Damar Hamlin - Now (1/11/2023) discharged from Buf Gen & “recovering at home”

SDS

34 minutes ago, redtail hawk said:

SMH...you're wrong.  traumatic out of hospital cardiac arrest would be expected to be worse than non traumatic but regardless, ARDS occurs in a large proportion of post cardiac arrest patients.  Conclusion: "Nearly half of initial OHCA survivors develop ARDS within 48 h of hospital admission. ARDS was associated with poor outcome and increased resource utilization. OHCA should be considered among the traditional ARDS risk factors."  The inpatient study shows similar results.  Those patients would almost certainly have received CPR (ie trauma).  Being hit in the chest by an NFL player constitutes trauma as well.

You seem to be saying that you can better define ARDS than the authors and journal editors!   They likely had pulmonary artery pressures and LVEF measures from echos in many of these patients.   I guess you missed this sentence in the pubmed article "excluding patients with evidence of cardiac dysfunction." The paper would not have been published and would have been torn apart if they were likely to misdiagnose ARDS.  And the question remains:  Why was Hamlin placed in a prone position if he was felt to have cardiogenic pulmonary edema?  He wouldn't.  I could cite many more papers but there's no point.

Good post.  I would add there are multiple different mechanisms of injury that can occur with OHCA that causes ARDS.  I would venture to guess that aspiration is high on the list in addition to trauma from the CPR.  Typically a pulmonary contusion from CPR doesn't manifest itself as ARDS for a couple days while aspiration pneumonitis can develop in hours.  

• Like (+1) 2

20 hours ago, muppy said:

listen I know. I was scolded for saying this last night too. My posts are clear where my heart is. It is an observation Im allowed to have. It doesnt mean I care Less about #3

I owe you an apology. 

I did not mean to single you out by using your Quote. Of course you care about our #3.

When i said it's not about Us (with capital letter ) and added the Heart at the end I hoped it would be taken as meant and for all of Us to remain keep Damar in our thoughts and prayers 🧡.

Forgive me for making you feel uncomfortable or an blame directed towards you with my wording
Bless You Muppy and Us all during this time of Troubles 🧡

2 hours ago, Beast said:

Sean McDermott is someone we can all be proud to call our coach.

For sure about that !

Edited by 3rdand12
  • Like (+1) 1
  • Awesome! (+1) 1

5 hours ago, Mango said:

Taylor and McD have cemented their tenures in CIN/BUF for as long as they want to be there. 

I've often been critical of Coach McD. However, not once have I ever questioned his character. It doesn't surprise me one bit that he told Coach Taylor he needed to be with Damar. Coach McD has always been compassionate, consistent, and respectful of his players but as human beings first. The culture he has bought to Buffalo is absolutely representative of the people in and from Buffalo. I couldn't be anymore proud of Coach McD. Only thing missing is that Lombardi Trophy which i think the Bills will get soon. 

Get well Damar!🙏🙏🙏

Edited by newcam2012
  • Like (+1) 3

Knowing Damar is still purposefully sedated as they control his swelling on his chest and lungs, I have questions for those of you who are doctors and specifically neurologists.  Isn’ t it usual that they wait around 2-3 days and then do something like a CT scan to confirm effective brain activity before risking removing him from that sedation and all o2 to make sure he will handle it effectively ? Then probably an MRI looking for further organ impacts at a later time? I am asking this based on experiences I have had with family and friends in traumatic situations and assume any cessation of oxygen must require some evaluation of these factors. Interested in your feedback. 

Edited by Locomark

48 minutes ago, redtail hawk said:

SMH...you're wrong.  traumatic out of hospital cardiac arrest would be expected to be worse than non traumatic but regardless, ARDS occurs in a large proportion of post cardiac arrest patients.  Conclusion: "Nearly half of initial OHCA survivors develop ARDS within 48 h of hospital admission. ARDS was associated with poor outcome and increased resource utilization. OHCA should be considered among the traditional ARDS risk factors."  The inpatient study shows similar results.  Those patients would almost certainly have received CPR (ie trauma).  Being hit in the chest by an NFL player constitutes trauma as well.

You seem to be saying that you can better define ARDS than the authors and journal editors!   They likely had pulmonary artery pressures and LVEF measures from echos in many of these patients.   I guess you missed this sentence in the pubmed article "excluding patients with evidence of cardiac dysfunction." The paper would not have been published and would have been torn apart if they were likely to misdiagnose ARDS.  And the question remains:  Why was Hamlin placed in a prone position if he was felt to have cardiogenic pulmonary edema?  He wouldn't.  I could cite many more papers but there's no point.

The study included nontrauma patients.

The authors say "OHCA should be considered among the traditional ARDS risk factors"......  because most clinicians still do not consider it among the traditional risk factors.  Berlin Definition (last updated international definition)  requires "exposure to a known risk factor".  OHCA isn't currently one of them.  

The hit he took was enough to initiate commotio cordis.  It's unlikely to have been massive enough to cause immediate bilateral pulmonary contusions as seen, for example, in a high fall or high speed deceleration into a steering wheel.  

The prone report is still not confirmed.  It was by his uncle who had to retract the rest of that  "report".

