Revisiting the Tre White to Safety thread

HOUSE

I would echo the sentiments of others on this board we should play more Dime zone. I’d add we might want to play Quarters rushing as few as 3 and bring pressure via the LB QB spy or bring a robber slot corner off the edge, or overload the 3 DL to one side of the line to simulate edge pressure and force the QB to the side of their non-throwing arm. 

5 hours ago, Royale with Cheese said:

LOL at Tre running a 4.75 - 40 because he was beat by Waddle and Chase who are lightning fast.

I ran a 4.9 - 40 when I was timed at the gym over the summer.  I’m 41 and had back surgery a year ago and certainly do not speed train.  Tre White isn’t just a little faster than me, I promise you that.

To where do we send the contract?

The td tre gave up was scheme. He wasn't beat after the snap, they beat the entire defense before the snap.

Really hard to make huge sweeping judgments on a drive and a half, especially where the defense has taken a couple drives to lock down consistently. 

That said, I have eyes, I see what it looks like as well. Just saying I'm sure there was a plan to scheme Tre into being effective and it certainly wasn't to have him playing with outside leverage and no inside help on that td.

• Like (+1) 1
  • Agree 1

2 hours ago, Big Blitz said:

I’d put Taron at Safety.  

Benford in the slot - run support here is more important then coverage - because teams are running against Nickel packages more.  

Taron is smart and physical enough.  

Elam Jackson and Tre at CB. 

This should have been done a month ago especially since Taron hasn’t been that good this year in the slot.  

That's really interesting. It's serious late stage tinkering so I can't imagine it happening, 'but on paper'...

9 hours ago, Straight Hucklebuck said:

First thread?

Ethan in Portland said how about move Tre to Safety and got lambasted (almost universally) about how stupid an idea it was.

Now, Tre is out there running a 4.75 and it doesn’t look so bad. 

Some of us did not lambast him in that thread but said it was too early to consider such a move. I think we need to see how Tre looks coming out of camp next year and then take a view. For now we have to ride with what we have I think. 

9 hours ago, KDIGGZ said:

Tre was absolutely exposed by the Bengals. They were going as far as to pick on him. Now I'm wondering if teams weren't going after him previously based solely on his reputation. I don't think he will get challenged by anyone the Pats have on Sunday but it's something to keep an eye on in the playoffs 

Predicable.

https://www.twobillsdrive.com/community/topic/243855-tredavious-white-when-will-he-be-ready/?do=findComment&comment=8061755

D8AE434F-4159-4EFB-837A-73DDF1377EB1.jpeg

• Awesome! (+1) 1

11 hours ago, HOUSE said:

I did a search and a pop up said the thread is old and to start a new one.

When I first saw the original I thought it was a bad idea.

Safety is a different animal,  the action is in front of you. A player with good instincts can pick off a lot of passes. 

Tre White is struggling at CB right now and he may be a better fit there till next season.

Just a thought.....

I clicked on agree but only if. He knows how to play the position and everything that comes with it like the calls checks and everything in between. 

12 hours ago, HOUSE said:

I did a search and a pop up said the thread is old and to start a new one.

When I first saw the original I thought it was a bad idea.

Safety is a different animal,  the action is in front of you. A player with good instincts can pick off a lot of passes. 

Tre White is struggling at CB right now and he may be a better fit there till next season.

Just a thought.....

I thought there was nothing wrong with Tre

• Haha (+1) 1

8 hours ago, LABILLBACKER said:

Marlowe is like Bates. You think it won't work until you actually give him a chance. There is no way I want Cam or Juquan in there.

It’s been quiet on Marlowe after the trade. I don’t remember him on a single rep. 

He’s inactive and I don’t remember hearing anything about him.

He did the “it’s great to be back” press conference, but nothing since. 

12 hours ago, NickelCity said:

I really only see two scenarios that would give me confidence: (1) Hyde comes back, which would give better support behind the corners, and (2) we run with a dime package as @Straight Hucklebuckhas mentioned. 

I hope and believe the former will happen (less sure than I was prior the Hamlin incident), and I don't expect our coaches to do the latter. 

Edit: maybe Benford could play safety, which although totally untried and unlikely, is alluring to me in the "please not Johnson or Lewis" sort of sense. Hopefully Marlowe will play this weekend and make us feel better. But the last few weeks don't make me think that the coaches will play him.

net, net,  with both free safeties (Hyde and DH) out , our best cover corner (Benford) out, Poyer playing on only one arm and only one leg,  Tre White playing on one leg , Bills secondary is pretty much screwed for the rest of this season.   The replacements are slow footed and will be consumed by the Kelce's and Chase's of the world. Is what it isl.  Hell, I expect f ing Mac f ing Jones to light 'em up Sunday.  

