quarterback position.

You would think the NFLPA would love that idea, because the day will come when the QB and a few key players make ALL the money, and everyone else makes league minimum.

The players VOTE on the CBA,dont they? No way in hell they allow this to happen. Why would a linebackerbor punter vote for separate, huge salaries for QBs?More likely the should players demand a bigger cut to share among ALL pkauers with significant cap increases. 

On 1/31/2023 at 6:01 PM, st pete gogolak said:

That's just the point.  Is that system a fair system?  What if in the NHL goalies made four times what any other player made?  You could field a good team with a crap goalie or a great goalie with a crap team.  Who would want a system like that?

It's a ridiculous idea. 

If this ever came up for a Players Union vote all the Linemen would stand up and say "how will you protect that even BIGGER Quarterback investment with scab linemen? Were going on strike".

Followed by the receivers who will ask "who will the grossly over-paid QBs throw to when WE go on strike?'

Then the pass rushers, CBS and everyone else says...'we're also on strike".

The Billion dollar media deals would be cancelled because of the lack of product. 

On 1/31/2023 at 6:23 PM, 4th&long said:

I don’t know about that but the owners better loosen up that cap. I have never tuned into a game, went to the stadium or bought a jersey because of the owner in the box!

Works for who? After waiting 20 years to get this roster built now we get to watch it get broken up because of the salary cap?

Thats the NFL process, Pegulas better deal with it

33 minutes ago, 4th&long said:

I didn’t say to take the qb out of the cap. I said they better loosen it up a little. The cap is not going up as fast as players salaries. As a fan I don’t care about the cap or what the owners and players make $. I care about putting together a winning team. We finally get a good team put together and we have to watch it get broken up because of the cap? I’m not ok with that.

Again. I don’t tune into a game, go to a game or buy a jersey because of the owners. 

I get what you are saying but remember when the NFLPA insisted on cap adjustments? Iirc they wanted minimums for vets and a rookie cap. The thing is, the QBs took virtually all of the money that was saved from the rookie cap.

I am merely saying that if they didn't count towards the cap, NFL QBs would likely be the highest paid players in all of sports, and owners would be furious watching the 75-100 million dollar per season QB out for the season with an injury which happens often.

And do remember, people watch and attend games and buy jerseys because of QBs, not offensive guards.

I think a QB carve out will eventually happen but won't be for a while

Things I think will bring about a QB carve are the cap stagnating or if teams actually stop spending money and term on mediocre/bad qbs and start to churn rookie qbs on rookie contracts 

With covid the cap has stagnated slightly and now with the 49ers with the success of Brock purdy might be the start of churning qbs 

On 1/31/2023 at 7:09 PM, Success said:

Almost everything the NFL does has a goal of parity.

It's fair the way it is.  You want an elite QB?  Cool - but you'll have to cut corners elsewhere. Can't find an elite QB?  Spend your money on other impact players.  

Theoretically, it gives every team a chance to contend.

But we're in good shape. JA's contract will seem cheap the year after next.

Draft a good,NFL-ready QB and get the most from him while he is on his rookie deal

On 1/31/2023 at 11:22 PM, Rew said:

What about keeping the current system, but adding a rule that the top cap hit can only be 10x (or 20x or whatever the right number is)  the median cap hit?  Or just adding a hard limit that a single player may only account for 20% of the cap before hitting penalties.  

How would a "cap tax " work in the NFL? The cap exists to ensure parity so that needs to be maintained 

On 2/1/2023 at 10:46 AM, T master said:

FA - IMHO has put the NFL in this place ! Like the rookie cap that they put in place a over 10 years ago after Bradford signed a rookie contract of $76 million i feel would be a good thing for the QB position because as you said it would allow teams to keep more of their core players for a longer period of time .

I didn't like it when FA came about because since then there have been very few teams that could compete like the Bills of the 90's or the Cowboys - Steelers or other teams that had long runs with good players .

If FA wasn't implemented Bruce, Thurman, Andre, & others would have all retired as Bills instead of being let go which totally sucked after watching them give so much to the Bills . But today's NFL is all about the money & i don't see that changing anytime soon ...

Yeah, I want to see you convince NFL PLAYERS to give up their right to free agency.

On 2/2/2023 at 11:53 AM, Herb Nightly said:

Draft a good,NFL-ready QB and get the most from him while he is on his rookie deal

How would a "cap tax " work in the NFL? The cap exists to ensure parity so that needs to be maintained 

Yeah, I want to see you convince NFL PLAYERS to give up their right to free agency.

