The past 5 Super Bowl winners

gtw3

With so many people wanting to jump off of a cliff or burn it all to the ground after a mid-season, divisional, road loss, I thought I would TRY to provide a little bit of perspective and hope.

Looking into the past 5 Super Bowl winners, they all had points in their seasons where their fans likely assumed it was “a lost cause, all the players sucked, they were cursed and/or they probably should fire everyone.”

2021 Rams (12-5): Lost 3 games in a row (weeks 9-12 w/the bye in-between).  Got beaten by SF twice including a 31-10 loss in week 10 and a loss in the season finale.  

2020 Bucs (11-5): Lost 3 out of 4 mid-season (weeks 9-12) including a 38-3 thrashing by the Saints.  Brady, I’m sure, was washed up, Arians had no idea how to coach, it was a failed experiment and they all needed to be fired.

2019 Chiefs (12-4):  Lost 4 of 6 (Week5 – 10).  This was the season where Mahomes was injured and missed some time.  The initial fears on his injury were significant but he ended up only missing 2 games.  The Chiefs went 1-1 in those games.

2018 Pats (11-5): Lost 2 of their last 4.  Got stomped by Tennessee in week 10.  Lost in week 14 in Miami on that crazy last second lateral walk-off play.  They’d lose the next week against Pittsburgh to drop their record to 9-5.  Their worst record through 14 games since 2008.  I’m sure the sky definitely wasn’t falling in New England (sarcasm).

2017 Eagles (13-3):  They were fairly dominant throughout their regular season but lost Wentz in week 13 for the season. It was their second loss and dropped their record to 10-2.  I’m sure the Eagles fans felt cursed at the time.  Had a “why can’t we have nice things” mentality.   A sentimentality that I have seen expressed this week on this forum.

Point being, Super Bowl caliber teams still lose an occasional game.  Especially on the road against divisional rivals.

• Like (+1) 17
  • Agree 9
  • Awesome! (+1) 7
  • Thank you (+1) 9

15 minutes ago, gtw3 said:

With so many people wanting to jump off of a cliff or burn it all to the ground after a mid-season, divisional, road loss, I thought I would TRY to provide a little bit of perspective and hope.

Looking into the past 5 Super Bowl winners, they all had points in their seasons where their fans likely assumed it was “a lost cause, all the players sucked, they were cursed and/or they probably should fire everyone.”

2021 Rams (12-5): Lost 3 games in a row (weeks 9-12 w/the bye in-between).  Got beaten by SF twice including a 31-10 loss in week 10 and a loss in the season finale.  

2020 Bucs (11-5): Lost 3 out of 4 mid-season (weeks 9-12) including a 38-3 thrashing by the Saints.  Brady, I’m sure, was washed up, Arians had no idea how to coach, it was a failed experiment and they all needed to be fired.

2019 Chiefs (12-4):  Lost 4 of 6 (Week5 – 10).  This was the season where Mahomes was injured and missed some time.  The initial fears on his injury were significant but he ended up only missing 2 games.  The Chiefs went 1-1 in those games.

2018 Pats (11-5): Lost 2 of their last 4.  Got stomped by Tennessee in week 10.  Lost in week 14 in Miami on that crazy last second lateral walk-off play.  They’d lose the next week against Pittsburgh to drop their record to 9-5.  Their worst record through 14 games since 2008.  I’m sure the sky definitely wasn’t falling in New England (sarcasm).

2017 Eagles (13-3):  They were fairly dominant throughout their regular season but lost Wentz in week 13 for the season. It was their second loss and dropped their record to 10-2.  I’m sure the Eagles fans felt cursed at the time.  Had a “why can’t we have nice things” mentality.   A sentimentality that I have seen expressed this week on this forum.

Point being, Super Bowl caliber teams still lose an occasional game.  Especially on the road against divisional rivals.

Thank you for bringing some logic and sanity to this board.

We can now come on off the ledge.

Good job.

• Like (+1) 6
  • Agree 2

Like many other positive posts this is very spot on. The way people overreact to one loss or some stretch of worse games is fascinating.

People probably don't remember but we didn't have many good games last regular season. Lots of losses, lots of wins despite less than optimal play (Allen was 11/26 with 120 yards and 3 INT vs Falcons), and yet we crushed Patriots when it counted and were very close to beating Chiefs on the road (and would be favorites to win it all had we won that game).

We are 6-2. We have beaten Chiefs, Ravens and Titans, 2 of them on the road.

Now we had one really bad half with lots of injuries against very good D and people went crazy.

It's not about the Bills, it's about people's expectations.

To put it in other way - if we now suck and are not an SB team, then who is? Chiefs, who we had beaten on the road, who lost to Colts and were almost beaten by truly one-dimensional Titans, who we crushed before? 6-3 Ravens who we beat on the road, and who collapsed from another 17+ lead against Dolphins at home? Dolphins, who needed half of our team dead to pull 2 point win against us at home? Jets? Titans?

All we need is Josh to be healthy and we'll be fine. It doesn't mean that we are guaranteed SB, but that is yet another false expectation people have. No matter how good Beane, McDermott, coaching staff and players are, we can't have more than 20% (or whatever number) chance to win it all, since there are other good GMs/coaches/players/teams in the league too.

Edited by No_Matter_What
  • Like (+1) 3
  • Agree 3
  • Awesome! (+1) 2

24 minutes ago, No_Matter_What said:

Like many other positive posts this is very spot on. The way people overreact to one loss or some stretch of worse games is fascinating.