Josh had better have his A-game all post-season or this will be over pretty quickly 

I didn't read everything, so maybe this point has already been made, but the expectations of the Safeties in the Bills scheme is NOT what Tre is best at, not even close IMO.  The Bills ask their safeties to be excellent in run defense and filling gaps, usually what is known as the Alley.  So Tre is going to A) Plug a gap with Rhamondre Stevenson barreling through for a 1v1 open field tackle, B) Not be covering the opponents best receiving threats.  No.  That man is an all-pro corner.  They are different positions.  Yes, Rod Woodson and Charles Woodson made the switch and did so successfully.  They also played a lot of Center field in single high looks at a time when the NFL was still more run heavy and not asking two-high safeties to plug allies.  Plus, White is a White and not a Woodson.

• Haha (+1) 1

13 hours ago, Straight Hucklebuck said:

I think the Bengals showed we have to do something in our secondary against passing offenses.

I think a switch to Dime with only Poyer is a better move. 

White has taken over full reps at one corner position, and Dane is the other outside starter. Johnson mans the slot at 100% rep count.

But that leaves Elam glued to the bench, and Benford will be stuck there when he gets recalled.

And the Safety position is a mess because there is no closing speed or playmaking without Poyer.

We’ve seen Jaquan Johnson in the run (Jets) and pass game (Dolphins), you want him out there against Chase, Higgins and Boyd?

Cam Lewis looked like he was going in for Hamlin in Cincinnati, we’ve seen the Vikings game, but beyond that he’s never shown starter ability.

Mayden is never going to see the field, I don’t know why they made that move. 

Marlowe is inactive every week. 

I don’t think Frazier or McDermott will change anything, but Tre White at 100% snaps looks really bad. 

And we’ve seen the 2-high not work in the Playoffs against elite passing offenses. 

What did they run 8 plays?  

53 minutes ago, Straight Hucklebuck said:

It’s been quiet on Marlowe after the trade. I don’t remember him on a single rep. 

He’s inactive and I don’t remember hearing anything about him.

He did the “it’s great to be back” press conference, but nothing since. 

Not hard to figure out. He was traded for week 9. Since week 11 Poyer and Hamlin have  never come off the field. It’ll be interesting to see if Cam Lewis or Marlow play. 

49 minutes ago, ProcessTruster said:

net, net,  with both free safeties (Hyde and DH) out , our best cover corner (Benford) out, Poyer playing on only one arm and only one leg,  Tre White playing on one leg , Bills secondary is pretty much screwed for the rest of this season.   The replacements are slow footed and will be consumed by the Kelce's and Chase's of the world. Is what it isl.  Hell, I expect f ing Mac f ing Jones to light 'em up Sunday.  

Josh had better have his A-game all post-season or this will be over pretty quickly 

And yet - we haven't had a 300 yard passer since the cleveland game.  And that was almost half in garbage time (they were down 3 scores).

7 hours ago, HardyBoy said:

The td tre gave up was scheme. He wasn't beat after the snap, they beat the entire defense before the snap.

Really hard to make huge sweeping judgments on a drive and a half, especially where the defense has taken a couple drives to lock down consistently. 

That said, I have eyes, I see what it looks like as well. Just saying I'm sure there was a plan to scheme Tre into being effective and it certainly wasn't to have him playing with outside leverage and no inside help on that td.

Hard to play outside technique and break up a pass inside.  Mediocre throw, maybe you can get there, but on a good throw even if you make a play its probably a TD.  

They tend to give up a lot of short stuff early in games too as they tend to play off early.  

• Like (+1) 1

7 hours ago, HardyBoy said:

Correct. We blitzed too often on that first drive including on the TD. Not only did we blitz but we didn't get even a whiff of pressure. I don't understand why that was our game plan because Burrow is one of the best QBs in the league against the blitz. Maybe Frazier was setting things up for later? That has been the defensive trend this year, look like butter on the first drive and then start to clamp down as the game goes along.

I think people are being way too harsh on Tre for what amounted to two plays. He clearly isn't playing at his ceiling right now but he also hasn't totally dropped off a cliff. He got straight up beat by Ja'Marr Chase on one play, which happens to every CB, and then he got exposed by a poor blitz call. Like everything else about that game it is useless to try to draw meaningful conclusions from such limited game time.

This topic is OLD. A NEW topic should be started unless there is a very specific reason to revive this one.