A day later, I'm still in the camp of cleaning house.

Pine Barrens Mafia

5 minutes ago, The Firebaugh Kid said:

I'm 50/50 on Sean, but replacing both coordinators is absolutely on the table for me. 

And someone needs to atone for these God awful draft picks. 

Boogie is the slowest pile of dung I've ever seen, and 57 and 91 are invisible. Those are huge misses on high draft picks. 

#91 was not invisible when he was healthy. He was hurt a lot this year, and played the last 4 or 5 games with his right shoulder held together by tape. But has he justified top 10 pick status? No, it is fair, he hasn't. 

Cody Ford, AJE, Boogie Basham, Spencer Brown, 3 day two picks on running backs and we still can't rush the passer in big spots, have a dreaful oline and an inconsistent run game. That is on Brandon Beane. 

I repeat I wouldn't fire anyone now, but the entire regime has to do better in 2023 or else I might. 

• Agree 3

At this point, I don't care what the fix is...just fix it. I will say I think Beane has Drafted good players, but McDermott is reluctant to put them in...Shakir is a good WR and he's had flashes, but he needed time on the field to really show it. I think it's right not to re-sign Poyer, I didn't agree with the Hyde extension, and the Offensive Line needs the majority of attention, but Elam not playing while Dane was getting cooked is on McDermott. McKenzie the fumble-drops machine playing over Shakir is on McDermott. The really crappy Offensive play-calling in critical situations is on Dorsey and his continued lack of performance without accountability is on McDermott.

I've been a McDermott fan since his arrival and he was the perfect coach for what happened with Hamlin, but really I question his decisions over the last two years in regards to how he adapts. I think we've seen the influence Daboll had on the Offense and Josh and rightfully, I think McDermott gave Daboll total control over the Offense. But, it was his job to find the right Coordinator for the job and while I appreciate Josh's in-put, it's not Josh's job that's on the line - it's McDermott's if the Offense failed. And it did. Too often in critical moments. 

So, fire whomever - I would keep Beane for the aforementioned reasons - but it's time for change.

Edit: I also think it's time for the Bills to stop granting permission for interviews to Coordinators until they're done. It's a distraction and it keeps happening which I think, at least to some small degree, influences the preparation and focus of the Coordinators for the playoff game.

Edited by BigBuff423
Extra Thought
  • Like (+1) 2
  • Agree 1

When you look at this team as a whole, i'm not sure I see a single star outside of Allen, Diggs, and Milano.  Every single other player needs to be looked at from a cost/benefit ratio, and terminate with extreme prejudice.  Someone else brought up the example of KC turning over their whole OL in 1 year.  I watched them Saturday and their OL appears to be light years better than ours.

I said it a few months back here, maybe after the Vikings game.  Something has been off with this team for the back half of the season.  Yeah, the blizzard, Hamlin, etc, but i cant help but feel there's something else going on.  Even Allen completely lacked fire yesterday.  Has McD's style run it's course?

• Like (+1) 1

29 minutes ago, SCBills said:

I thought taking a beat, sleeping on it.. maybe I’d be a bit more chill. 

I’m even more frustrated this morning.

Sweeping changes need to be made.  

Three years.  Three brutal losses in the Playoffs and no Super Bowl appearances. 

The current iteration of the Bills team needs to be over.  

That goes beyond just letting guys walk.  It means trading some guys and letting go of coaches..

I don’t want McDermott here anymore, but understand he likely will.. so make him step up and bring in new coordinators. 

4 brutal losses.  You’re forgetting the blown 16-0 lead vs Houston

• Like (+1) 2
  • Agree 2
  • Awesome! (+1) 1

I'm torn.  Brandon Beane and Sean McDermott should be commended for lifting this franchise out of the gutter, and making it relevant for the first time in almost 20 years.  But it was VERY clear yesterday.  What they constructed is good enough to make the playoffs.  It's not good enough to win a Super Bowl.  And everyone involved plays a major role in that truth.

