NFL rushing game without QB contributions

Beck Water

I did this after Game 13 but thought this was a good time to look at it again, what with our game with the Bears coming up. 

Details:

Where a team had more than one QB, I added them unless the contribution was negligible. 

Sort is for rush yards per game.

The Bills have the biggest change in rush yards per game when the QB contributions are subtracted - from 8th to 27th.

Second is Baltimore, followed by the Giant, Eagles and Cardinals.

The Bears of course do decrease, but only by 8 slots.  They have a strong rush game with and without their QB and we will need to plan accordingly.

Capture.GIF

Edited by Beck Water
  • Like (+1) 2
  • Thank you (+1) 3

Thanks for the post.

It's certainly an interesting discussion.

All it really seems to do, though, is illustrate with data what we already know to be true: Certain QBs are vital to their teams' rushing success.

The weird part to me is that with Jalen Hurts and Lamar Jackson and Justin Fields (and formerly with Cam Newton), the QB's rushing ability and the contributions of that ability to the offense overall are generally spoken of in reverent tones. It's considered an extra weapon that their offense possesses. A unique, dangerous way to attack opposing defenses that gets hyped up and makes highlight reels. 

By contrast, when Josh is a big part of the Bills' rushing success, it's considered by many -- both national analysts and Bills fans alike -- to be some kind of shortcoming. Something which needs to be "fixed". You hear a lot of "the Bills can't keep playing this way!" and "they can't depend on Josh to be their best runner!". But...why don't you hear that stuff about those other offenses? I've never heard anyone say the Ravens or Eagles need to rely less on their QBs' legs. I've never heard anyone speak about the fact that Lamar Jackson is the best runner on the Ravens as a BAD thing.

With other teams, it's this great virtue and dangerous threat. With the Bills, it's some sort of unsustainable liability. I don't get it.

Edited by Logic
  • Like (+1) 1
  • Awesome! (+1) 1

22 minutes ago, Albanybillsbacker said:

Rushing yards are rushing yards.  I don’t care who gets them.  Buffalos rushing game is fine.  They closed out the game with their running backs.  If the team couldn’t run to close out games I’d be more concerned.  That isn’t the case with this team. 

You will when Josh gets clocked and is out with an injury. I have no issues with him scrambling or an occassional designed run. But Dorsey is using him as much as Dabs. He might seem like Superman to us fans but he will get injured eventually. Shore up this pathetic OL and run Motor & Cook more.  Protect your #1 asset.

3 hours ago, LABILLBACKER said:

You will when Josh gets clocked and is out with an injury. I have no issues with him scrambling or an occassional designed run. But Dorsey is using him as much as Dabs. He might seem like Superman to us fans but he will get injured eventually. Shore up this pathetic OL and run Motor & Cook more.  Protect your #1 asset.

His only two injuries have come while in the pocket, not scrambling.  The myth that running QBs are more injury prone has been debunked by data time and time again. 

3 hours ago, LABILLBACKER said:

With how bad the pass blocking has been,  josh running the football is protecting him if anything.  Lots of rib injury/concussion injury potential when you’re taking a hard hit on a sack which is why the nfl has been so aggressive with enforcing roughing the passer rules.  

I never worry much about run yards total. It's more of a function of number of runs than anything else.

YPA shows better how good your run game is.

And the Bills, when you take Allen out of YPA go from 5.0 yards per carry to ... hang on a minute, checking your chart ... to 4.5 yards per carry.

Hunh!! Still good.

Edited by Thurman#1

2 hours ago, Albanybillsbacker said:

His only two injuries have come while in the pocket, not scrambling.  The myth that running QBs are more injury prone has been debunked by data time and time again. 

Again, no it hasn't.

The results of those studies are often mis-stated. They don't prove what the headlines generally claim that they prove.

6 hours ago, LABILLBACKER said:

I used to hold my breath when Josh would take off running and still wait anxiously for him to get up when he flies through the air and collides with the three guys trying to take his head off. Those kind of runs seem to happen now only when a play from him is needed at a critical time. He is very good at sliding or getting out of bounds when a Superman play is not necessary. In a lot of instances a running QB is no big deal if he isn't also a good passer. Josh is a great passer and a great runner with power and guts. It's truly like the Bills have 12 men on offense most times.

6 hours ago, Logic said:

Thanks for the post.

It's certainly an interesting discussion.

All it really seems to do, though, is illustrate with data what we already know to be true: Certain QBs are vital to their teams' rushing success.

The weird part to me is that with Jalen Hurts and Lamar Jackson and Justin Fields (and formerly with Cam Newton), the QB's rushing ability and the contributions of that ability to the offense overall are generally spoken of in reverent tones. It's considered an extra weapon that their offense possesses. A unique, dangerous way to attack opposing defenses that gets hyped up and makes highlight reels. 

By contrast, when Josh is a big part of the Bills' rushing success, it's considered by many -- both national analysts and Bills fans alike -- to be some kind of shortcoming. Something which needs to be "fixed". You hear a lot of "the Bills can't keep playing this way!" and "they can't depend on Josh to be their best runner!". But...why don't you hear that stuff about those other offenses? I've never heard anyone say the Ravens or Eagles need to rely less on their QBs' legs. I've never heard anyone speak about the fact that Lamar Jackson is the best runner on the Ravens as a BAD thing.

With other teams, it's this great virtue and dangerous threat. With the Bills, it's some sort of unsustainable liability. I don't get it.

Tbh, I think it’s more of a function of how good Allen can be under center, without having to run.

Jackson, Hurts and Fields, simply aren’t the same quality of all around passer that Allen is, and many would want to see a more effective running game that didn’t involve him so much.

They must be doing something right, they're the only offense in the league to rush for 100 yards in every game. They are also the only offense in the league to be top 8 in total yards(2nd), passing yards(5th), rushing yards(8th) and points per game(4th). We're a more  balanced offense than other teams.

As others have said it's not that they don't run the ball well, they simply choose passing the ball over running it. They have demonstrated on a few occasions that they can run the ball late in the game and chew up clock.

Singletary and Cook average a combined 4.6 yards a rush, which is better or equal to 5 out of the top 10 runners in the league. So plenty good enough for the playoffs.

This topic is OLD. A NEW topic should be started unless there is a very specific reason to revive this one.