Players retiring ???

Snappysnackcakes

4 minutes ago, BullBuchanan said:

Not many people who have the talent and drive to become 1st round picks have this kind of thinking. They are at the pinnacle of their profession and will never do anything else to this high of a level again. They worked their entire lives for this moment. Maybe if you're a 6th rounder like Myron Rolle who has an M.D. to fall back on, sure.

There are no guarantees in this world. ~8,000 people die a day in this country. Some of them are old people who die of natural causes, others like Ronnie Hillman die at 31 from renal cancer and plenty more don't make it nearly that far. You've gotta live your best life, and for guys like NFL players that isn't sitting on the couch waiting to die of old age.

After what everyone witnessed last night I feel every player in the NFL is questioning their career. IMHO.

• Like (+1) 1

2 minutes ago, wppete said:

After what everyone witnessed last night I feel every player in the NFL is questioning their career. IMHO.

And there would be thousands of players lining up to take their place. It's a bummer, but it's life. ***** happens.

Edited by BullBuchanan
  • Eyeroll 1
  • Agree 2

1 hour ago, Utah John said:

Would you stop driving your car just because you come across a crash scene?  Probably not.  Most players finish long careers with a variety of scars and healed broken bones, but very very few are disabled, and on the other end of the spectrum, some walk away without any damage at all.  Most guys probably figure they'll end up in the middle of the spectrum, having achieved their life's goal of playing for years in the NFL.

In addition the odds of dying in a car crash are 1 in 107. Much higher than in a football game. I don’t think those odds have caused people to stop driving/riding in cars. 

2 hours ago, Mr. WEO said:

He didn't retire after his first contract.  He got a new contract in his fifth year and played 4 years under that contract for a total of 8 seasons.

Thanks for that info.  He still could have figured, why push my ...errr...

• Like (+1) 1

8 hours ago, Not at the table Karlos said:

Wouldn't cross my mind. Things can happen anywhere at any time. When it's my time it's my time. Id rather something happen doing something I love and enjoying myself. 

i'd rather go doing something i hate, i want to be alive for the fun stuff.

• Like (+1) 1

10 hours ago, NoSaint said:

Probably not. 

they know it’s a dangerous game, and have seen guys paralyzed. I think the retirement talk is larger being a prisoner of the emotions of the moment- on Sunday they will be nfl players, and for many it’s everything they ever dreamed of, even knowing the risk. 

hell, the concussion stuff illustrates the need for outsiders to intervene and stop the players from hurting themselves 

Exactly.  Ryan Clark on SportsCenter last nite said the same thing.  Its all most of the players ever dreamed of doing with their lives.  Most of these guys are not Andrew Luck.  They are programmed to play football for as long as they possibly can.  My son just finished his 6th year playing college ball.  He said he played the most snaps of any d lineman in the country this season.  Some games he played 80+ plays.  He is a good solid player.  He maybe a low round draft pick.  Depending on how he does at his pro day.  He suffered a bad knee injury at the start of the 2019 season.  Came back from that in time for the 2020 season.  He suffered a bad ankle injury his Junior year in High School and missed most of that season.  But he came back to have a great senior high school season.  Fortunately, he had a healthy final college season accept for the normal bumps and bruises you get playing all those plays near the line of scrimmage.  He has his degree, and is a smart dude.  But his goal is to play in the NFL.  Its what he always has wanted to do, regardless of the risk.  I hope he gets to live out his dream.  It can make you nervous if you overthink it.  So I don't.  

5 hours ago, wppete said:

Probably not 

Ryan Clark said it best when he said this was a night NOBODY ever wanted to see… BUT EVERY player knew the day could come 

they all know the consequences 

how many people , amateur or pro , said they would give EVERYTHING to make it to the NFL or NHL etc? 

well Ryan Clark again said it perfectly…. Everything includes your life and Damar may have given his for his brothers 

he gave everything he had on that field … take a game off , take 2… but the way to honor him is to play for demar because he gave everything for the team

11 hours ago, Snappysnackcakes said:

If you’re that player who’s gotten at least one non-rookie contract, do you seriously consider hanging it up after watching what’s gone on this season with Tua and now Damar? (A few others, too)

Not many guys will do this, and I’m not claiming they should, but how can a fella not think about this when they self-evaluate after the season? Wives, parents, and, hopefully, agents need to have these conversations. We’re not at the same risk level as Bering Sea fishing, but it is not sustainable. 

Poyer? Dude, your body is breaking down. Micah? Walk away while you can. Mitch? Same. Saffold? Do you really need the extra $3mil? I could say something about half of our team alone. 

Guys may start really thinking about getting in and getting out with their health first and the wallet is just a bonus. 

Is this conversation too soon? Maybe. 

No. It's actually not that dangerous of a job when compared to other physical jobs, too. 

3 hours ago, klos63 said:

i'd rather go doing something i hate, i want to be alive for the fun stuff.

Especially early on. Like you show up traffic court and the line is around the block. You know you’re gonna be there for 4-5 hours minimum. 

You first get in line…bam….over with. 

• Like (+1) 1

Bering Sea fishermen fish

Bull riders ride bulls

Race car drivers race cars

Astronauts ride rockets into space

Football players play football

They all know what they signed up for, what can happen and why they do it.

Here sits my 56 year old rear behind my desk at my little job wishing I had done more 

Edited by bmur66

19 hours ago, Solomon Grundy said:

I'm asking because I don't understand how Tua is allowed back on a NFL field

His coach would had his team playing Monday night after what happened to Damar. 

13 hours ago, Utah John said:

Thanks for that info.  He still could have figured, why push my ...errr...

Luck was tired of rehabbing and it made him lose the love of the game. I’m sure that will happen for some guys, but the vast majority will continue to play 

I can see a player rethinking his career after watching Tua get concussed over and over.  Unfortunately, that's a real risk associated with football.

I don't understand why anybody would have a similar reaction to Hamlin's injury.  That was a freak accident that doesn't normally happen in this sport or any other sport.  Retiring from football because of Hamlin's injury is like giving up exercise because one of your coworkers fell of his bike and suffered a brain injury.  Actually, that would be less of an overreaction than the retirement thing.

• Agree 2

This topic is OLD. A NEW topic should be started unless there is a very specific reason to revive this one.