People probably don't remember but we didn't have many good games last regular season. Lots of losses, lots of wins despite less than optimal play (Allen was 11/26 with 120 yards and 3 INT vs Falcons), and yet we crushed Patriots when it counted and were very close to beating Chiefs on the road (and would be favorites to win it all had we won that game).

We are 6-2. We have beaten Chiefs, Ravens and Titans, 2 of them on the road.

Now we had one really bad half with lots of injuries against very good D and people went crazy.

It's not about the Bills, it's about people's expectations.

To put it in ther way - if we now suck and are not an SB team, then who is? Chiefs, who we had beaten on the road, who lost to Colts and were almost beaten by truly one-dimensional Titans, who we crushed before? 6-3 Ravens who we beat on the road, and who collapsed from another 17+ lead against Dolphins at home? Dolphins, who needed half of our team dead to pull 2 point win against us at home? Jets? Titans?

All we need is Josh to be healthy and we'll be fine. It doesn't mean that we are guaranteed SB, but that is yet another false expectation people have. No matter how good Beane, McDermott, coaching staff and players are, we can't have more than 20% (or whatever number) chance to win it all, since there are other good GMs/coaches/players/teams in the league too.

Plus SB runs often take some lucky bounces. The Bengals had so many things go their way last year and the Rams had that SF DB drop the game-winning INT in the NFC CG.

• Like (+1) 1

Stop being rational, I'm not ready to be rational yet!

I guess in all those losses listed weaknesses and issues were exposed and then worked on. And I agree, people forget how average at best much of the regular season was in 2021. The issue is, we want to have home field advantage so top seed is key. A defeat to a dceent but limited Jets side does not help.

2 hours ago, gtw3 said:

the-wedding-singer-adam-sandler.gif

😊

• Like (+1) 1
  • Haha (+1) 3

2 hours ago, gtw3 said:

The other thing each of those teams had to become a championship team is a good running game so the Bills had better get off their asses & get something good happening in that area they've shown it can be done now use it !! 

I thought they did when they utilized Gilliam in a old school kind of FB blocking for Motor but they are so stuck in the passing game they don't incorporate that line up much & depend way to much on josh & another thing with those teams they injected a lot more TE play like Gronk for both the Pats & Bucks, & Eartz for Philly .

• Like (+1) 2

8 minutes ago, T master said:

The other thing each of those teams had to become a championship team is a good running game so the Bills had better get off their asses & get something good happening in that area they've shown it can be done now use it !! 

I thought they did when they utilized Gilliam in a old school kind of FB blocking for Motor but they are so stuck in the passing game they don't incorporate that line up much & depend way to much on josh & another thing with those teams they injected a lot more TE play like Gronk for both the Pats & Bucks, & Eartz for Philly .

The Rams had 30 rushing yards by RBs in 19 carries in the Superbowl. But that is a bit of an outlier.

Just now, FrenchConnection said:

The Rams had 30 rushing yards by RBs in 19 carries in the Superbowl. But that is a bit of an outlier.

Out side of Josh rushing yards what did the Bills have in this last game ? that's the thing if they key on Josh & keep him contained they are SCREWED when it comes to the rushing game .

Josh is the rushing game in B/lo & every one knows it that has to change some before they become a championship team JMHO . And they have done it this year & last Motor is completely capable but they so easily run away from using it way to fast & put it all on Josh .

The times they have used the backs & TE's in different ways it has proven to help win & Josh may not get to hyped thinking he is the only way to win the kid in Houston despite th O line woes is making it happen so did Blackshear this year for the Bills but they stuck with Moss instead which i think was a huge mistake .

I feel that Blackshear given the chance would have been our guy like the rookie in Houston he just made things happen even when they weren't there but now we will never know .

• Like (+1) 1

1 minute ago, T master said:

Out side of Josh rushing yards what did the Bills have in this last game ? that's the thing if they key on Josh & keep him contained they are SCREWED when it comes to the rushing game .

Josh is the rushing game in B/lo & every one knows it that has to change some before they become a championship team JMHO . And they have done it this year & last Motor is completely capable but they so easily run away from using it way to fast & put it all on Josh .

The times they have used the backs & TE's in different ways it has proven to help win & Josh may not get to hyped thinking he is the only way to win the kid in Houston despite th O line woes is making it happen so did Blackshear this year for the Bills but they stuck with Moss instead which i think was a huge mistake .

I feel that Blackshear given the chance would have been our guy like the rookie in Houston he just made things happen even when they weren't there but now we will never know .

Just to answer your question, the Bills RBs had 39 yards on 12 carries. Not good by any stretch, better than the Rams.

• Thank you (+1) 1

Remembering 2003 when a very mediocre-to-bad Buffalo slaughtered New England in week 1 31-0.  Couple weeks later, NE lost to lowly Washington.  After all that, NE was practically unbeatable the rest of the year, even against some of the better teams like Indy, Philly, and Tennessee.

Super Bowl teams peak at just the right time.  I felt the Bills did that last year.  They turned it on late in the season, winning 4 straight to close it out.  In 2020, they had six consecutive wins after the bye.  

My biggest concern is this mid-season malaise takes away something you want - like being home for the playoffs. 

• Agree 2

This topic is OLD. A NEW topic should be started unless there is a very specific reason to revive this one.