Baker Mayfield: QBing not so hard with competent head coach

Punching Bag

15 minutes ago, Donuts and Doritos said:

Wait! Back up the bus. Given his very up & down career, gonna need a larger sample size than 1 game, against a bad team, before anointing Baker the long term answer at QB anywhere. (Chargers up next, let's see how that goes, for a start, then work out way toward consistent good play).

13 minutes ago, Sierra Foothills said:

One game sample size?

Mayfield has played 3 games with the Rams and is 2-1.

7 minutes ago, Donuts and Doritos said:

Yep. Last game lost to GB was 12 of 21 (57%) a whopping 111 yds 1 TD, 1 Pick & 67.8 QBR. Hardly inspiring. So bad last week, good this week. Needs to show more consistency.

In his 3 games (with just 18 hours and 1 walk-through practice before the first game) Mayfield has completed 69% of his passes with 4 TDs and 1 INT for a 98.9 passer rating. Statistically he's been one of the best QBs in the league since parachuting into Los Angeles.

3 hours ago, MarkyMannn said:

To me Mayfield has been good when put in a position to succeed. Unfortunately that's been rare for him. Wish him the best.

Kind of like being a Jets QB. You're screwed no matter who you are

Well except this year. Wilson is the ONLY major hole on a rather good team.. That D may be the best in the AFC. 

2 hours ago, PromoTheRobot said:

Playing a terrible demoralized team helps a lot. Baker didn't look like that against Green Bay. 

He also was with the Rams for like a hot minute before he played against them.  Have to give him credit for playing well against a decent team when he barely knows the playbook. 

• Agree 1

23 minutes ago, Sierra Foothills said:

In his 3 games (with just 18 hours and 1 walk-through practice before the first game) Mayfield has completed 69% of his passes with 4 TDs and 1 INT for a 98.9 passer rating. Statistically he's been one of the best QBs in the league since parachuting into Los Angeles.

He's historically inconsistent. He was not good last week. He was good this week (this week definitely inflates that 3 game stat line). I don't think 3 games is enough of a sample size to say he's going to break out in LA or be a bust there. (though history, 3 team changes in a year, isn't on his side). But we'll see how he does going forward. Chargers are next, that's a better team than the 3 he's faced for LA so far. 

Edited by Donuts and Doritos

25 minutes ago, PetermansRedemption said:

I think the Rams would do well to keep him. They won’t have a shot at a good QB in the draft. But I’m not sure Baker will want to stick around if he knows Stafford is returning to be the de facto starter (even though he was terrible when starting this season). Lots of QB needy teams this off season. Indianapolis, New England, New York, Tampa Bay, New Orleans, Houston, Denver (I can’t see them committing to starting Russ another year). 

NE — Will hopefully hire a real OC like Bill O Brian and find out once and for all of Jones is good or not.

Denver — They backed up the armored car filled to the top with cash for Wilson so he will get year 2 at least.

Indy — Needs an O line and WR, he be dumb go there. 

Houston — Will draft the QB first overall. 

NO — they could be a fit but are definitely on the downward trend.

Jets — Make the most sense. An elite D with a strong running game and good WR who all they need is a game manager QB who doesn’t mess it up.. They could’ve challenge the Bills with a competent QB like maybe Mayfield.

4 hours ago, Roy Hobbs said:

Competent doesn't mean great but he will have offers for 2023. 

It almost seems as if he's a better match for the Rams' offensive system than Stafford.  If I were Sean McVay, I'd think long and hard about signing Mayfield long term and cutting bait on Stafford.  

• Like (+1) 1

Mayfield on the Rams is the same as Mayfield on the Browns and Panthers - very, very inconsistent.

Against the Raiders (admittedly 1st game) he struggled early and finally made plays on the last drive while putting up under 20 points.

The Packers game against a team that was still trying - he stunk - around 50% completion and barely over 10 points.

Denver clearly gave up - especially when Wilson started throwing picks like Christmas gifts out there.  Mayfield looked phenomenal, but Denver never showed up.

Just like his 2 previous stops - he has a game or small parts of games that he looks good and parts of games or even full games that he is barely back-up level competent.

Some team (I doubt the Rams with Stafford under his huge contract and stating he is coming back) will be fooled by the talent and will sign him and get a few games where they are excited and then crash back down when suddenly he has 3 games where he looks like A rookie QB.

Mayfield with McVay looks just like Mayfield under Rhule, Wilks, etc.

• Like (+1) 2

8 hours ago, BigAl2526 said:

It almost seems as if he's a better match for the Rams' offensive system than Stafford.  If I were Sean McVay, I'd think long and hard about signing Mayfield long term and cutting bait on Stafford.  

Let's not get too excited about Baker - he beat a bad Vegas team and a horrible, demoralized Broncos team. IMO, he will be moving on.

• Like (+1) 1

As soon as he’s around the team long enough to actually have to learn a gameplan and think his way through a game, he’ll regress. 

He had plenty of talent around him in Cleveland and McVay is proving that even boy geniuses need talent. Talent and coaching aren’t the issue.  I don’t wish him ill, but he is what he is.  I believe Beane would have taken Josh even if Baker had been on the board. 

