Rules question: Illegal block to the back

simpleman

I just saw the highlights of the Cinci playoff game. On the winning fumble recovery, there was an obvious block to the back to a player that had caught up with the runner before he crossed the goal line. Why would that not be a penalty, it occurred before the touchdown was scored. I am beginning to get more and more confused about legal and illegal actions in the NFL. Thank You in advance for the explanation.

Edited by simpleman
  • Agree 4

after watching all the games this weekend i can only suspect the NFL told the refs to keep the flags in their pockets unless it was something so blatantly obvious and egregious that they had to call it.   doesnt explain the block on Andrews,  but it sure explains alot of the other stuff i saw uncalled.

imo the Phins could have had at least 7 more delay of game penalties that werent called.  

Edited by bigduke6
  • Like (+1) 3
  • Agree 3
  • Thank you (+1) 1

I remembered when I first became confused about referees making miscalls in my sports entertainment. It really made me upset.

Nowadays I recognize that such groups have more goals than a perfectly officiated match between professionals.

Life makes a lot more sense nowadays than it did back then.

• Like (+1) 2

19 minutes ago, Mr. WEO said:

this is penalty they should just get rid of.  it provides no safety to any player as it is currently enforced. 

Interesting.  I always thought it was more like holding where the spirit of the penalty is less about safety and more about that life is too easy on blockers if they can block someone in the back who's gotten leverage on them.

19 minutes ago, bigduke6 said:

after watching all the games this weekend i can only suspect the NFL told the refs to keep the flags in their pockets unless it was something so blatantly obvious and egregious that they had to call it.   doesnt explain the block on Andrews,  but it sure explains alot of the other stuff i saw uncalled.

imo the Phins could have had at least 7 more delay of game penalties that werent called.  

Then how do you explain that soft DPI call on Tre that extended the Dolphins lone actual drive?

• Thank you (+1) 2

That was obviously a block in the back. I have been wondering why no one has mentioned it on the highlight shows I’ve watched? It’s like “here’s this incredible play but we will ignore this obvious block in the back “!

Edited by 4th&long

5 minutes ago, SageAgainstTheMachine said:

Interesting.  I always thought it was more like holding where the spirit of the penalty is less about safety and more about that life is too easy on blockers if they can block someone in the back who's gotten leverage on them.

every man for himself out there.   a block is a block. 

27 minutes ago, Mr. WEO said:

this is penalty they should just get rid of.  it provides no safety to any player as it is currently enforced. 

Interesting thought. But the consequences of that would be pretty unsafe. Players would start getting blasted in the back on every play and it WOULD lead to injuries as they are not able to protect themselves.

• Like (+1) 2
  • Thank you (+1) 1

33 minutes ago, simpleman said:

I just saw the highlights of the Cinci playoff game. On the winning fumble recovery, there was an obvious block to the back to a player that had caught up with the runner before he crossed the goal line. Why would that not be a penalty, it occurred before the touchdown was scored. I am beginning to get more and more confused about legal and illegal actions in the NFL. Thank You in advance for the explanation.

The refs had swallowed their whistles by then. A few plays prior Huntley ran the ball for a big gain and first down. He was only able to do so because a Baltimore OG tackled a Cincy DT rushing up the middle. He would’ve likely tackled Huntley for a loss had that not happened. 

This topic is OLD. A NEW topic should be started unless there is a very specific reason to revive this one.