Beane’s mediocre draft record

Shanahan's Horseshoe

Critiquing the draft is one of the more impossible things to do when it comes to analysis in football.  So many different variables, first and foremost the hit rate is incredibly low.  Then, where did the team pick, who was available, and how much opportunity has the player received from the coaching staff. 

I think if you really go back and look at what Beane has done since 2018, I wouldnt say the drafting is below average.

• Disagree 5

4 minutes ago, Southern_Bills said:

I'm assuming you mean the 1-2 low character guys will wreck the entire locker room? 

If that's the case you had a weak culture anyways.

They need to try something different, we either get embarrassed or are in the wrong end of the "game of the year" every year, not a good spit to be in.

Right. I’m advocating getting some di**heads in here who are mean SOBs. If McDs culture can’t withstand that, it wasn’t worth having in the first place.

Edited by Best Williams Available

14 minutes ago, Best Williams Available said:

If your system can be poisoned by 1-2 guys, how do you expect to win with such fragility?

This is a great point. Every team’s offense  is gonna be crushed if the QB goes down but how many offense would cave without their #1 WR like the Bills would?  

13 minutes ago, SCBills said:

Id say we’ve drafted pretty similarly to the Chiefs, and we’ll see how they stack up against the Bengals in Arrowhead, but the big difference is they have a monster in the middle of their DL in Chris Jones. 

They also play their rookies.  

Who knows what Elam, Cook and Shakir could’ve given us if they were given regular reps all season. 

Cook was a reach in the 2nd.. Everyone is enamored with his speed but he will never be a #1 RB becasue  he hates contact and is waful in pass pro.  He has never been physical and never will be.  That was literally the knock on him coming out of High School and he ain’t changing.

10 minutes ago, JaCrispy said:

It’s because he falls into the trap of drafting for need instead of value…he’s constantly reaching on prospects to fill a need…

Spot on.  The Elam, Cook and Boogie picks are perfect examples of that. 

I'm not going to defend Beane...It has not been ideal...But I also don't think there has been a single Draft pick on Day 1, or 2, that McD has not had a major say in since he's been here. 

The thing with me and Beane/McD will always be DK Metcalf...I still cannot believe that one. I would have taken him over Oliver...But I understood when they didn't...But having him fall into your lap in the 2nd, then picking Cody Ford...I was so dumbfounded by that one...Just fell right into our laps and they passed. That was my favorite Draft to look at leading up to it because I just knew we were going to get DK Metcalf...lol...I was so disappointed...B-)

• Like (+1) 3
  • Agree 1
  • Thank you (+1) 1

6 minutes ago, WyoAZBillfan said:

Which others are you referring? Please elaborate. 49’s with Mr irrelevant and a horde of firsts? Eagles? KC? Do tell. 

Wait are you serious?  KC has gotten a ton of production and snaps from 6 of their top 7 picks this year.  Karlaftis, Mcduffie and Watson all start. Moore, Cooke, WIliams and Chenal all play a ton.  

6 minutes ago, KOKBILLS said:

I'm not going to defend Beane...It has not been ideal...But I also don't think there has been a single Draft pick on Day 1, or 2, that McD has not had a major say in since he's been here. 

The thing with me and Beane/McD will always be DK Metcalf...I still cannot believe that one. I would have taken him over Oliver...But I understood when they didn't...But having him fall into your lap in the 2nd, then picking Cody Ford...I was so dumbfounded by that one...Just fell right into our laps and they passed. That was my favorite Draft to look at leading up to it because I just knew we were going to get DK Metcalf...lol...I was so disappointed...B-)

Cody Ford, AJ, Boogie?

• Agree 1
  • Haha (+1) 1

17 minutes ago, WyoAZBillfan said:

Which others are you referring? Please elaborate. 49’s with Mr irrelevant and a horde of firsts? Eagles? KC? Do tell. 

Pacheco rb kc - is absolutely impactful 

now rb 1

karlaftis de kc. Gets pressure . Looks like he belongs in the nfl unlike aje 

• Like (+1) 1
  • Agree 2

8 minutes ago, Shanahan's Horseshoe said:

Wait are you serious?  KC has gotten a ton of production and snaps from 6 of their top 7 picks this year.  Karlaftis, Mcduffie and Watson all start. Moore, Cooke, WIliams and Chenal all play a ton.  

