Rapoport: Greg Roman fired

That's No Moon

25 minutes ago, FireChans said:

I think they need to make the choice of "Is Justin Fields capable of running an NFL offense?"  If the answer is "we don't know," then you run an NFL offense and see what happens. If the answer is "no," then you dump his ass and draft Bryce Young or whoever.

Skip the entire Roman option entirely. Just a waste of time.

He ran a fairly advanced passing attack at Ohio State at an elite level. Ain't no way this dude went from that to Tyler Huntley overnight.  The problem is he's been harassed fairly frequently. 

This was an article from Oct 21

How Justin Fields is hurt by constant pressure from Bears offensive line - NBC Sports Chicago

According to PFF, Lucas Patrick has allowed 11 pressures in 57 true pass set opportunities (passes excluding play action, screens, short drop backs, plays with fewer than four rushers, and plays where the time-to-throw is under two seconds). That’s ninth most among all guards, but his 19.3% pressure rate is second highest at the position (minimum 50 opps). Sam Mustipher has allowed seven pressures in 69 TPS opportunities. That’s the fifth highest total, and his 10.1% rate is second highest among centers. Braxton Jones has been the worst offender with 17 pressures allowed in 69 TPS opportunities. That total is fourth highest among all tackles, and again, his 24.6% pressure rate is second. Teven Jenkins hasn’t been perfect, surrendering five pressures in 52 TPS opportunities, but he’s well down the list at guard. Larry Borom has been the best, giving up only four pressures in 69 TPS opportunities.

Unsurprisingly, Fields has been a very different quarterback when he’s pressured compared to when he’s kept clean.

Pressured: 33.3% completion rate, 6.9 YPA, 2 TD, 3 INT, 22 sacks, 43.8 passer rating
Clean: 65.8% completion rate, 7.9 YPA, 2 TD, 2 INT, 1 sack, 87.6 passer rating

And then also add in that his best WR this year was Mooney, who went on the IR at some point mid season. Like when they played the Bills they had Claypool, Dante Pettis and Eq. St Brown which is simply not an NFL caliber set of WRs

7 minutes ago, FireChans said:

Kaep was out of the league 3 years later. Lamar went from MVP to pending FA.

You can't sit here in one breath saying that Lamar will struggle outside of Roman's system (when Lamar has already had two pretty mediocre years) and then in the other say that he's a better option than Dak.

If you truly believe that the best they can get out of Lamar is in Greg Roman's system as the 28th or 32nd passing offense, then you cannot think he's more valuable than Dak.

You also said they should trade Lamar and start over at the beginning of the topic!

I'm not about forcing guys to be things they are not. If you recall I criticised the Bills for hiring Dennison because I knew that was gonna mean forcing Tyrod into a scheme he was not designed for. 

Lamar is a really good player in a certain style of offense. So I'd run that offense and if I wasn't going to I wouldn't try and force him into another. I'd trade him. But do I think Lamar at his peak in that scheme can be as good as Dak? Yea, I do. And I like Dak too.

Roman would probably be an excellent head coach somewhere. Install his run scheme and also have an offensive coordinator who has a nice pass game to pair with his stuff. 
Any bottom 10 team or team with a crap quarterback should be ringing his phone off the hook right now. 

• Agree 1

2 minutes ago, Scott7975 said:

As a fan I want to know my team can compete for a SB.  If I was a Ravens fan I wouldnt feel that at all. If they cant then I want them to try improve to someone who can.  Much like KC improved over Alex Smith who they were pretty competitive with but not competitive enough.

MVPs are fun little accolades but do nothing for me as a fan.

Sure... if you get a chance to upgrade you should. But if you can't you keep the offense that is letting you be successful. 

2 minutes ago, GunnerBill said:

I'm not about forcing guys to be things they are not. If you recall I criticised the Bills for hiring Dennison because I knew that was gonna mean forcing Tyrod into a scheme he was not designed for. 

Lamar is a really good player in a certain style of offense. So I'd run that offense and if I wasn't going to I wouldn't try and force him into another. I'd trade him. But do I think Lamar at his peak in that scheme can be as good as Dak? Yea, I do. And I like Dak too.

Fair enough.  Do you think Fields in that system can be? Because I don't.

Edited by FireChans

Just now, GunnerBill said:

Sure... if you get a chance to upgrade you should. But if you can't you keep the offense that is letting you be successful. 

Well yes, I agree with that. The Ravens arent doing that and I dont think Lamar has grown as a passer so I expect them to be worse next season... if Lamar is even still on the team.

44 minutes ago, That's No Moon said:

If he resigned he's got to be fairly confident that he has another gig lined up.

Probably, and it could also be a “mutually agreed upon” and also negotiated parting of the ways. 

2 minutes ago, That's No Moon said:

Yeah, but Roman has no reason to do that. He gets paid in full if he's fired in contract.

That’s my point, you can negotiate a little safety net. And nobody likes to get fired. So was it fired or resigned? 

8 minutes ago, GunnerBill said:

I am not sure he can either. But if Chicago are wedded to sticking with him then Roman is his best chance. 

I know many discount fate, but ... Ohio State QB becoming Chicago Bears QB is unholy matrimony if I've ever seen it. Maybe the curses nullify each other, but so far the signs aren't great.

• Haha (+1) 3
  • Awesome! (+1) 1

Ravens are going to tag Lamar,  and expect to get 2 first +  when some desperate team wants to go after him.   pretty much why they havent extended him.  they wont break the bank,  and want some compensation for losing him.   only thing that makes sense.   smart imo.    that Watson deal has f'd  the QB contracts for the foreseeable future.   no team wants to give that much guaranteed at this time.

Roman out doesnt exactly predict Lamar is gone, sure opens the door though.

Edited by bigduke6

This topic is OLD. A NEW topic should be started unless there is a very specific reason to revive this one.