Chiefs flexed to Saturday (Jags-Titans too)

Process

2 minutes ago, chongli said:

If SEA wins earlier in the day against the Rams, then DET has no motivation as they are out. It would be either GB or SEA for the 7th seed, as even if DET won on SNF, they would lose to SEA in the head-to-head.

For GB it's a win and in scenario. GB is one of the league's "darling" franchises. The Packers are playing well, and Rodgers is still one of the league's most popular players. I could see the Lions vs Packers as a good bet for SNF.

• Like (+1) 1

2 minutes ago, Turbo44 said:

Correct - even if the game doesn’t mean anything ton buffalo, NE with a win and in would be a big storyline. Plus if we lose tonight we could still be playing for the 1 or 2 seed of kc/cinci lose or if cinci loses

It is unlikely. As I posted above, the NFL could have announced NE-BUF last night, but decided to wait until after MNF tonight to decide if it is BAL-CIN or DET-GB for game number 272 on SNF.

• Like (+1) 1

19 minutes ago, Brit said:

The game starts at 2 am here, so that's fun...

Brit:

I could actually handle that as when in medical device sales for years there were sometimes cases three hours away where I’d have to vendor check in for the OR at 6:30 am, and I’m dumb enough to get on the treadmill at 2am to get something done, and not get home after work until maybe 8 pm.

For my lifestyle, I can get to bed early and get up ungodly early without a problem as I’m a morning guy.  I hear what you’re saying though for most people it would suck to watch the Bills at 2 am.  The other part I love about the afternoon games is I have a fun watering hole with a group of guys and some gals.  The games are more fun busting each others chops, flirting with some of the girls and everyone are fans of different teams.  It’s just not as much fun as I watch the night games at home.

3 minutes ago, Greg S said:

For GB it's a win and in scenario. GB is one of the league's "darling" franchises. The Packers are playing well, and Rodgers is still one of the league's most popular players. I could see the Lions vs Packers as a good bet for SNF.

Even better if SEA would lose earlier in the day. Then it is win and in for both DET and GB. But the NFL would be taking a big chance. I still think it woud be BAL-CIN if the Bills win tonight, as then that game is guaranteed to be for the division with the AFC defending champs vs. Lamar, a former MVP.

• Like (+1) 1

39 minutes ago, MAJBobby said:

COOL. WIN TONIGHT. 

GO RAIDERS

BILLS SIT STARTERS. 

If this happens, I still think our starters would still have to play at least a half against the Patriots. If we get a first round bye, you don't want 2 weeks worth of starters not playing. At least a half keeps them fresh and a first round bye would be just like a regular bye, instead of chancing rust coming out of 2 consecutive byes

• Like (+1) 1
  • Agree 1

2 minutes ago, chongli said:

Even better if SEA would lose earlier in the day. Then it is win and in for both DET and GB. But the NFL would be taking a big chance. I still think it woud be BAL-CIN if the Bills win tonight, as then that game is guaranteed to be for the division with the AFC defending champs vs. Lamar, a former MVP.

You are probably right. If the North is up for grabs, then that should be the game for SNF.

• Like (+1) 1

58 minutes ago, MAJBobby said:

COOL. WIN TONIGHT. 

GO RAIDERS

BILLS SIT STARTERS. 

Why sit starters when we need to win at all costs and can rest the team with the #1 seed.

The Raiders won’t beat the Chiefs even though the Chiefs have won poorly the last few games against bad teams, but they still keep winning.

Besides I take great pleasure in watching us demoralize Cheatriots fans with no punt games.

I agree with the win tonight and I’d only want to sit banged up starters in the 2nd half if we are up by 21 and humming into the 3rd quarter.

Edited by machine gun kelly

8 minutes ago, machine gun kelly said:

Why sit starters when we need to win at all costs and can rest the team with the #1 seed.

The Raiders won’t beat the Chiefs even though the Chiefs have won poorly the last few games against bad teams, but they still keep winning.

Besides I take great pleasure in watching us demoralize Cheatriots fans with no punt games.

I agree with the win tonight and I’d only want to sit banged up starters in the 2nd half if we are up by 21 and humming into the 3rd quarter.

You are probably right but if the Raiders can play like they did yesterday then it will be a tough game for the Chiefs.

• Like (+1) 1

47 minutes ago, chongli said:

If SEA wins earlier in the day against the Rams, then DET has no motivation as they are out. It would be either GB or SEA for the 7th seed, as even if DET won on SNF, they would lose to SEA in the head-to-head.

Yes, but you don’t think Campbell and Detroit wouldn’t be itching to know GB out of the Playoffs.  I actually don’t think it impacts that game very much - I think Detroit - even if eliminated- would want to do everything to eliminate GB and may actually be more aggressive since they have nothing to lose.

• Like (+1) 2

22 minutes ago, machine gun kelly said:

Raiders win Sat. gives the Bills the chance to Sit Starters Sunday. That is why I posted what I posted because NE game is meaningless at that point. 

10 hours ago, Process said:

Nah no way IMO. As mentioned, Bills could have the 1 seed locked up before the game. They wouldn't put that on SNF. 

