Post-game thoughts after a disappointing loss

Logic

44 minutes ago, LeGOATski said:

What advantage did the Bengals have then, that they wouldn't have also had in a dome? If it's so simple, just answer it.

I honestly don’t know how to simplify this further for you.  Not being rude, but I have clearly stated something and you keep turning it into something else.

I did NOT say the Bengals gained an advantage, as in bad weather boosts them.  

I have like 5 times now very specifically stated the Bills are at a disadvantage in bad weather because they are not built well for bad weather conditions.  Our offense is an air it out offense that can’t run the ball.  Our defense plays off the ball zone and in bad weather it makes it even harder to get up in receivers allowing them to be wide open and exploited all day.  Our DL depends on our secondary to buy them time to get home on the QB, and they can’t in bad weather when the secondary is giving up so much space to targets.  

Bottom line:  We are not built for bad weather and teams like Cincy and KC are plenty capable of playing in bad weather.  We see a bigger drop in our optimal play in bad weather than they have.  

• Like (+1) 1
  • Agree 1

2 minutes ago, Scott7975 said:

Pats game last season.  We lost because they ran the football and we couldn't pass the ball.  True or no?  Our offense was held to its lowest points of the season today true or no?  

Even if you come up with some theory that says both teams are affected exactly the same then its still not an advantage, which is what I said... there is no home field advantage.  This team is not built to play in crap weather.  That is a fact.  To play in crap weather then you need a good run game.  Im not talking running a few times a game and having a good YPC... im talking an actual good run game where you can pound the football like they did to us today.  This is why they were less affected by the weather than we were... because they COULD pound the rock which opened ***** up for their dink and dunk. We cant.

You're pointing to the hurricane wind game?

If that's what you're basing this on, anyone can plainly see it's a flawed argument.

2 minutes ago, LeGOATski said:

Because I saw no Daquan Jones to plug up the middle and Ed Oliver getting double teamed by a well schemed rushing attack. I saw zero stunts or disguised blitzes to confuse the Bengals O line. I saw zero press coverage or shallow zones to take away the quick passes. I saw plenty of missed tackles by the Bills and not as many by the Bengals. Everything being coaching/execution. 

There was no wind.

There was light flurries.

The Bills have put up huge games before in those same conditions.

So what historical trends are you seeing that point to a big weather disadvantage for the Bills? 

What huge games have they put up on a slick field with watery snow coming down all game long?

It wasnt just light flurries.  Thats the way the camera makes it look.  Look at the close ups when they were at the tunnel and *****. 

That doesnt prove our piss poor execution wasnt affected by the weather.

• Like (+1) 1

8 minutes ago, LeGOATski said:

You're pointing to the hurricane wind game?

If that's what you're basing this on, anyone can plainly see it's a flawed argument.

What game are you pointing to?  I used it as an example.  We were completely outplayed by a garbage team because of the weather period

Our team is not built to play in the weather

Our team is built to pass the ball down field.  Something difficult to do in the ***** weather.

There was zero pressure on their QB today.  Something that hasnt happened all season and they had a third string oline with a week of practice.

They picked up like 10 yards every carry.  That didnt happen alll season.. again with a third string o line with a week of practice.

One guy on our D line being out didnt make that difference.  It wasnt just coaching.

But im done arguing with you.  Feel free to have the final word but dont expect a response.

Edited by Scott7975

2 minutes ago, BillsFooteball said:

I’m sure somewhere this is mentioned but most quiet I heard the stadium. I completely understand not going to hear much once game is out of reach. But this was first quarter and I was yelling get loud. Stadium is always rocking but not today. That many bengal fans today?

Everyone spent their money on the AFC Championship game instead. 

• Haha (+1) 1

2 hours ago, stevestojan said:

Anyone else strangely calm after this? Maybe I’m getting used to it or maybe I just never saw a path to beat the Bengals. 

But I’m over it already. I do think changes need to be made at the very highest levels, but I’m not going to let this ruin my day. 

Maybe next year. 

Yes! For me I’m real sad the season is over. There is no playing next week and of course a year I thought we get the SB won’t happen. That’s depressing. With that said something after last year 13 seconds (hell even regular season Vikings game this year)  stuck with me a lot more. Impacted sleep because I can’t stop saying “what if…” and going over and over again. This game there was none of that. It did not just come down to 1 or 2 things or refs or any of that. They were dominated start to finish both sides of ball 

2 hours ago, stevestojan said:

Anyone else strangely calm after this? Maybe I’m getting used to it or maybe I just never saw a path to beat the Bengals. 

But I’m over it already. I do think changes need to be made at the very highest levels, but I’m not going to let this ruin my day. 

Maybe next year. 

No, I actually feel the same way.

The talent is there but things just didn’t seem right with this team after the first Jets loss and got worse at times. It was a trying season. We sure did win a lot of games but they just never seemed to be who we hoped they were going to be.

A loss in today was probably a fitting way to end the season. We ended up 14-4 which is a darned good mark but I think today’s game sort of summed up their season…though that may not seem to make sense to some, it felt that way for me.

• Agree 1

3 minutes ago, Alphadawg7 said:

I honestly don’t know how to simplify this further for you.  Not being rude, but I have clearly stated something and you keep turning it into something else.

