Roquan $mith agrees to deal with Ravens - highest paid LB in NFL history

Big Blitz

19 minutes ago, GunnerBill said:

What is it with the Ravens and players representing themselves?

Lot of money for an off the ball backer. Don't think it means anything good for the Edmunds negotiations. 

Enh, it's basically an inflation-adjusted version of the Fred Warner contract. https://www.nfl.com/news/niners-linebacker-fred-warner-s-lucrative-contract-has-a-unique-structure-with-t. The going rate for elite off-ball LBs, basically. Edmunds will likely get something in this neighborhood given his youth (he'll be 25 in May). 

• Like (+1) 2
  • Thank you (+1) 1

7 minutes ago, Warriorspikes51 said:

weird timing.

I think they’re sending a message to Lamar about their priorities. Lamar has been a good citizen up til now but he’s gonna start playing hard ball soon. Ravens forum think this is great and that Lamar will happily sign the franchise tag. Somehow I don’t think Lamar will be so accommodating….

me, I think I would prioritize the QBwho single-handedly makes you a contender who has been there 5 years over a linebacker who has been In the building a couple of months…

Edited by Seoulofstone

22 minutes ago, TheBeaneBandit said:

Ridiculous contact. I just don't get it the guy has kinda regressed but that was while he was with Chicago. Haven't got to see how he has fit in with Baltimore.

All we know is years and total potential value and some guarantees.  It could be structured as a 2 year with an easy out.  Since he represented himself, it is possible he got the numbers he wanted 5 years 100 million, 20 million per but probably conceded on some T's and C's.

6 minutes ago, dave mcbride said:

Enh, it's basically an inflation-adjusted version of the Fred Warner contract. https://www.nfl.com/news/niners-linebacker-fred-warner-s-lucrative-contract-has-a-unique-structure-with-t. The going rate for elite off-ball LBs, basically. Edmunds will likely get something in this neighborhood given his youth (he'll be 25 in May). 

Yea that is fair. Still a lot for an off the ball backer. Agree Tremaine is coming in just short of this number.

• Like (+1) 2

23 minutes ago, SCBills said:

Let’s see how the defense holds up in the playoffs against good offenses.  

I don’t care about regular season rankings.  

Play well this post-season and we can entertain this.   If not, what’s the point in continuing to invest in this core of defenders?

Does the coaching get any of the blame ? 

I think the choice to re-sign or not re-sign Tremaine Edmunds is THE central decision of the offseason.

It will be the key domino that sets all the other dominos in motion.

If he's re-signed, the Bills will have a pretty frugal offseason elsewhere. If he's not, they'll have a little more room to maneuver and bring in veteran help elsewhere.

Then, of course, there's the massive hole that it would leave in the defense. Whatever you may think about Tremaine, choosing not to re-sign him means losing the defense's quarterback and an emerging leader, and leaving a big roster void at a key position in the McDermott/Frazier defense.

Big, big decision for Brandon Beane.

• Like (+1) 1

Edmunds has been about as rock solid as you can get this year. He's made more plays closer to the LOS this year. He's been seemingly better in coverage, not getting lost as much. He's blown up plays without making the tackle by forcing ball carriers elsewhere or making the QB chuck a ball when blitzing. Not everything he has done shows up on the stat sheet. But one thing I will note, you could see a clear difference in our defense when he wasn't on the field. I don't know if he gets his contract this year though. I still believe he will be the recipient of a FT and they will see if they can work something out after that. 

• Like (+1) 1

This topic is OLD. A NEW topic should be started unless there is a very specific reason to revive this one.