Cody Ford, AJ, Boogie?

You left out Pacheco who is the Chiefs starting RB.

3 hours ago, Shanahan's Horseshoe said:

This years might be the worst.  Like you said, other than Shakir, we didn’t have a single rookie make a difference today and most of the year. Everyone wants to crown Cook but he’ll never be a 3 down back.  He is the softest runner I’ve ever seen.  And LOL at Bernard.  That pick was bizarre. 

Bernard was a total waste,  another high motor no size or speed player who will but cut in 2years. Had he drafted Metcalf or Brown they would not have had to trade for Diggs and could have drafted Jefferson. Everyone hails him as genius but he has blown many picks and it has cost us.

5 minutes ago, Niagara Dude said:

Bernard was a total waste,  another high motor no size or speed player who will but cut in 2years. Had he drafted Metcalf or Brown they would not have had to trade for Diggs and could have drafted Jefferson. Everyone hails him as genius but he has blown many picks and it has cost us.

And what has Jefferson gotten the Vikings to? Let's not rip on the Chiefs for taking Mecole Hardman over Metcalf because...?

• Haha (+1) 1

1 minute ago, Brian Higgins hair said:

My head scratcher was Terrell Bernard.

A nice kid.

3rd round. 

Who does he replace? 
Too small for linebacker. Too slow for safety.

A 3rd rounder for a career special teamer? 

I hear you...Bernard was Drafted at #89 overall...There were few decent players that went shortly after him. Most notably Kirby Joseph...But I can accept missing in that area from time to time.

Bernard is behind a few for me...They Drafted Basham two picks before Creed freaking Humphrey...If you listen to Joe Marino enough you understand the pain there. They Drafted Epenesa, who they made drop weight just to try and fit, over Josh Uche who is a problem pass rusher. They wasted a 3rd Round pick on Zack Moss. Terry McLaurin went 2 picks after Motor...And as I've said ad nauseum...Cody Ford over DK Metcalf, who I thought was the best player in that entire Draft outside of Bosa...So...B-)

• Like (+1) 1
  • Awesome! (+1) 1

3 hours ago, TheFunPolice said:

This is something that needs attention.

Our rookies cannot get a jersey on game day at positions of serious need.

Cook was a non factor almost all season. Elam barely dressed. His never ending 1st and 2nd round DL are invisible. 

That’s McDermott for you…. 

1 minute ago, The Jokeman said:

And what has Jefferson gotten the Vikings to? Let's not rip on the Chiefs for taking Mecole Hardman over Metcalf because...?

Are you serious,  he is one of best receivers in the NFL playing on rookie contract.  Big production at low salary,  learn the cap before speaking.

• Like (+1) 1

1 minute ago, The Jokeman said:

Part of its opportunity and system. 

Opportunity is created by play on the field. The Chiefs rookie Defensive play makers prove that. And if it’s the system, we have a whole other conversation.. drafting players who can’t excel in the coaches’ system. Oh that sounds fantastic. 

Just now, Billl said:

What does that have to do with the 2022 Chiefs’ draft class?

You want to rip on Beans poor draft record it's on fair to bring up busts by the Chiefs if going to make a comparison. 

2 minutes ago, Thrivefourfive said:

Opportunity is created by play on the field. The Chiefs rookie Defensive play makers prove that. And if it’s the system, we have a whole other conversation.. drafting players who can’t excel in the coaches’ system. Oh that sounds fantastic. 

The Chiefs defense was statistical worse than the Bills this season. They also have one of the top 5 DT in the game in Chris Jones. Last I checked nobody on our Dline was that good. 

9 minutes ago, KOKBILLS said:

I hear you...Bernard was Drafted at #89 overall...There were few decent players that went shortly after him. Most notably Kirby Joseph...But I can accept missing in that area from time to time.