• Like (+1) 1

9 hours ago, PatsFanNH said:

NE — Will hopefully hire a real OC like Bill O Brian and find out once and for all of Jones is good or not.

Denver — They backed up the armored car filled to the top with cash for Wilson so he will get year 2 at least.

Jets — Make the most sense. An elite D with a strong running game and good WR who all they need is a game manager QB who doesn’t mess it up.. They could’ve challenge the Bills with a competent QB like maybe Mayfield.

At this point, a “real” OC would probably ask for a new QB before agreeing to come. 

9 hours ago, BigAl2526 said:

It would be a tough move w his contract, but technically doable, especially with a little restructuring and a post June 1 designation. He has a lot of option money coming on that deal, not that Mayfield is any guarantee, but with what Stafford has shown, it might be best to give Baker a decent signing bonus and low salaries for 23 and 24, let the hit happen on Stafford and be free of him.

5 hours ago, 4merper4mer said:

Wanna spoiler alert?

lol sure! I mean I know the rumor is O’Brian be coming in and implementing an Alabama type O which would give Jones the best chance to succeed. Did you hear different?

11 hours ago, BRH said:

At this point, a “real” OC would probably ask for a new QB before agreeing to come. 

Maybe but he showed some flashes with McDaniels who I think  would love to have him over Carr.

5 minutes ago, PatsFanNH said:

lol sure! I mean I know the rumor is O’Brian be coming in and implementing an Alabama type O which would give Jones the best chance to succeed. Did you hear different?

The spoiler alert is that Mac Jones is not the answer, O’Brien or no O’Brien.  He is weak armed and whiny.  .  I think the other kid, although still a bit of an unknown, has a much better chance than Mac.

4 minutes ago, 4merper4mer said:

The spoiler alert is that Mac Jones is not the answer, O’Brien or no O’Brien.  He is weak armed and whiny.  .  I think the other kid, although still a bit of an unknown, has a much better chance than Mac.

Lol no he is to dang small! That’s all the Bears did in that game was deflect pass after pass of his.  Your spoiler is based off of incomplete information.  I want see him with hopefully O’Brian where there are no excuses for bad play by him.  

30 minutes ago, PatsFanNH said:

Maybe but he showed some flashes with McDaniels who I think  would love to have him over Carr.

Derek Carr is not Josh McDaniels’ biggest problem, and if he really preferred Mac over Carr he would have stayed in NE so he could have have him when BB finally retires.  

22 hours ago, PatsFanNH said:

Here’s all you need to know about Mac. He’s a whiny, noodle arm, dirty little ***** who belongs on one nfl team only. The Pats*

49 minutes ago, BRH said:

Derek Carr is not Josh McDaniels’ biggest problem, and if he really preferred Mac over Carr he would have stayed in NE so he could have have him when BB finally retires.  

Lmao then you don’t understand how being a head coach is better than being an OC. 

So last week we had the Baker Mayfield “up” game and this week he was back “down”.

I don’t know where he will end up or if he stays in LA, but my god is the man inconsistent.

Barely over 100 yards in the SOFI “dome” and barely over 50% completions.

He is the same player in LA - he was in Cleveland and Carolina - fine when ahead and below average when the game is on his shoulders.

7 minutes ago, Rochesterfan said:

So last week we had the Baker Mayfield “up” game and this week he was back “down”.

I don’t know where he will end up or if he stays in LA, but my god is the man inconsistent.

Barely over 100 yards in the SOFI “dome” and barely over 50% completions.

He is the same player in LA - he was in Cleveland and Carolina - fine when ahead and below average when the game is on his shoulders.

As much I agree completely with what you are saying, he’s in a really tough spot to expect much from him.  He’s got very little to work with out there and very little time in the system as a whole.   I think he could actually be everything Stafford was for them last year, which isn’t saying a ton, but he could start and do pretty well in that system.  He’s streaky, that’s certain, but I think their best shot is to ditch Stafford, eat the dead cap and let Baker play on a prove it deal.

10 hours ago, DCofNC said:

As much I agree completely with what you are saying, he’s in a really tough spot to expect much from him.  He’s got very little to work with out there and very little time in the system as a whole.   I think he could actually be everything Stafford was for them last year, which isn’t saying a ton, but he could start and do pretty well in that system.  He’s streaky, that’s certain, but I think their best shot is to ditch Stafford, eat the dead cap and let Baker play on a prove it deal.

The original thread started out talking about how much better Mayfield looked with a competent HC and I just do not see a difference overall between Baker in LA and Baker at each of his other stops.

Yes - it has been 100% a tough spot for him coming in mid season, but for most of the Raider game he looked unimpressive until the last drive and then got tons of credit for leading an impressive last drive on 4 days practice.  Game 2 he was bad and again it was he is still learning.  Game 3 versus Denver - he looked like an MVP candidate (significantly better than Mahomes) against a good defensive team, but Denver appeared to give up on that game early.  Game 4 versus the Chargers he once again looked like a below average QB against a team that had something to play for.