Beane spent THREE YEARS of major draft resources on the D-Line.  What we witnessed yesterday was absolutely unacceptable failure.  With their starting O-Line in shambles, the Bengals completely rolled us in the trenches.  Not a single one of Beane's high picks made a single play all day.  Ed Oliver.  AJ Epenesa.  Greg Rousseau.  Boogie Basham.  Our great hope is a 34-year-old Von Miller coming back from his second ACL tear in December next year.

McDermott seems to have built a close locker room, and players seem to respect him.  But the guy and his staff NEVER bring it when it comes to original/creative gameplans.  He always relying on the players to execute the standard playbook, which is JUST NOT ENOUGH when you are facing elite Quarterbacks in the postseason.  You have to throw in wrinkles and surprises, and he just never does it.  His defense has collapsed in the playoffs four years in a row.  

• Agree 2
  • Thank you (+1) 1

13 seconds.  That right there should have been the eye opener.  Something is rotten within the coaching ranks.  They made 3 horrible decisions in those 13 seconds.  They didn't kick the ball short, then they sat back and allowed the chiefs receivers to pickup an easy 20 yard play.  Then, they did it again.  Who made those decisions?  Was it all McDermott or was it all Frazier or possibly both?  Now both lines look like my high school team could move them around.  Nah man, it's time for some new blood.  Maybe it's just Frazier out but everything is on the table.  

1 minute ago, mjt328 said:

I'm torn.  Brandon Beane and Sean McDermott should be commended for lifting this franchise out of the gutter, and making it relevant for the first time in almost 20 years.  But it was VERY clear yesterday.  What they constructed is good enough to make the playoffs.  It's not good enough to win a Super Bowl.  And everyone involved plays a major role in that truth.

Beane spent THREE YEARS of major draft resources on the D-Line.  What we witnessed yesterday was absolutely unacceptable failure.  With their starting O-Line in shambles, the Bengals completely rolled us in the trenches.  Not a single one of Beane's high picks made a single play all day.  Ed Oliver.  AJ Epenesa.  Greg Rousseau.  Boogie Basham.  Our great hope is a 34-year-old Von Miller coming back from his second ACL tear in December next year.

McDermott seems to have built a close locker room, and players seem to respect him.  But the guy and his staff NEVER bring it when it comes to original/creative gameplans.  He always relying on the players to execute the standard playbook, which is JUST NOT ENOUGH when you are facing elite Quarterbacks in the postseason.  You have to throw in wrinkles and surprises, and he just never does it.  His defense has collapsed in the playoffs four years in a row.  

You're describing the Titans of the last 5 years.  I really love me some big baller Beane.  I hope he sees the light and does what needs to be done here.  

• Like (+1) 1

59 minutes ago, Pine Barrens Mafia said:

Here's why: 

1) draft malfeasance: starting with the atrocious decision to to draft an undersized DT in the top 10 (a guy who's been rotational and not game changing in any way instead of a top offensive talent on the line or receiver) and ending with drafting a CB who isn't a scheme fit and therefore really didn't contribute all that much, Brandon Beane has failed in the draft post 2018. That failure was a DIRECT contributor to the divisional round ceiling this team now has. 

2) misplaced loyalty: McDermott is loyal. I get it. He doesn't want to throw his guys under the bus. Star L, Trent Murphy, Leslie Frazier, I could go on, but why? The man can't recognize cancer and lets it fester.

3) complete lack of situational awareness: this coaching staff is incapable of seeing the forest for the trees and is all too willing to continue doing what isn't working on and off the field in the name of continuity.

4) defensive malpractice: for guys who claim expertise in defense, this team's defense sucks, on ice. It's a worse version of the colts finesse defense under Dungy. It plays zone 90% of the time but can't stop a third and long if their lives depended on it. I'm over the soft zone. Time to go. 

5) it's just time. Sometimes a guy comes in, cleans house, gets things working. A guy may succeed in that job, but find himself incapable of taking the next step. That's Sean McDermott. He's a great culture builder and I mean great. But he's hit his ceiling..bring someone in who can get the job done. 

Not a thing I can disagree with here!

People always use the Window analogy for the Super Bowl. Our window was fully open last year and the Defensive , Special teams and Head coach blew it as a group and did so in 13 seconds.