8 hours ago, Malazan said:

You'd still have NE playoff implications. 

Think if the Bills were to lose tonight, then no reason to show Bengals-Ravens Sunday night as AFC North sewed up plus if KC wins Saturday #1 seed locked up.  Then maybe slightly better chance Bills game is Sunday night only for NE angle but still wouldn't rate it high.

• Like (+1) 1

1 hour ago, Rochesterfan said:

Yes, but you don’t think Campbell and Detroit wouldn’t be itching to know GB out of the Playoffs.  I actually don’t think it impacts that game very much - I think Detroit - even if eliminated- would want to do everything to eliminate GB and may actually be more aggressive since they have nothing to lose.

Yes, Detroit is going to want to win regardless, even if it for next year. And the prospect of Rodgers going for a playoff spot is TV gold. But not so much if their opponent gets eliminated an hour before the game. This might not be a risk worth taking. It is probably better reserved for the FOX late game alongside Seattle. Something held the NFL back from placing DET/GB on SNF last night. Is there enough national interest in the Lions right now?

Edited by chongli

11 hours ago, Process said:

Pretty big deal. I'm very surprised they did this. Beat the Bengals and Raiders beat Chiefs and we clinch the 1 seed. Or if we lose tomorrow and KC wins, 3 seed is basically a lock. Either way we can rest starters. 

nice advantage for us, though the most likely scenario is both us and the chiefs win and this won't matter.

I don't foresee any scenario where the Bills will rest starters.

1 minute ago, boater said:

I don't foresee any scenario where the Bills will rest starters.

What if the Bills win tonight and KC loses on Saturday. That will clinch the #1 seed. I don't think the Bills will rest their starters completely, but I could see them only playing a series or two if the #1 seed is clinched by next Saturday.

I think we can still play for 2 seed with a loss which may be a reason to play starters to lock up another W. But would need some help hoping Baltimore beats Cinci.  Two games at home seems pretty attractive as opposed to having to win 2 road games. 

Edited by loveorhatembillsfan4life

Some interesting tidbits from Peter King's FMIA column today:

https://profootballtalk.nbcsports.com/2023/01/02/daniel-jones-giants-steelers-packers-peter-king-fmia-week-17/

"But the NFL clearly sees the weirdness of this year’s division title game. Tennessee is on a six-game losing streak and could be playing a third-string quarterback at a red-hot team that’s won four straight with a quarterback, Trevor Lawrence, who’s on fire. Not exactly the game you want to showcase in the final primetime window of the regular year."

So, TEN-JAX really never had a chance for SNF. They still get a primetime slot, but on Saturday. 

"You might ask, Why KC-Vegas for the first game? Three reasons: Kansas City (13-3) needs to win to stay in play for the AFC’s top seed, Patrick Mahomes is always a ratings draw, and the Raiders (6-10), though eliminated from the playoffs, showed off an incredible performance by Jarrett Stidham in his first NFL start Sunday. The game should get a good rating."

Plus, the NFL wanted to make it up to ESPN/ABC since they stuck them with TEN-JAX.

"Game 272. Although I’d make the argument that Detroit-Green Bay is far and away the best candidate for the Sunday night finale, the NFL may wait till the conclusion of Bills-Bengals to set the Sunday schedule. After Baltimore (10-6) lost to Pittsburgh Sunday night, it would take a Cincinnati (11-4) loss tonight for the Ravens-at-Bengals game next Sunday to be for the AFC North crown. The problem in that scenario is that both teams are already in the playoffs, so the game would be played only for playoff seeding.

My gut feeling is the NFL will still play Rodgers in primetime in a win-and-in Sunday game. Why wouldn’t the league do that? If the Seahawks beat the Rams in Seattle next weekend, Detroit would be eliminated. I would maintain Rodgers playing to put Green Bay in the playoffs is the single biggest story of Week 18, and Dan Campbell’s kneecap-biters would not lay down even if they’d been eliminated a half-hour before the game. It’s the most intriguing competitive game of the weekend."

Plus, it could be Rodgers's farewell.

Edited by chongli

12 hours ago, Process said:

Giants are locked into the 6 seed and have nothing to play for. 

I'm shocked they didn't put the jags game Sunday night. 

NFL probably hoping for a bills win tomorrow so they can put Baltimore Cincinnati on SNF. 

Hey, if the NFL wants to put its thumb on the scale to get what it wants for next Sunday, that's OK with me.

2 hours ago, Greg S said:

What if the Bills win tonight and KC loses on Saturday. That will clinch the #1 seed. I don't think the Bills will rest their starters completely, but I could see them only playing a series or two if the #1 seed is clinched by next Saturday.

I will give you that one.

Though, the Raiders beating the Chiefs seems highly unlikely. That game will surely be my Saturday night activity.

1 minute ago, boater said:

I will give you that one.

Though, the Raiders beating the Chiefs seems highly unlikely. That game will surely be my Saturday night activity.

They almost beat SF. The Chiefs probably will win but this is a rivalry game. If the Raiders can play like they did yesterday, then the Chiefs will be in for a tough game.

This topic is OLD. A NEW topic should be started unless there is a very specific reason to revive this one.