25 minutes ago, Locomark said:

Knowing Damar is still purposefully sedated as they control his swelling on his chest and lungs, I have questions for those of you who are doctors and specifically neurologists.  Isn’ t it usual that they wait around 2-3 days and then do something like a CT scan to confirm effective brain activity before risking removing him from that sedation and all o2 to make sure he will handle it effectively ? Then probably an MRI looking for further organ impacts at a later time? I am asking this based on experiences I have had with family and friends in traumatic situations and assume any cessation of oxygen must require some evaluation of these factors. Interested in your feedback. 

Each situation is different and there is no specific time to assess brain function. CT and MRI are tools generally used more in stroke victims and not necessarily hypoxia cardiac arrest victims. In fact if all is going well they are typically awoken without the need for CT and MRI. Those imaging modalities are used if he was not recovering.  If indeed he had lung injury that might require prolonged ventilation they may keep him sedated purposely to make it easier for him on the vent. 

There are risks to CT scans mainly the IV contrast that can cause kidney issues. And MRI of someone on the vent is possible but it is a challenge. 

5 minutes ago, LOVEMESOMEBILLS said:

Sauce needs some help. #Respect 

EDIT: Also donated $5,000 to Hamlin's charity about an hour ago.

Just be aware he may not give it back based on his tendency to hold jerseys…..

Great gesture by a talented rookie :)

• Haha (+1) 9
  • Awesome! (+1) 2

18 minutes ago, Mr. WEO said:

The study included nontrauma patients.

The authors say "OHCA should be considered among the traditional ARDS risk factors"......  because most clinicians still do not consider it among the traditional risk factors.  Berlin Definition (last updated international definition)  requires "exposure to a known risk factor".  OHCA isn't currently one of them.  

The hit he took was enough to initiate commotio cordis.  It's unlikely to have been massive enough to cause immediate bilateral pulmonary contusions as seen, for example, in a high fall or high speed deceleration into a steering wheel.  

The prone report is still not confirmed.  It was by his uncle who had to retract the rest of that  "report".

Reading through all of the posts, but I still have a question for those of you more knowledgeable. Basically understanding the hit and possible commotio cordis, but after he fell it looked like he hit his head pretty hard. Could he have also suffered a concussion as well with the fall? What impact would this have on his body if both happened?

1 hour ago, 3rdand12 said:

I owe you an apology. 

I did not mean to single you out by using your Quote. Of course you care about our #3.

When i said it's not about Us (with capital letter ) and added the Heart at the end I hoped it would be taken as meant and for all of Us to remain keep Damar in our thoughts and prayers 🧡.

Forgive me for making you feel uncomfortable or an blame directed towards you with my wording
Bless You Muppy and Us all during this time of Troubles 🧡

For sure about that !

absolutely not. Apology unaccepted. Unnecessary!

💙

It was a very gentle rebuke. lol  very kind of you to receive above thanks 🙂

m

Edited by muppy
  • Like (+1) 2
  • Thank you (+1) 1

8 minutes ago, LyndonvilleBill said:

Reading through all of the posts, but I still have a question for those of you more knowledgeable. Basically understanding the hit and possible commotio cordis, but after he fell it looked like he hit his head pretty hard. Could he have also suffered a concussion as well with the fall? What impact would this have on his body if both happened?

Very good question…

• Agree 1

7 minutes ago, LyndonvilleBill said:

I thought initially it may have been a concussion that made him fall, and a second one was possible during the fall.

Obv bigger concerns now but his head snapping back after fall reminded me of both Tua concussions

53 minutes ago, YoloinOhio said:

Big respect for Burrow's behavior throughout the whole situation as well.  One of the things Taylor said is that when he decided to go to the visitor's locker room to talk to Sean McDermott, the Bengals captains approached him and said they wanted to go talk to the Bills captains.  He wasn't sure it was the right thing to do, but he passed the request to Sean McDermott.  Once he saw the two groups together he said he knew immediately it was the right thing to do.

They both (Burrow and Taylor) come across as true Leaders of Men.

• Like (+1) 5
  • Awesome! (+1) 1

6 hours ago, Cotton Fitzsimmons said:

Fantastic work! I haven't been able to bring myself to post, since I sat in front of the TV Monday night in stunned silence. I still feel unbelievably numb over this whole tragedy. Like all of us, I'm just hoping to get more good news about Damar today. This video sums up the feelings and puts things into a perspective that I am sure so many of us have. Thanks for making this!

Thx u!! My channel isn't necessarily an NFL channel bur had to cover this topic since it hit so close to home just like I know it has so many. 🙏

5 hours ago, FrenchConnection said:

I'm sure that we'll get updates when they have something to report. Right now, they have very little to report.

I think Yolo's meaning was that the hospital and its staff need to tread very carefully about releasing medical information about Damar Hamlin's condition.  Privacy of personal health care information from unauthorized release by physicians, hospitals etc is one of the things HIPAA actually DOES prohibit.

The hospital staff updates Damar's family and anyone else he's previously authorized (team rep maybe).  Then they decide what information to release and when

33 minutes ago, FrenchConnection said:

message from the American Heart Association urging people to take CPR classes.

I said that in a previous post but I'm just reiterating this point. It's a skill that is great to have and you never know when you'll have to use it. You can save someone's life.

• Like (+1) 1

This topic is OLD. A NEW topic should be started unless there is a very specific reason to revive this one.