Bengals @ Bills - Post Game Thread - January 22, 2023 - NFL Divisional Round Playoffs

BuffaloBill

In these blowout games,  no team is as good as they look and no team is as bad.  This was a terrible plan by Bills coaches, terrible execution by the players... and a terrific plan by the Bengals.  Plus Burrow executed at a high level.  He's really good.   As the saying goes, Burrow may be a slightly better QB, but Allen is the better all around football player and that's not debatable.

I think the Chiefs are going to expose the Cincinnati Oline unlike the Bills.

• Like (+1) 4

43 minutes ago, newcam2012 said:

Don't lie to yourself. The Bengals have a lot more player talent than the Bills. 

They are light years ahead of Buffalo in the WR category. 

Obviously, both their lines are by far superior than the Bills. 

At this point Burrow is better than Allen. Hate to say it but he looks almost flawless when he plays. The guy knows how to carve an offense, escape pressure, and lead his team to big wins. He's a winner!  He's not as physically gifted but I believe he's a better all around QB. He looks Tom Brady like while Allen looks like Brett Favre. High risk and high reward. 

The Bills are better on special teams. That's about it. 

The Bengals WR's are way better then the Bills.  The Bengals TE is a little better then the Bills.  The Bengals RBs are way better then the Bills.  When healthy the Bengal's O line is better then the Bills.

But IMO there is little objective evidence that Burrow is as good as Allen at QB.  Now the difference isn't great but the fact that Allen can get the production out of his offenses talent that he does convinces me he's a better QB. And I like Burrow, followed his amazing season at LSU and live in Cincinnati where I watch him play a lot.   The fact is that Allen would take far fewer sacks and have more big time off script plays then Burrow.  Sure Allen wouldn't be quite as lethal in the short game but he would more then make up for it in the intermediate & long game.  And while Burrow is an effective running QB Allen is one of the top 3.

• Like (+1) 1

5 minutes ago, CincyBillsFan said:

The Bengals WR's are way better then the Bills.  The Bengals TE is a little better then the Bills.  The Bengals RBs are way better then the Bills.  When healthy the Bengal's O line is better then the Bills.

But IMO there is little objective evidence that Burrow is as good as Allen at QB.  Now the difference isn't great but the fact that Allen can get the production out of his offenses talent that he does convinces me he's a better QB. And I like Burrow, followed his amazing season at LSU and live in Cincinnati where I watch him play a lot.   The fact is that Allen would take far fewer sacks and have more big time off script plays then Burrow.  Sure Allen wouldn't be quite as lethal in the short game but he would more then make up for it in the intermediate & long game.  And while Burrow is an effective running QB Allen is one of the top 3.

That's more than fair. As for myself, I would take Allen over Burrow without hesitation. His physical traits are one of a kind. 

However, Burrow has a certain it factor that's very difficult to put into words and measure. I think this is where he has the slight edge on Allen. A winner in college and led a team to the Super Bowl with an awful oline. Now likely to appear in another Super Bowl. Watching him last Sunday reminded me of watching Tom Brady. Wouldn't you agree. How he read the defense and with precision picked apart the Bills secondary. I told me son wow he reminds me of Brady in real time. Meanwhile, Allen was missing passes to a wide open Diggs for a TD. Sure he was under pressure but he still has to make that pass! 

With better team help on the oline and more weapons I can totally see Allen outshining Burrow. Problem is can and will this happen. Until them Allen's talent and accomplishments will be stunted. 

1 hour ago, newcam2012 said:

Don't lie to yourself. The Bengals have a lot more player talent than the Bills. 

At this point Burrow is better than Allen. Hate to say it but he looks almost flawless when he plays. The guy knows how to carve an offense, escape pressure, and lead his team to big wins. He's a winner!  He's not as physically gifted but I believe he's a better all around QB. He looks Tom Brady like while Allen looks like Brett Favre. High risk and high reward. 

You can’t compare results of receivers when the OC was way over his head and the oline not as good. Let’s not forget Cincinnati should have lost to Baltimore the week before if they don’t fumble. Your act as if Cinci is an unstoppable machine, simply isn’t true and should be proven in the next to games. I’ll be shocked if they win the Super Bowl. You certainly were not saying Burrows was a better Qb after the first 4 games. Are you calling Purdy better than Allen because of getting to the championship game? It’s all in context of who they play with and the system they are operating in. There certainly is personnel issues with the team, coaching problems and philosophies are an even bigger problem.

He didn’t look flawless against Baltimore and should have lost, hell  if not for terrible officiating he loses to the Patriots. 

Curious, how would Allen do with those WRs and even Mixon? Their patchwork O line seemed effective, ours has been very hot and cold on best days. To say Burrow is better might be a stretch, but hard to argue results unless same on both sides I reckon. 

• Like (+1) 2

3 minutes ago, GETTOTHE50 said:

Burrow doesn’t have nearly the amount as talent Josh has. Put Josh on that bengals team with roster and coaching staff and they are winning the superbowl for the next 5-7 years 

Well … no. 
I’ll still take Josh over Burrow, but raw talent isn’t the deciding factor here. Steve McNair had a lot more “raw talent” than Peyton Manning or Tom Brady. So did a lot of other guys who won’t be in the Hall of Fame or anywhere near it. Reading defenses, using good judgement, getting rid of the ball quickly — those skills are real, and even if you want to limit the idea of raw talent to physical attributes, the all-time greats usually have more of the intangibles than they do of physical attributes. 

• Thank you (+1) 1

3 minutes ago, The Frankish Reich said:

Well … no. 
I’ll still take Josh over Burrow, but raw talent isn’t the deciding factor here. Steve McNair had a lot more “raw talent” than Peyton Manning or Tom Brady. So did a lot of other guys who won’t be in the Hall of Fame or anywhere near it. Reading defenses, using good judgement, getting rid of the ball quickly — those skills are real, and even if you want to limit the idea of raw talent to physical attributes, the all-time greats usually have more of the intangibles than they do of physical attributes. 

