Bengals @ Bills - Post Game Thread - January 22, 2023 - NFL Divisional Round Playoffs

BuffaloBill

1 minute ago, BIGFOOTspaceman said:

I am literally on the edge of my seat and will be for some time how the Bills are going to address the O Line. I’m not expecting much. Probably more of the same next year. 

I can't say it's the OL.  We didn't have answers for the blitzing DB's and we don't run the ball so they know what's coming basically every play.  Brown and Dawkins both had some bad plays but neither (in the big picture) were the reason we couldn't score.  We are just too predictable and teams only have to commit to coverage and pass rush not because we can't run but because we just don't.

1 minute ago, Brianmoorman4jesus said:

There is nothing physical on either side of the ball.

And that's not by accident. On defense, it is clearly the Frazier/McD concept - speed, closing on the ball, versatility are all valued over physical strength. I'm not criticizing it - it's worked really well overall - it's just a fact.

It's a little less obvious on offense, but still there. Doing things like drafting and very quickly moving in Spencer Brown at RT for example. He's not a big lower body/leverage type. He's a tall slender guy who's trying to pump himself up into a 300 pounder. And overall the emphasis has always been more toward good pass blockers than physical/run game road graders of the Wyatt Teller type. Repeat: Again, not necessarily a criticism - it's worked really well overall! - it's just a fact.

• Like (+1) 1

McDermott speaking...

Re lacking energy what happened?

Couldn't get out there, no rhythm, came out with energy but couldn't stop them.  Our effort there but couldn't stop

Re LOS

we didn't do enough at LOS. Mentioned QB too

Re expectations and result of season

Keep head up and you learn from this. It hurts. Proud of them. They had class and did well with adversity. For now this stings and wish it was diff result.

RE unsure footing caus eless confidence defense

Not an excuse. They beat us physically

cicninhas good balance. Did they have a feel for you? 

No. They played well and we thought we adjusted well jad a hard time stopping them. Their wr are tough 1 on 1 matchups. Thought we had good gameplan and tried to adjust gameplan. 

re super bowl window closed? 

No. Better team. Better coached team tham is tonight. I dotn want to do evals but disappointing..

re stefon upset where he at? 

He's a member of the bills. Competitive. We works hard. It hurts. I wouldn't want a guy that it doesn't hurt. We put it on line and it was not good enough. It stings

Re I saw him up the tunnel....?

He was there when I addressed team .that's what matters most

Re Josh..

Josh did good things. Probably wants some plays back. We all do sometimes ... We all need to grow from this. It stings. Josh is a heck of a competitpr. I'd take him on the team ant day of the week. We need to make adjustments to move forward.

Re all year didn't win all but losses were close. ... Does it matter this wasn't close?

Yeah I'm the short answer is no a loss is a loss the longer answer is another discussion for another day it's what happened whay we have to change another day. And beyond. That's what we have to go do knock at this door

Re too soon of growth of relationship of Dorsey and Josh... 2st year. Productive?

Anytime we have 2 new paly callers it's what we do moving forward and who we become.wothbsmiley at ST. Both hard workers. I'm sure they'll look back to improve. 

Re number of players we may lose..

How do you talk?

That's the hard part of business for what they went through I know how important it was to have been through this. I know you don't get that far without it. Convo for another day.

Well I mean like I said before you work your tail off all season long you work in the offseason every day as hard as you can to be the best that you can and there's only one team and we wanted to be our team and that's what hurts the most and when you don't when you don't perform up to your expectations internally That hurts and you know he just put as a competitor you're only left with one choice and that is deploy yourself together and due time and find a way to get it done and that's that's what we're steadfast and that's that'll be divisions we move forward here so on the goal hasn't changed and won't change for this organization and we got to continue to do everything we can to get there and that's the goal

Almost proud of the fact that the guys the players as young men will take the lessons that they learn from this season and the adversity that they face I think they'll take that with them through their lives as men and I think that's that's what I think that's that's a byproduct of the season the goal though is still to to make it to him when the super bowl so I'm just kind of staying in buckets here that that's that's what things the most and but the support does teach you lessons as as a person and I think they'll take that with him for sure

What would that mean what was said What can you tell us about that for the environment in there you know demar's in the locker room pregame and and you know his his just him being in the locker room his presence I think it was good for the guys and also hopefully good for him and I thought it was a pretty cool moment The game wasn't trending the way we wanted it to but when they put them on the big screen and and I just a great moment keeping perspective of course on where he was just a few weeks ago so super happy for him and and thankful that his health is returning and I know he's you know he'll continue to take it one day at a time

Doing audio teletype.  ...

Nothing really coming 

52 minutes ago, gobills404 said:

Would’ve been a 30+ point blowout without the snow

I actually think the opposite.  The poor footing with DL not being able to fire off helped neutralize the biggest advantage we would  have had against their makeshift OL.  And in those conditions their makeshift OL didn't have to be skilled, just tough, which they were.  Also whether it was coaching on the fly or game plan (or combination of both), they just looked so much better dealing with the conditions and we just looked lost dealing with it from the beginning.  

On a dry field I think we would have been more sure and confident in what we were running and at least played closer to what we were capable of  (would have been hard to be worse than whatever the hell that was in the snow)

• Like (+1) 1

8 minutes ago, boater said:

It's time for the annual end-of-season fan over reaction and suicide watch. Just a quick review of the forum subject lines shows the season finale drama is in full gear.

If it makes you feel better: the season ends this way for 31 teams every year.

Yep.

Im the end, the second best team will feel no better than the thirty second best team. 

There will only be one team that is happy once the playoffs end. 

• Like (+1) 1

Just now, The Frankish Reich said:

Do we also need a RB who drops his girlfriend with a right cross to the head?

We aren't putting together a church choir or a boy scout unit.  We are making a team of men who aren't like ordinary men.

Further, while it's scummy and terrible - why not move on? It's a football team and a football player. Mixon is going to be broke and signing autographs in his HS gym in 20 years regardless. 

5 minutes ago, DapperCam said:

Jones was out and Phillips was playing with one arm. That was the big issue on the IOL. I agree that Oliver is too inconsistent to be worth a big extension if that’s what you meant.

They had 3 starting OL out and one playing hurt and they bullied us. Keep Groot, Daquan, Phillips and Von. The rest are JAGs. Do not pay Oliver. 

• Agree 2

2 minutes ago, Punch said:

A humiliating beat down on your home turf after being picked as the Super Bowl favorite?

Bitter. It doesn't matter how you end the season. If you don't end the season hoisting the Lombardi trophy, it's bitter no matter which way you end it.

PS: I hope you didn't think the Bills were a Superbowl contender the way they played ending the season.

(This sentiment has probably already been posted here)

As empty as this feels now, imagine the empty feeling that you get when your team actually wins the whole thing, and you realize that none of it changed anything for the fanbase.  You go and get hammered at a parade.  We find excuses to do that anyway.

And we wouldn't have won the Super Bowl last year in any case.  Bengals or Rams would have sliced right through us like we saw today.

Edited by birdo67
  • Shocked 1
  • Haha (+1) 1
  • Dislike 1

This topic is OLD. A NEW topic should be started unless there is a very specific reason to revive this one.