Stanley cup vs Lombardi trophy

Turbo44

Was talking amongst a bunch of people and we all think with the Sabres youth, The chances of a cup happening before an Lombardi are likely. Sabres have Dahlin, Bills have Allen. McDermott retreats under pressure in the playoffs, and Frazier is a coward

Granato - who knows?

thoughts?

i’d die for either But hurting for Allen badly right now

Just now, Big Turk said:

Sabres are loaded with young elite level talent...

Still missing the most important piece … goaltender 

I haven’t been posting here much the last 24 hours because all the negativity

But the Bills need to be smart making a couple moves… They are not in rebuild mode

The Sabres are three years away from being Stanley Cup contenders

The bills can absolutely contend for a Super Bowl within the next one or two or three years if they manage this properly

It’s about being smart , not drastic

• Agree 1
  • Awesome! (+1) 1
  • Thank you (+1) 1

Lombardi has higher odds than a cup, and it's not close. 

Sabres are a bubble playoff team atm. Pretty far from being a contender. 

All the young talent is fun to watch, but they are going to need some big contracts soon. 

Doesn't help that this is a cap floor team (while trading for players on LTIR to even make the floor). Don't see them going anywhere without utilizing more cap space

Sticking with the hockey theme, it  dawned on me that this Bills team is kind of like the Leafs in all the wrong ways. Talented and likable, but soft and not able to step up when the games count. They both need a little sandpaper on their rosters.

I unabashedly cheer for both and think I should seek therapy at this point.

since we're talking about what may happen in the future:

Bills-  27th oldest team in the league

- 26th in  available cap space

Sabres- youngest team in the league

- 1st in current and projected cap space

Given 17 yearly NFL games and single elimination playoffs vs. 82 NHL games and four rounds best of 7 playoffs, Lombardi trophy winner can be much more random than Stanley cup winner. In the NFL , a good team can have a bad game and be gone, a mediocre team can be hot for 4 games and win it all. In the NHL, a mediocre team has to string 16 wins in the playoffs. One or two bad games by a good team is not necessarily a killer.

I think we'll see a Stanley cup before a Lombardi trophy, unless the Bills get lucky (injuries, weather,schedule,official's calls, etc).

11 hours ago, Buffalo716 said:

Still missing the most important piece … goaltender 

Damon Levi will be here next year, if not after Northeastern finishes up early. He went back in order to try to win the NCAA Championship. 

Levi will be the best goalie the Sabres have had since Ryan Miller, if not Hasek.

• Thank you (+1) 1

This topic is OLD. A NEW topic should be started unless there is a very specific reason to revive this one.