The first window is now mostly closed.

I have a sneaking hunch that a different D coordinator might be able to get more out of our personal then Frazier and McD.

Finally, a team takes on the personality of its head coach to some degree. This team clearly has. Reactionary and hesitant!!!!! It seems to have gotten into Allen even. 
     We need wholesale changed in the coaching department but as others have stated I doubt it happens soon enough.

Does Beane have the cajones and awareness to sever McBeane and go in another direction??!!!

• Like (+1) 2

After watching the 49ers and Cowboys play shortly after our game, I quickly realized how undermanned we are on defense.  Those guys fly around and make plays.  

There were times yesterday that Joe Burrow looked like he was in training camp, playing against guys that won't make the team.  It was really bad.

1 minute ago, BillyBilliams said:

4 brutal losses.  You’re forgetting the blown 16-0 lead vs Houston

At least in that game we got superman josh at the end and it was exciting.  This game was garbage and the Bills put in an insulting effort.  I almost bought tickets for my son and I to go to this game and i am patting myself on the back today

11 minutes ago, BigBuff423 said:

At this point, I don't care what the fix is...just fix it. I will say I think Beane has Drafted good players, but McDermott is reluctant to put them in...Shakir is a good WR and he's had flashes, but he needed time on the field to really show it. I think it's right not to re-sign Poyer, I didn't agree with the Hyde extension, and the Offensive Line needs the majority of attention, but Elam not playing while Dane was getting cooked is on McDermott. McKenzie the fumble-drops machine playing over Shakir is on McDermott. The really crappy Offensive play-calling in critical situations is on Dorsey and his continued lack of performance without accountability is on McDermott.

I've been a McDermott fan since his arrival and he was the perfect coach for what happened with Hamlin, but really I question his decisions over the last two years in regards to how he adapts. I think we've seen the influence Daboll had on the Offense and Josh and rightfully, I think McDermott gave Daboll total control over the Offense. But, it was his job to find the right Coordinator for the job and while I appreciate Josh's in-put, it's not Josh's job that's on the line - it's McDermott's if the Offense failed. And it did. Too often in critical moments. 

So, fire whomever - I would keep Beane for the aforementioned reasons - but it's time for change.

Yeah, I really trust Beane.  I tore us down when he first got here and quickly built a really good team for 2020 season.  The last 2 years has been filling in holes and hoping the others improve.  Didn't happen.  

7 minutes ago, Mark92 said:

13 seconds.  That right there should have been the eye opener.  Something is rotten within the coaching ranks.  They made 3 horrible decisions in those 13 seconds.  They didn't kick the ball short, then they sat back and allowed the chiefs receivers to pickup an easy 20 yard play.  Then, they did it again.  Who made those decisions?  Was it all McDermott or was it all Frazier or possibly both?  Now both lines look like my high school team could move them around.  Nah man, it's time for some new blood.  Maybe it's just Frazier out but everything is on the table.  

You're describing the Titans of the last 5 years.  I really love me some big baller Beane.  I hope he sees the light and does what needs to be done here.  

ALL SEASON that soft zone let up 3rd and long over and over again. Does any other playoff team play that?

• Like (+1) 1

45 minutes ago, Mr. WEO said:

The "culture" he has built is of playoff chokers.

They need a new culture.  Or  no culture.  Just win baby.

Yep.

Yesterday turned me. Enough is enough. I don’t want Marv Levy and 4 Super Bowl losses. I want John ***** Gruden and 1 Super Bowl win.

• Like (+1) 3

7 minutes ago, TonyBeets said:

After watching the 49ers and Cowboys play shortly after our game, I quickly realized how undermanned we are on defense.  Those guys fly around and make plays.  

There were times yesterday that Joe Burrow looked like he was in training camp, playing against guys that won't make the team.  It was really bad.

Again I wouldn't say undermanned because those teams run different looks and try things on a week to week basis to try and stop the opposing team. We Trott out the same nickle defense and refuse to get out of it. And when we do bring pressure we play so far off of the receivers the pressure means nothing. I'd like to see this defense with a guy who has the sack to actually attack on defense, not sit back and play soft. 

