Rules question: Illegal block to the back

simpleman

Off topic but it also seems new this year to see the play-clock go well past 0 or there is a perfectly timed time out right at 0. Maybe I have PTSD from the Fins this weekend literally doing it every play. But notice it in other games as well. Much more than I can remember from past years. And what genius came up with a concept that zero does not mean zero and there is some flexibility? They would not do that on the game clock. If it is hiked after 0 then its a delay, pretty simple. 

1 minute ago, ngbills said:

Off topic but it also seems new this year to see the play-clock go well past 0 or there is a perfectly timed time out right at 0. Maybe I have PTSD from the Fins this weekend literally doing it every play. But notice it in other games as well. Much more than I can remember from past years. And what genius came up with a concept that zero does not mean zero and there is some flexibility? They would not do that on the game clock. If it is hiked after 0 then its a delay, pretty simple. 

it also happened repeatedly against Indy in the WC game in '21

Andrews was gonna catch up and tackle the guy.  The block from behind took him out of the play.  Should've been a penalty.  The Bengals would've had the ball in good field position and had to earn the victory by scoring something.  

Anybody remember when Darrick Holmes fumbled against the 49ers on Sunday Night Football?  At the goal line, and returned 99 yards to turn the game around.  

• Agree 1

56 minutes ago, Mr. WEO said:

has it stopped blocks in the back?

how many players have missed games because they got blown up in the back?

In this discussion a distinction has to be made between players being pushed or even nudged in the back and what could happen if there were no restrictions on blocking from behind.

Yes you're right the rule has not stopped the pushes and nudges but it certainly has eliminated high speed, high impact blocks in the back.

The rule exists for player safety to prevent hits that could injure players.

If backside/blindside contact were permitted it would be open season on defensive players.

Also do you really believe the game would be improved by allowing offensive players to blindside block their opponents? Should American Football also legalize holding?

• Agree 1

Same thing happened this year, I think in a Giants game...the answer basically was...'it was away from the play/it couldn't have affected it' which once you go to that kind of grey area....just another one they can call whenever they want, or don't.

Edited by Golden*Wheels

6 minutes ago, Sierra Foothills said:

In this discussion a distinction has to be made between players being pushed or even nudged in the back and what could happen if there were no restrictions on blocking from behind.

Yes you're right the rule has not stopped the pushes and nudges but it certainly has eliminated high speed, high impact blocks in the back.

The rule exists for player safety to prevent hits that could injure players.

If backside/blindside contact were permitted it would be open season on defensive players.

Also do you really believe the game would be improved by allowing offensive players to blindside block their opponents? Should American Football also legalize holding?

i was referring to kick/punt returns only

• Like (+1) 1

2 minutes ago, Sierra Foothills said:

Should American Football also legalize holding?

Im old school. What Id like to see is that no one, offense or defense, can put their arms out to block (like all offensive linemen do) or hinder movement (like defensive players do). IOW, nobody can put their hands on another player except to tackle someone. Remember in the old days when linemen had to have their arms in, hands at their heart, with fists closed, to block somebody? The latter sure would eliminate all of the illegal holding, which we know goes on every play, and is called very subjectively.

5 minutes ago, Bob Jones said:

Im old school. What Id like to see is that no one, offense or defense, can put their arms out to block (like all offensive linemen do) or hinder movement (like defensive players do). IOW, nobody can put their hands on another player except to tackle someone. Remember in the old days when linemen had to have their arms in, hands at their heart, with fists closed, to block somebody? The latter sure would eliminate all of the illegal holding, which we know goes on every play, and is called very subjectively.

Season 3 Nbc GIF by The Office

Just kidding. I don't disagree with you... just assume the position like the electric football players.

• Like (+1) 1

keep in mind that we the viewers have the advantage of repeated slow motion replays from great angles on nearly every single play.   the refs do have a difficult job in my opinion.   i dont necessarily blame them for missed called, or bad calls unless its right in front of them.    this speaks more to the NFL needing to give them more help,  which of course will cost more $$$$,  and we all know that the NFL is hurting business wise right?

we want the games,  called fairly,  and consistently.   thats a tough ask when humans are involved,  especially with the speed of the game.   having to make judgment calls on plays where you cant see the play clearly and its going 100mph,  thats a tough job.

i imagine with the integration of legalized gambling into the NFLs product such a key motivator nowadays,  that the NFL is going to have to take a look at how refs are calling games,  and how to help them out more.   you cant have people wagering on a product that will rile them up if they lose due to bad calls by refs.   bad play by the players,  fine,  not the refs though.

Edited by bigduke6
  • Like (+1) 1

Just now, Sierra Foothills said:

Belichick has said on many occasions that there should not be any restrictions on the use of replay.

I agree, with the caveat that a failed challenge results in something like a 10 yard loss (if the team is on offense) or gain for the opposition (if on defense).

• Like (+1) 1

3 hours ago, bigduke6 said:

after watching all the games this weekend i can only suspect the NFL told the refs to keep the flags in their pockets unless it was something so blatantly obvious and egregious that they had to call it.   doesnt explain the block on Andrews,  but it sure explains alot of the other stuff i saw uncalled.

imo the Phins could have had at least 7 more delay of game penalties that werent called.  

I wish they would have done that for the Cousins roughing the passer.  That was so damn bad

• Like (+1) 1
  • Agree 1

3 hours ago, bigduke6 said:

after watching all the games this weekend i can only suspect the NFL told the refs to keep the flags in their pockets unless it was something so blatantly obvious and egregious that they had to call it.   doesnt explain the block on Andrews,  but it sure explains alot of the other stuff i saw uncalled.

imo the Phins could have had at least 7 more delay of game penalties that werent called.  

All weekend the refs were not calling all the ticky tacky penalties. I think that is a good thing. Others may disagree.

This topic is OLD. A NEW topic should be started unless there is a very specific reason to revive this one.