Josh can do all those Manning and Brady, even Burrow can do.

You don't think Josh can throw to a wide open Jamar Chase down the middle of the field? 

• Thank you (+1) 1

3 hours ago, newcam2012 said:

How would we know we never got any pressure on burrow

He looked plenty human in the game against the ravens

10 minutes ago, John from Riverside said:

He looked like Tom Brady vs the Bills. Wouldn't you agree?

12 minutes ago, John from Riverside said:

The Bills generated some pressure. He escaped the pressure and ran or throw a dart to his pass catchers

1 minute ago, newcam2012 said:

Look at the Chiefs and how they have remained elite. They concentrated on forming an outstanding oline. Got rid of the best WR in the league for am abundance of picks. Surrounded their franchise QB with mediocre Wrs and Rbs. 

Now look at the Bills. 

With amazing play calling for Chiefs helps tons 

24 minutes ago, newcam2012 said:

Look at the Chiefs and how they have remained elite. They concentrated on forming an outstanding oline. Got rid of the best WR in the league for am abundance of picks. Surrounded their franchise QB with mediocre Wrs and Rbs. 

Now look at the Bills. 

It took them 1 summer to fortify that line. 

Your move McBeane.

• Like (+1) 2
  • Agree 3
  • Thank you (+1) 1

3 hours ago, newcam2012 said:

That's more than fair. As for myself, I would take Allen over Burrow without hesitation. His physical traits are one of a kind. 

However, Burrow has a certain it factor that's very difficult to put into words and measure. I think this is where he has the slight edge on Allen. A winner in college and led a team to the Super Bowl with an awful oline. Now likely to appear in another Super Bowl. Watching him last Sunday reminded me of watching Tom Brady. Wouldn't you agree. How he read the defense and with precision picked apart the Bills secondary. I told me son wow he reminds me of Brady in real time. Meanwhile, Allen was missing passes to a wide open Diggs for a TD. Sure he was under pressure but he still has to make that pass! 

With better team help on the oline and more weapons I can totally see Allen outshining Burrow. Problem is can and will this happen. Until them Allen's talent and accomplishments will be stunted. 

Burrow is certainly up there with Allen and Mahomes.  Personally, I dont like the "this QB is better than that QB" talk.  They are the top QBs imo and thats all that needs to be said.  They are all different in what they do that makes them the best.

I would say though... if Burrow kept Chase but replaced his other receivers with McKenzie and 50% catch Davis, what does he look like?  Is Burrow and Cinci just as succesful?

30 minutes ago, arcane said:

Your move McBeane.

McBeane doesnt really have the resources to do so. They concentrated on the wrong side of the ball too much.

• Like (+1) 3

2 hours ago, Scott7975 said:

Burrow is certainly up there with Allen and Mahomes.  Personally, I dont like the "this QB is better than that QB" talk.  They are the top QBs imo and thats all that needs to be said.  They are all different in what they do that makes them the best.

I would say though... if Burrow kept Chase but replaced his other receivers with McKenzie and 50% catch Davis, what does he look like?  Is Burrow and Cinci just as succesful?

McBeane doesnt really have the resources to do so. They concentrated on the wrong side of the ball too much.

Burrow has the best set of skill positions in the league. It’s almost not even fair. 

• Agree 3

20 hours ago, reddogblitz said:

Frazier's defense held Baltimore to 3 points and were responsible for 7 points due to the Taron Johnson pick 6 at the end of of the 3rd quarter.  The offense scored 10.    the final score was 17-3.  The Ravens were 2nd in scoring that year.  Yet somehow the win was "largely due to Josh Allen"?

The vast majority of the wins, not that particular win. 

9 hours ago, arcane said:

Your move McBeane.

They say the replication is the greatest form of flattery

We should be replicating with the Chiefs did to build a wall in front of Josh Allen

That three-man rush of the Bengals getting to Josh Allen is going to be forever ingrained in my head

• Like (+1) 2
  • Agree 3
  • Awesome! (+1) 1
  • Thank you (+1) 3

5 hours ago, John from Riverside said:

They say the replication is the greatest form of flattery

We should be replicating with the Chiefs did to build a wall in front of Josh Allen

That three-man rush of the Bengals getting to Josh Allen is going to be forever ingrained in my head

Our OL has been ass since 2017. Our HC could care less about offense other than telling Josh to do it all. This will always be McDermott's legacy. 

• Like (+1) 1
  • Agree 1
  • Thank you (+1) 1

On 1/26/2023 at 3:44 AM, reddogblitz said:

Frazier's defense held Baltimore to 3 points and were responsible for 7 points due to the Taron Johnson pick 6 at the end of of the 3rd quarter.  The offense scored 10.    the final score was 17-3.  The Ravens were 2nd in scoring that year.  Yet somehow the win was "largely due to Josh Allen"?

There is no doubt then when it comes to defending Jackson & the Ravens Frazier does a great job. Unfortunately for the Bills the Ravens are not particularly relevant in the AFC with the Chiefs & Bengals being the obstacle to the Bills advancing to a SB. 

So Frazier gets an A for defensing a weird, unique offensive scheme by a marginal playoff level team while being utterly unable to slow down the more conventional high powered offenses of the elite AFC contenders.  And with the Chargers & Jags likley joining the ranks of KC & Cincy Frazier's D is going to become an even bigger liability

• Agree 5
  • Thank you (+1) 1

This topic is OLD. A NEW topic should be started unless there is a very specific reason to revive this one.