Bengals @ Bills - Post Game Thread - January 22, 2023 - NFL Divisional Round Playoffs

BuffaloBill

4 minutes ago, Pine Barrens Mafia said:

Asking beane to be competent with the OL is a bit much, don't you think? There's a average DT out there needing a job 

If the Bills take any defense before at least the 4th round, I can't take this FO seriously anymore.

• Like (+1) 1
  • Agree 1

2 hours ago, jahnyc said:

I think we need to be realistic here.  Cinci's d-line are as a group superior to our d-line with Reader, Hubbard and Hendrickson, their WRs have more top end talent and are deeper in quality than our group, and their reconstituted o-line provided better protection to Burrows than did our o-line for Josh during the regular season and playoffs.  At each of these position groups, Cinci has more than what we have, and it showed last weekend, even with their injuries on the o-line.  Combine this with creative play calling on offense with a QB who gets the ball out quickly and a defense lead by a coordinator with the ability to come up with effective game plans, and you have a recipe for success against the Bills.

Granted, I recall that the Bills were very interested in and pursued Reader, but he chose the Bengals and we were missing Von, which I don't think would have changed the overall results.

As has been noted, there is a lot of work to do to "catch-up" to the Bengals.  I could not imagine at the start of the season that this is what I would be writing now, but this is where we are.  Beane has much work ahead of him, and not much in the way of resources or ability to change the coaching staff to get it done.  This will be interesting because the status quo will not be acceptable if the Bills want to make progress and not regress.

For me it starts with a clear indication by their actions that McD & Bean are redirecting the lions share of the FA & Draft capitol to the offense - particularly the O line and WR's.

• Agree 1

Average points hovered around 18 to 21 per game for 70 years or so. The last 13 years it's over 22 with only 2 outliers. This year and 2017.

Investing most of your resources on defense when the rules and game continue to evolve to favor scoring and offense seems like focusing on the anachronistic.

And let's not even get started in how those resources are spent or schemed... 🙂

• Agree 1

• Simon unpinned this topic
This topic is OLD. A NEW topic should be started unless there is a very specific reason to revive this one.