I did NOT say the Bengals gained an advantage, as in bad weather boosts them.  

I have like 5 times now very specifically stated the Bills are at a disadvantage in bad weather because they are not built well for bad weather conditions.  Our offense is an air it out offense that can’t run the ball.  Our defense plays off the ball zone and in bad weather it makes it even harder to get up in receivers allowing them to be wide open and exploited all day.  Our DL depends on our secondary to buy them time to get home on the QB, and they can’t in bad weather when the secondary is giving up so much space to targets.  

Bottom line:  We are not built for bad weather and teams like Cincy and KC are plenty capable of playing in bad weather.  We see a bigger drop in our optimal play in bad weather than they have.  

What weather conditions today stopped the Bills from executing? Light snow and no wind killed the Bills today when in the past they've played nearly perfect games in the same conditions? 

That's what you're saying. Somehow it was such a disadvantage for the Bills today. Suddenly they're "not built for it."

You're saying things that make sense on paper but are not based on what actually happened today.

Nothing about the weather today stopped the Bills from making the adjustments they needed to make. Nothing about the weather took away their potential to execute.

It sounds like you agree that the Bengals coached and executed better in a light snow day that had no effect on a football game; the type of day in which the Bills have flourished in the past.

My post game thoughts are I’m glad I turned it off at the end of the third. 100% being honest here, I don’t even know what the final score was. Just glad I didn’t have to watch the Bills bleed out. 

And now I can enjoy episode 2 of The Last of Us. 

The annual Bills let down has come, gone…time to move on. 

And watch The Last of Us. Good TV.  Well, better than watching the Bills come up small in a big spot again. 

Another very good season that did not met expectations.  

I felt some level of concern about this team after Green Bay game.  

They have been through a lot.  They really have not played good since prior to Monday Night in Cincinnati. They looked spent.  

Retooling is needed while Josh is in his prime.  It will test Beane more than ever before. He needs to find more impact players on both sides of the ball. 

I’m calm tonight because this was such a thorough butt kicking.  We were not the better team, and would not have won the Super Bowl.  Cincinnati has a nice offensive plan and exploited us.  The Bills offensive plan is to wing it with Allen and maybe mix in a handoff here and there.

The only thing that was stunning today is how woefully unprepared the Bills were.  I’m blown away that McDermott did not have his guys ready to play. and Zac Taylor was dialed in. 

• Agree 1

24 minutes ago, Scott7975 said:

What huge games have they put up on a slick field with watery snow coming down all game long?

It wasnt just light flurries.  Thats the way the camera makes it look.  Look at the close ups when they were at the tunnel and *****. 

That doesnt prove our piss poor execution wasnt affected by the weather.

Just from recent memory, they had the same conditions late in the Dolphins game this year and it didn't slow them down as they came back to win 

They had the same conditions vs the Falcons last year and the offense wasn't slowed down at all 

To say light snow was factor here is disingenuous.

In the past they've only ever been affected by heavy winds or heavy precip, neither of which occurred today.

I’m still beyond pissed that we punted on that 4th and 2 from our territory, when down by two touchdowns. Absolutely gutless. 

Instead, we punt to Cincy, and watch them eat up clock and march it right back down the field for points.  

Who knows what could’ve happened.. but we needed some balls right there. 

20 minutes ago, zow2 said:

I’m calm tonight because this was such a thorough butt kicking.  We were not the better team, and would not have won the Super Bowl.  Cincinnati has a nice offensive plan and exploited us.  The Bills offensive plan is to wing it with Allen and maybe mix in a handoff here and there.

The only thing that was stunning today is how woefully unprepared the Bills were.  I’m blown away that McDermott did not have his guys ready to play. and Zac Taylor was dialed in. 

Nailed it. 

3 hours ago, stevestojan said:

Maybe next year. 

yes, knew this was coming after the way they looked Vs Miami.  

2 hours ago, RiotAct said:

Nope.  This was our year, and we frigging blew it.

Actually last year was our year and we frigging blew it. Not a doubt in my mind they beat Cincy and go on to win the Super Bowl last year. Except they blew it in the last 12 seconds of the KC game. You don't get many chances like that and when they are frittered away, they likely never come again. Many people comforted themselves after last year that the Bills would only get better, yet they lost again in the Divisional Round looking far worse than last year. Maybe all the bad luck this year will turn around into nothing but good luck next year, but I can't help but think the Bills lost their best shot last year.

• Sad 1
  • Agree 1

Just now, IronyAbounds said:

Actually last year was our year and we frigging blew it. Not a doubt in my mind they beat Cincy and go on to win the Super Bowl last year. Except they blew it in the last 12 seconds of the KC game. You don't get many chances like that and when they are frittered away, they likely never come again. Many people comforted themselves after last year that the Bills would only get better, yet they lost again in the Divisional Round looking far worse than last year. Maybe all the bad luck this year will turn around into nothing but good luck next year, but I can't help but think the Bills lost their best shot last year.

well, that’s depressing as s***.  You’re probably right though.

This topic is OLD. A NEW topic should be started unless there is a very specific reason to revive this one.