Step Aside Danny Boy (171) - Most TD's in the first 5 years is now Josh Allen (174 and counting).

johnk

25 minutes ago, AlfaBill said:

I don’t get these random milestones. Why 5 years? You can make a record for anything really. Like most past attempts over the course of 40 games. Who really cares? 

True. Wonder where Allen ranked after 2, 3 and 4 seasons. I think of note though is that Allen is currently on a trajectory to score the most total TD's in NFL history right? Of course, a million things can happen along the way but none the less as of right now, he's still on pace to hold the top spot after seasons 6, 7, 8, 9, 10 etc. 

• Awesome! (+1) 1

5 hours ago, Sammy Watkins' Rib said:

True. Wonder where Allen ranked after 2, 3 and 4 seasons. I think of note though is that Allen is currently on a trajectory to score the most total TD's in NFL history right? Of course, a million things can happen along the way but none the less as of right now, he's still on pace to hold the top spot after seasons 6, 7, 8, 9, 10 etc. 

Just to give a sense of the difference:

Mahomes in his 78 games (5+ seasons) has a total of 188 Passing TD and 12 Rushing TDs.  (Total: 200)

Josh in his  76 games (5th season)  has a total of 135 Passing TD and 45 Rushing TDs.  (Total: 200)

Comparing by the number of games played (rather than seasons) gives a better perspective of where they are in their career.  They are two different players that know to win in their own ways.

7 hours ago, BillsVet said:

It's still missing that both QB performed in vastly different eras.  It's like the people who look down and see MLB'ers who hit 500 homers in the 50s/60s and compare that to the juiced era.  As if there's no difference.   

Marino was doing this when people had backs running the ball 350+ times a season, defenders could destroy QBs and WR's, and teams generally didn't throw the ball like they do now.      

Now, the rules favor the passing offense and no one dares hit a QB.  We've seen how that gets flagged and PI is called far differently than it was in the mid-80s.  Ergo, passing records are easier.  

The other thing is, all of this is just symbolism over substance.  I doubt Josh is concerned with this "record" or that he's been QB for the AFCE winner these last 3 seasons after the franchise drought going back into the mid-90s.  It's a fan specific thing to highlight.  Means basically nothing.

Just wanna point out that in the Dan Marino offenses, the running game was an afterthought it was built around Dan Marino, passing the ball

Unless Burrow or Herbert have the two best years of their career the next two years this record might stand for some time.  What Marino did his first five seasons is incredible though given the era he played in.  I love Jim Kelly but draft Marino instead of him in '83 we'd be looking at multiple Super Bowl titles.

• Like (+1) 1

15 hours ago, arcane said:

This stat is a bit misleading, Mahomes would own the record handily if they didn't count 2018 as one full year for him because he got some mop up duty in the last week of the season 

2017*

It’s not misleading at all.  Josh had the challenge of starting his rookie season and Mahomes didn’t.

16 hours ago, arcane said:

This stat is a bit misleading, Mahomes would own the record handily if they didn't count 2018 as one full year for him because he got some mop up duty in the last week of the season 

2017*

Yet when commentators point to Mahomes better percentages--completion, yards per game, etc.--to argue he's better than Allen, they rarely note that he sat on the bench is rookie year instead of learning on the job, which is what Allen was doing his rookie year. No, Allen's accomplishment is impressive. Funny it's not getting any attention.

• Agree 1

2 hours ago, ganesh said:

Just to give a sense of the difference:

Mahomes in his 78 games (5+ seasons) has a total of 188 Passing TD and 12 Rushing TDs.  (Total: 200)

Josh in his  76 games (5th season)  has a total of 135 Passing TD and 45 Rushing TDs.  (Total: 200)

Comparing by the number of games played (rather than seasons) gives a better perspective of where they are in their career.  They are two different players that know to win in their own ways.

Who taught you how to math?

135+45=200? 😝

• Awesome! (+1) 1

18 hours ago, arcane said:

2017*

I still remember the reports out of 2018 Training Camp that Mahomes couldn't hit the broadside of a barn and kept throwing so many INTs in practice.

Then the season hit and he was an animal.

1 hour ago, The Wiz said:

135+45=200? 😝

Got overly excited !!!!  Wanted to say there was a difference of 20 TDs....but in that excitement wrote down 200....

1 hour ago, finn said:

Yet when commentators point to Mahomes better percentages--completion, yards per game, etc.--to argue he's better than Allen, they rarely note that he sat on the bench is rookie year instead of learning on the job, which is what Allen was doing his rookie year. No, Allen's accomplishment is impressive. Funny it's not getting any attention.

I mean it is not Mahome's fault that he did not get a chance to play his first season.   Both QBs have been impressive in their own ways.  Now they need to go win multiple Super Bowls to show case that they are the best QBs of this era (possibly along with Burrow and Herbert)

• Haha (+1) 1

13 hours ago, AlfaBill said:

I don’t get these random milestones. Why 5 years? You can make a record for anything really. Like most past attempts over the course of 40 games. Who really cares? 

Just nuggets for fans to chew on. NFL thrives on hype. It is a business after all. We tend to think of milestones a lot in 5 years , 10 years etc so not that unusual. A record for the first 6 seasons sounds odd.  It’ also includes the first years of an NFL players development at a difficult position to transition to from college ball.  It probably takes five years to know if your drafted QB is good or it’s time to move on. That’s why there’s a fifth year option for first round picks. Anyway, at the game’s key position it’s a remarkable number to achieve in the first 5 years. That you have to go back to Marino , who had a rookie campaign  for the ages says a lot. 

• Like (+1) 1

10 hours ago, ganesh said:

Got overly excited !!!!  Wanted to say there was a difference of 20 TDs....but in that excitement wrote down 200....

11 hours ago, The Wiz said:

135+45=200? 😝

Also there's a missing receiving td in that equation. Josh caught a td in the Hail Murray game.🤮 Great now look at what you made me do. I just threw up a little in my mouth!😂

EDIT: Also Josh's rushing tds total is 38 not 45. His longest run is 45 yards. I think there’s some common core math going on here.😂

Edited by LOVEMESOMEBILLS
  • Haha (+1) 1

9 minutes ago, LOVEMESOMEBILLS said:

Also there's a missing receiving td in that equation. Josh caught a td in the Hail Murray game.🤮 Great now look at what you made me do. I just threw up a little in my mouth!😂

EDIT: Also Josh's rushing tds total is 38 not 45. His longest run is 45 yards. I think there’s some common core math going on here.😂

Josh allen threw 3 TDs.  he completed 3 of 45 passes.

Common core math says that he was 100% efficient.  

• Like (+1) 1
  • Haha (+1) 1

On 12/26/2022 at 3:02 PM, arcane said:

2017*

Okay then don't count Josh's first year when he was just learning too lol

Of course they count if Mahomes was ready to play he would have started, he didn't because he wasn't 

• Like (+1) 1

29 minutes ago, LOVEMESOMEBILLS said:

It is more like (mis)reading of ESPN stats !.   Thanks for pointing that out.  

This topic is OLD. A NEW topic should be started unless there is a very specific reason to revive this one.