Bernard is behind a few for me...They Drafted Basham two picks before Creed freaking Humphrey...If you listen to Joe Marino enough you understand the pain there. They Drafted Epenesa, who they made drop weight just to try and fit, over Josh Uche who is a problem pass rusher. They wasted a 3rd Round pick on Zack Moss. Terry McLaurin went 2 picks after Motor...And as I've said ad nauseum...Cody Ford over DK Metcalf, who I thought was the best player in that entire Draft outside of Bosa...So...B-)

Whats rough is that a lot of people on this board wanted those guys.  It’s not a “hindsight is 20/20” type of thing.  

10 minutes ago, The Jokeman said:

Ford was a complete 2nd round bust and they could taken either future HOF WR Metcalf or Brown.  It was a major miss just like his 3rd rounder this season.

• Thank you (+1) 1

46 minutes ago, KOKBILLS said:

The Bills could have Diggs and Metcalf right now.  Imagine.  At that point the #3 guy's job is cake.  

I'll throw Breece Hall in the mix too.  McBeane does not believe in drafting game-breaking offensive talent.  That's a problem.  

*Cook could be special, but he needs more touches.  He should be utilized like Alvin Kamara.

Edited by Chicken Boo

3 hours ago, Shanahan's Horseshoe said:

Without context of what? 

Never said that but expecting a single impact player isn’t a very lofty expectation. 

Context.  Needs to the team versus talent in the draft.  Some drafts do not have the talent you want but you get the best available.  Take Epenesa.  They needed a pass rusher.  Did not have one on the roster to pair with Hughes.  When the Bills were up in the second round, he was it.  If you look at the guys taken after him you will find roll players.  No impact players.  Saying it was a bad draft is flaccid without the totality of analysis. 

4 hours ago, Einstein said:

I mentioned this another thread too, but Beane has done a solid job of stocking the team with “good” players. But very very very few “elite” players. We have no Bosa’s, or Watts, or Chris Jones etc.

And he doesn’t seem to want to give up draft assets to acquire an elite asset like McAffrey.

That's the problem...we didn't trade for a Watt or Bosa and McCaffery and Kupp

1 minute ago, Nitro said:

Context.  Needs to the team versus talent in the draft.  Some drafts do not have the talent you want but you get the best available.  Take Epenesa.  They needed a pass rusher.  Did not have one on the roster to pair with Hughes.  When the Bills were up in the second round, he was it.  If you look at the guys taken after him you will find roll players.  No impact players.  Saying it was a bad draft is flaccid without the totality of analysis. 

AJ was never a pure pass rusher.  Aj would been much better off keeping or even adding weight and playing 5 tech or even playing 3.  He was never a bender or an athlete -  he was heavy handed and powerful with good technique and that’s how he got to the QB.  Instead we draft him and slim him down taking away his best asset, which was power and he’s been completely useless since coming here.  So instead of drafting need, which there were other players on the board that we needed, why not draft the best player or trade back?  How’s that context?

4 minutes ago, The Jokeman said:

And you think Metcalf have the exact same production here without having a Russell Wilson at QB or a Lockett on the other side? As much as like to say all things are equal they're not. 

Chiefs got a more productive and faster RB in the 7th round than we got in the second round.  That is how teams get better,  hitting on late picks

1 minute ago, Shanahan's Horseshoe said:

AJ was never a pure pass rusher.  Aj would been much better off keeping or even adding weight and playing 5 tech or even playing 3.  He was never a bender or an athlete -  he was heavy handed and powerful with good technique and that’s how he got to the QB.  Instead we draft him and slim him down taking away his best asset, which was power and he’s been completely useless since coming here.  So instead of drafting need, which there were other players on the board that we needed, why not draft the best player or trade back?  How’s that context?

6.5 sacks this season isn't poor production. 

• Like (+1) 1
  • Disagree 1
  • Haha (+1) 1

1 hour ago, Chaos said:

compared to say the cheifs and bengals? 

If you look at the drafts from 2019 through 2022 the drafts by the Chiefs and the Bengals were okay.   Bengals benefited from being awful and got Burrow, Higgins and Chase.  Chiefe had average drafts with their center as their biggest hit.  Beane drafted plenty of starters. 

• Disagree 1

This topic is OLD. A NEW topic should be started unless there is a very specific reason to revive this one.