Bills Free Agents

Beck Water

Sal Capaccio put up this useful color coded chart

image.thumb.png.31649071baa2b0f4e245d2ce53b039f1.png

Thoughts on who you'd like back?

The big decisions are Tremaine Edmunds and Jordan Poyer IMO.

If we possibly can resign them, I want to.   Work your magic, Beane

The RFAs are all slam-dunks I think.  Tyrel Dodson, Dane Jackson, and Cam Lewis all worth a qualifying offer as RFA.

Bunch of guys where "it depends" on what they want.

Guys I'd like to see back if their contracts are affordable include Tyler Matekavich (ST captain, especially if we move on from Taiwan Jones), Sam Martin (did well as punter), Case Keenum, and AJ Klein.  Jordan Philips played well when healthy, but he appeared to impair his own health stupidly trying to extend the plays.  He was overpaid for his overall contributions IMO.  Shaq Lawson, I thought, played about his best football and would be worth trying to bring back - it'd depend upon what he wants.

Rather than bring Saffold back, I would rather see Ike Boettger re-signed to a minimum deal if possible and look for an upgrade on OL in the draft and FA

It's also time to look for a change, or at least strong competition, at RT.

I think it's time to move on from Taiwan Jones, Jake Kumerow, Tommy Sweeney, most of the OL guys, Jaquan Johnson, and Dean Marlowe.  Need upgrades there.

• Agree 3
  • Thank you (+1) 2

30 minutes ago, Beck Water said:

The RFAs are all slam-dunks I think.  Tyrel Dodson, Dane Jackson, and Cam Lewis all worth a qualifying offer as RFA.

Guys I'd like to see back if their contracts are affordable include Tyler Matekavich (ST captain, especially if we move on from Taiwan Jones), Sam Martin (did well as punter), Case Keenum, and AJ Klein.  Jordan Philips played well when healthy, but he appeared to impair his own health stupidly trying to extend the plays.  He was overpaid for his overall contributions IMO.  Shaq Lawson, I thought, played about his best football and would be worth trying to bring back - it'd depend upon what he wants.

Rather than bring Saffold back, I would rather see Ike Boettger re-signed to a minimum deal if possible and look for an upgrade on OL in the draft and FA

I think it's time to move on from Taiwan Jones, Jake Kumerow, Tommy Sweeney, most of the OL guys, Jaquan Johnson, and Dean Marlowe.  Need upgrades there.

So far I did the OL state Of position group. I am not bringing any of the UFAs back in that group. 

• Agree 2

32 minutes ago, Beck Water said:

Im personally tired of Beanes magic.  It has turned out to be quite the turd due to his awful drafting 

I kind of get the sense that Jordan Phillips has played injured all year, so I would love to have him back at the veteran minimum. I also think that Devin Singletary would be a good option for us at $5M/yr if he’s interested.. Other than that, I think I would let everyone walk.

I’m also ecstatic that we have so many free agents on our OL. Good riddance! Don’t let the door hit ya on the way out. Buffalo needs to revamp this unit and then some. 330lbs minimum should be the weight requirement for anyone we draft or bring in.

the overall roster for 2023 kinda sucks.

assuming poyer is gone and hamlin perhaps doesn't return, it's an entirely new safety position with the lone returner being hyde at 33 years old coming off a serious injury. 

the CBs are fine, but only if Tre White returns to pre injury form.

LBs are okay with Milano and Edmunds, but if Edmunds walks it's a bit more uncertain.

the DEs/DTs are mostly under contract, but this was a unit that didn't perform to expectations (especially after Von was injured, and he himself will be 34 and coming off an injury.) 

WR room is trash outside of Diggs, the upside of Shakir not withstanding (increasingly don't think Gabe is a real #2). 

TE is fine with Knox.

RB is meh, nothing special.

Offensive line is underwhelming and will need to be rebuilt. 

QB is great. 

There's not too many areas of clear strength vs the other elite teams in the AFC imo. The draft classes haven't panned out as you'd hope, which puts a lot of pressure on this year's draft. 

Surprisingly not as bad as I was thinking. Not a ton of key people, or like, half the team.

The entire OL can walk at this point. This is where Beane has to hit it hard.

As hard as it is for me to believe I'm about to say this, hear it goes... You have to pay Tremaine.

Agreed on bringing back the back up and ST guys (Keenum, Klein, Martin, Matakevich).

The Bills are always better with Shaw and Jordan around.

• Agree 1

We are going to have to borrow from the future just to put a team on the field in 2023.

We have so many holes in so many places that when we borrow we do it to at least provide some stability. So I think you have to figure out Edmunds and Poyer. We’re likely a mess without them and cannot afford to spend the draft capital on MLB, SS, and OL. 

• Agree 1

3 minutes ago, Dan Darragh said:

Who exactly is TE2?

TBD or Dawson Knox if we somehow land somebody ridiculously good. Not throwing shade at Knox he's good and his having to cover for a crap O-line all season I think took away from what he could have been as a weapon this year. But we've needed to address TE2 for a while now, if we get one in the draft that somehow miraculously passes him I'm fine with it.

• Like (+1) 1

14 minutes ago, H2o said:

Maybe Lawson, Phillips, Martin. Edmunds is going to be too expensive so to the rest

5Tc.gif

13 minutes ago, Devilmann said:

I’d bring back the punter he’s good. 

8 minutes ago, DrDawkinstein said:

Surprisingly not as bad as I was thinking. Not a ton of key people, or like, half the team.

The entire OL can walk at this point. This is where Beane has to hit it hard.

As hard as it is for me to believe I'm about to say this, hear it goes... You have to pay Tremaine.

Agreed on bringing back the back up and ST guys (Keenum, Klein, Martin, Matakevich).

The Bills are always better with Shaw and Jordan around.

Just let Sam Martin walk... Araiza is still available:wub:

• Like (+1) 1
  • Eyeroll 1

1 minute ago, Warcodered said:

TBD or Dawson Knox if we somehow land somebody ridiculously good. Not throwing shade at Knox he's good and his having to cover for a crap O-line all season I think took away from what he could have been as a weapon this year. But we've needed to address TE2 for a while now, if we get one in the draft that somehow miraculously passes him I'm fine with it.

Daboll, Dorsey, nor Allen seem

to have any interest in throwing to one TE with any regularity, let alone 2

TE and TE2 are just unicorns this staff and fan base keep chasing, just like a RB who is a receiving threat. Cook has been good lately and only played like 1/3 of snaps with zero targets. 

2 minutes ago, Mango said:

Daboll, Dorsey, nor Allen seem

to have any interest in throwing to one TE with any regularity, let alone 2

TE and TE2 are just unicorns this staff and fan base keep chasing, just like a RB who is a receiving threat. Cook has been good lately and only played like 1/3 of snaps with zero targets. 

Knox was on what a 5 game TD streak before yesterday? When TE is your solution to your crappy O-line you can't exactly use them as weapons as often. Fixing the O-line is absolutely a priority.

• Like (+1) 1

This topic is OLD. A NEW topic should be started unless there is a very specific reason to revive this one.