Well we all know that it will never happen because money is the only motivating reason they play any more .

this is a solution in search of a problem.

Now more than ever, teams are experiencing unprecedented success with super cheap franchise QBs on rookie contracts.  That gives you 4-5 years to figure out how to pay the guy's second contract.  maybe win a ring in the interim.

On 2/1/2023 at 5:39 PM, Fleezoid said:

Why not have an individual maximum salary? There's a league minimum player salary. Why not have a league maximum player salary. And not different for each position, just a player maximum salary. You could have 1 player at the max, or multiple, which would change how the rest is divvied up.

It's against the law.  They would lose in court every time.  

3 minutes ago, FrenchConnection said:

I don’t know about that. The NBA has max contracts.

League limits & salary caps have to be approved by the players unions.  The NBA players agreed to this.  I doubt the NFL players would, even though they let the salary cap work.  The NFL rosters are 4-5 times the NBA rosters.  

As long as the courts say that NFL teams are in competition with each other, they are not permitted to fix a maximum salary without an agreement with the players association.  https://www.justice.gov/atr/file/903511/download

Agreements among employers not to recruit certain employees or
not to compete on terms of compensation are illegal.

An HR professional should avoid entering into agreements regarding terms of
employment with firms that compete to hire employees. It does not matter
whether the agreement is informal or formal, written or unwritten, spoken or
unspoken.
An individual likely is breaking the antitrust laws if he or she:
• agrees with individual(s) at another company about employee
salary or other terms of compensation, either at a specific level or
within a range (so-called wage-fixing agreements), or

• agrees with individual(s) at another company to refuse to solicit or
hire that other company’s employees (so-called “no poaching”
agreements).
Even if an individual does not agree orally or in writing to limit employee
compensation or recruiting, other circumstances – such as evidence of
discussions and parallel behavior – may lead to an inference that the
individual has agreed to do so.
Naked wage-fixing or no-poaching agreements among employers, whether
entered into directly or through a third-party intermediary, are per se illegal
under the antitrust laws. That means that if the agreement is separate from
or not reasonably necessary to a larger legitimate collaboration between the
employers, the agreement is deemed illegal without any inquiry into its
competitive effects. Legitimate joint ventures (including, for example,
appropriate shared use of facilities) are not considered per se illegal under
the antitrust laws.

1 hour ago, Mr. WEO said:

this is a solution in search of a problem.

Now more than ever, teams are experiencing unprecedented success with super cheap franchise QBs on rookie contracts.  That gives you 4-5 years to figure out how to pay the guy's second contract.  maybe win a ring in the interim.

No, it's an issue in search of a solution.  You certainly don't want the NFL to devolve into the NHL where teams are openly tanking to obtain the next Gretzky, McDavid or Bedard.  At least in the NHL you have a lottery to potentially prevent a successful tank (looking at you, Buffalo Sabres).  

Plus, recent Super Bowl history doesn't support your thesis.  In the last ten years, there are maybe two QB's who won Super Bowls on rookie deals.  Mahones winning over SF.  KC is back this year when Mahones isn't on his rookie deal, so what does that prove?  Maybe that if your QB HC and GM are good enough it doesn't matter if your QB is on his rookie deal.  Wilson winning when Legion of Doom destroyed the Broncos.  Yes, that fits.  Otherwise, it's mostly Brady, Manning and Stafford at the tail end of their careers.

The original point of the post is that there isn't any other sport with a salary cap or luxury tax where one position knocks the whole system totally out of whack other than QB in the NFL.  The solution can't be tanking to hit on a franchise QB and then sign a bunch of free agents to win a Super Bowl on the QB's rookie deal.  That's nuts.

On 2/1/2023 at 2:21 PM, TheFunPolice said:

it's a bad idea and makes having a top tier QB even more of a competitive advantage.

So now, not only do I have a Mahomes/Allen type QB but I ALSO can disregard his huge salary and stack the rest of my roster.

Yes, I know you can do the same with Kirk Cousins... Good luck competing! 

You are correct. If you were too pursue this idea, why have a salary cap at all. 

On 1/31/2023 at 7:07 PM, BUFFALOBART said:

Jeez, just get rid of the cap, but the owners, would go into convulsions.

Oh yeah. Late 80s -1993 Bills teams all over again! We take a HOFer here and a HOFer there, oh you have 3 All-Pros come on over. Uncharacteristically Ralph was spending money like crazy in those years trying to win a title.

This topic is OLD. A NEW topic should be started unless there is a very specific reason to revive this one.