Indy unavailable on AFC champ week?

familykwi

Chicago has a ready NFL stadium that obviously won’t be hosting football games. 2 airports (Buff and KC are 1 hr flight) with a ton of rooms, and in the middle of all 3 locations (Cinci is closest at 5 hr drive, Buff 9 hr, KC 7 1/2)

January 29th average is 32 degrees with trace snow. 

Edited by Locomark
  • Like (+1) 1

1 minute ago, Miyagi-Do Karate said:

I am pretty sure Buffalo is big enough and has enough hotel capacity that it can host 90% of the events that Indy does, including an AFCCG and an NCAA volleyball tournament. 

Indianapolis is also really not that big of a city. I used to live out that way and they would count the population based on a much wider geographical region. 

I'm pretty sure it doesn't. Even if you go by metro area, Indianapolis is still twice as large. And it's population is growing, not shrinking like Buffalo's.

Putting a dome in downtown Buffalo doesn't magically make it a destination. That's putting the cart before the horse.

• Agree 1

18 minutes ago, LeGOATski said:

I'm pretty sure it doesn't. Even if you go by metro area, Indianapolis is still twice as large. And it's population is growing, not shrinking like Buffalo's.

Putting a dome in downtown Buffalo doesn't magically make it a destination. That's putting the cart before the horse.

we are going to have to agree to disagree, because I have no doubt that by building an indoor stadium, the ROI will be greater.

Again, if the Bills just want an outdoor stadium because they want to play outside, fine, I will live with that. But it doesn’t make any financial sense. 

13 hours ago, familykwi said:

Did they know there was NO WAY they would be participating that weekend?  Tournaments the size of the one they are describing are booked a LONG time in advance.  Likely before September.  Interesting that the site is already booked that weekend.

Many had Indy as the AFC South champs in preseason predictions.

Ye of little faith I guess.  Of course they were right

There was definitely an out clause if Colts were going to need the venue or the deal was concluded once they knew that even if they made the playoffs they wouldn’t be in position as a high enough seed to host the AFCCG.  I mean that was pretty apparent a while ago with the Colts.

13 hours ago, That's No Moon said:

Makes sense to me.  I don't think they will go further West either because that makes an imbalanced travel imposition which would eliminate LA, Phoenix, Vegas, and Denver. I don't think they use Chicago or Green Bay because of weather considerations.  I don't think they go Northeast because of the imbalanced travel which eliminates NY, Boston, Cleveland, Pittsburgh, Philadelphia, Baltimore, and Washington forgetting the fact that some of those places could be hosting the NFC game.  I don't think they use Minnesota, Tampa, Dallas, or San Fran because they could be hosting the NFC game. Seattle just doesn't make sense.  

That leaves us:

Tennessee - outdoors, presumably not being used, Central Time, driving distance advantage KC by 100 miles

Houston - domed, presumably not being used, Central Time Zone - driving distance advantage KC

New Orleans - domed, presumably not being used, Central Time Zone - driving distance advantage KC

Cincinnati - outdoors, Eastern Time - driving distance advantage Buffalo, there is NO SHOT they put this game on this field. None. Zero.

Charlotte - outdoors, Eastern Time - driving distance advantage Buffalo

Atlanta - domed, Eastern Time - driving distance advantage KC, but it's less than 100 miles difference. Flights are easy for both.

Jacksonville - outdoors, Eastern Time - driving distance advantage darned near equal

They can go to Miami - it's the only way that stadium will see an AFC Championship game anytime soon.

They are a paying customer with a contract.

Detroit??

1 hour ago, wolfpack78 said:

Any chance they put it in a midwestern college stadium with a huge capacity?  As a Columbus based fan I wouldn’t be mad if it were at the Horseshoe…

I've heard Terry Pegula probably has enough influence at State College that they would make their 110,000 seat Beaver Stadium available.

18 hours ago, familykwi said:

Did they know there was NO WAY they would be participating that weekend?  Tournaments the size of the one they are describing are booked a LONG time in advance.  Likely before September.  Interesting that the site is already booked that weekend.

Many had Indy as the AFC South champs in preseason predictions.

Ye of little faith I guess.  Of course they were right

My point is, how did Indy know THEY would not need the stadium if they made the playoffs and advanced that far?

it’s not like thousands of volleyball players didn’t know where they were headed until two weeks ago.

Why would Indy book anything that weekend if they could have been playing themselves?

3 hours ago, BearNorth said:

I've heard Terry Pegula probably has enough influence at State College that they would make their 110,000 seat Beaver Stadium available.

I’d be stunned if the NFL let a single dollar go to a non-NFL venue

This topic is OLD. A NEW topic should be started unless there is a very specific reason to revive this one.