Edited by BillzFreak
  • Like (+1) 1
  • Agree 1

If I had to venture a guess, it makes more sense to move on from Frazier first. 

Bills are going to lose defensive talent over the next year or two and it makes sense from a timing standpoint to change while the talent is changing. 

Dorsey gets more weapons and line next year to prove he’s the guy. If not he’s gone 

3 minutes ago, TonyBeets said:

The four best teams are in the conference finals with an honorable mention going to the Cowboys.  After yesterday, the Bills just look like they're on the second tier.  My expectations for major changes are dim.  These guys are just going to make marginal moves that won't do much because I think they incorrectly believe they are "this close" to it.  After watching the NFC game last night and the Chiefs they're not.  The Bills are no closer than the Giants were against the Eagles.  Which is depressing.

I think there's only one person that has any leverage to approach ownership and demand changes be made and that's Josh Allen.  I suspect he's not quite there yet but if I'm his agent I would entertain having a discussion with ownership suggesting I'm not going sit idly and allow my client to take another 17 game beating like he did this season and expose himself to injury or long term health issues.  So unless Pegula makes some major moves I'm going to demand a trade where Josh can go to a team committed to providing an offensive line and the weapons he needs to succeed and the Bills can get a decent return of around 3 first rounders for their trouble.  At the very least such a demand would enrage the fan base to a point and level that Pegula could not ignore.

• Agree 2

3 minutes ago, gonzo1105 said:

If I had to venture a guess, it makes more sense to move on from Frazier first. 

Bills are going to lose defensive talent over the next year or two and it makes sense from a timing standpoint to change while the talent is changing. 

Dorsey gets more weapons and line next year to prove he’s the guy. If not he’s gone 

I wonder if the next few days will play out like this:

Beane and McDermott let the dust settle and avoid the post-battering emotions. 

Beane communicates that Frazier has been given a LOT of resources over the past several seasons and yet has continually underperformed in key games --> he has to go

McD goes Wade Phillips and says "I wont fire him, if he goes I go"

Beane decides that is the best course of action for the team

I have been saying for at least the past 2 years that Frazier is not the guy to win us the big one. I find it fascinating that Beane "cleaned" the roster upon arrival to build a team which McD and Frazier wanted. And yet 5+ years in, we still got 13 seconds and the absolute disaster yesterday. The NFL doesnt give you such a long time to succeed in the NFL. You have a generational talent at QB - dont waste it !

• Like (+1) 1
  • Agree 2

Just now, All_Pro_Bills said:

The four best teams are in the conference finals with an honorable mention going to the Cowboys.  After yesterday, the Bills just look like they're on the second tier.  My expectations for major changes are dim.  These guys are just going to make marginal moves that won't do much because I think they incorrectly believe they are "this close" to it.  After watching the NFC game last night and the Chiefs they're not.  The Bills are no closer than the Giants were against the Eagles.  Which is depressing.

I think there's only one person that has any leverage to approach ownership and demand changes be made and that's Josh Allen.  I suspect he's not quite there yet but if I'm his agent I would entertain having a discussion with ownership suggesting I'm not going sit idly and allow my client to take another 17 game beating like he did this season and expose himself to injury or long term health issues.  So unless Pegula makes some major moves I'm going to demand a trade where Josh can go to a team committed to providing an offensive line and the weapons he needs to succeed and the Bills can get a decent return of around 3 first rounders for their trouble.  At the very least such a demand would enrage the fan base to a point and level that Pegula could not ignore.

Demanding a trade is foolish and won't happen. Expressing deep concern and demanding accountability is right. Josh is a legacy qb, but you only get the rewards with playoff success. The current team and coaching philosophy leaves a lot to be desired to make that happen.

Reading through all of the comments this morning it’s rare to see such consensus around a topic….on anything these days. We all know it. We can all see it. The Bills are simply not physical enough to beat the better teams week after week in a playoff run. And that’s on BOTH sides of the ball. 

The question is will management do anything about it? I, for one, doubt it. 

• Sad 1
  • Agree 2

This topic is OLD. A NEW topic should be started unless there is a very specific reason to revive this one.