I guess in my mind - I would be very hesitant to assume with better coaching you are getting a better Mayfield.  Depending on the injury to Stafford - Mayfield to me is a major step down from 2021 and before Stafford and is on par with injured 2022 Stafford.

I also think you have built the Rams with WR talent that Stafford uses, but Baker is more a TE thrower - which was a big part of why OBJ had issues in Cleveland.  I think sticking with Mayfield drives OBJ away from the Rams and back towards an east coast team.

We will see how it goes and I am sure they would love to keep Mayfield, but I am not sure that a prove it deal gets it done there and I am not sure he is a great fit for the McVay offense long term.

• Like (+1) 1

8 hours ago, Rochesterfan said:

The original thread started out talking about how much better Mayfield looked with a competent HC and I just do not see a difference overall between Baker in LA and Baker at each of his other stops.

Yes - it has been 100% a tough spot for him coming in mid season, but for most of the Raider game he looked unimpressive until the last drive and then got tons of credit for leading an impressive last drive on 4 days practice.  Game 2 he was bad and again it was he is still learning.  Game 3 versus Denver - he looked like an MVP candidate (significantly better than Mahomes) against a good defensive team, but Denver appeared to give up on that game early.  Game 4 versus the Chargers he once again looked like a below average QB against a team that had something to play for.

I guess in my mind - I would be very hesitant to assume with better coaching you are getting a better Mayfield.  Depending on the injury to Stafford - Mayfield to me is a major step down from 2021 and before Stafford and is on par with injured 2022 Stafford.

I also think you have built the Rams with WR talent that Stafford uses, but Baker is more a TE thrower - which was a big part of why OBJ had issues in Cleveland.  I think sticking with Mayfield drives OBJ away from the Rams and back towards an east coast team.

We will see how it goes and I am sure they would love to keep Mayfield, but I am not sure that a prove it deal gets it done there and I am not sure he is a great fit for the McVay offense long term.

I do see what you are saying there.  I don’t disagree with you on any of what you are saying.  I think we are looking at things a bit  differently, you are looking at the player and you are right on, I’m focused on the situation.  I see 3 things about him in LA that stick out to me and it’s not necessarily anything to do with him.

1) McVay seems to like him and I think he can get the best of what he does, also I don’t see the current WRs he has as being game breaking outside guys, they all really belong as super high end slot guys, meaning I think that’s exactly where Mayfield can thrive.  Look back at Jarvis Landry vs OBJ in CLE. 

2) Stafford has been on a steep decline for the last few years, the numbers may not show it as much, but he’s not what he was. Kupp made him look much better than he is, much like Megatron did.  They will regret holding out hope for him to return to 2017 form. 

3) Like him or hate him, Baker has talent.  Consistency is not something anybody would accuse him of.  I question how long it will take LA to get anybody in there that would be as talented (granted he’s flawed), as Mayfield. 

On 12/26/2022 at 8:21 PM, PatsFanNH said:

Lol no he is to dang small! That’s all the Bears did in that game was deflect pass after pass of his.  Your spoiler is based off of incomplete information.  I want see him with hopefully O’Brian where there are no excuses for bad play by him.  

He is able to give you a spoiler alert because while you were able to live in glory with Tom Brady, our team has gone through the likes of Trent Edwards, Lossman, Taylor, Fitzpatrick, etc, etc, etc.  We have seen it.  Trust me, Mac Jones is nothing more than a middling QB that will keep your team in purgatory.  Your team will always be bad enough to either just miss the playoffs or be one and done with a lucky wildcard birth and good enough that they dont get good enough draft picks to get better.

Bills fans have been there and lived through this.  We have made excuses for all our middling QBs.  If only we have a better head coach.  If only we had a good OC.  If only he didnt get that concussion.  If only we had a real WR.  If only we had a good Oline.  If only our D was good.  If only we didnt fumble that punt.  Its just excuses.  Your QB is who he is.  A decent QB but one thats never going to win you anything but more hope.

Your team is hanging on giving you hope with a great coach and good defense.  Its very likely that your team will never get better until they move on from Belichick, suck up some down years, and rebuild.  Otherwise this season and last season is what you are going to see every season.  I dont care who you get for OC.

The longer your team hangs on to BB, the longer you are going to be losers in this league.  He is too old and too proud to knock it down and do a true rebuild.  You arent going to find that once in a lifetime gem at QB in the 6th round ever again.  You arent ever going to have the right draft position to get a shot at a top QB.  Thats the reality.

Edited by Scott7975
  • Like (+1) 1

On 12/25/2022 at 10:58 PM, PatsFanNH said:

Mayfield's best plays are when he's able to roll out & make throws. Teams figured this out and try to contain him in the pocket. He's too short, and actually slow. Definitely has an NFL arm, but the throwing lanes are harder on the short QBs. 

The other thing that's an intangible is Mayfield's attitude. It's no secret he went away from the team doctors in Cleveland & found one to clear him to play through that shoulder injury. Ultimately, it damaged his career in Cleveland, as he lost the locker room. He could have been even more of a king in Cleveland than LeBron.

This topic is OLD. A NEW topic should be started unless there is a very specific reason to revive this one.