Josh Allen injury update(officially questionable - expected to start per Ian Rappaport)

Big Turk

7 hours ago, Richard Noggin said:

Seems like no one is discussing Josh's last 3 halves of decision making, and the sudden refusal to NOT take what the GB and NYJ defenses were giving him. Short and intermediate routes were open on many of the incompletions and interceptions in those 3 halves of bad passing offense, and Allen chose instead to be belligerently aggressive. 

Is it at all possible that forcing him to step back and see things objectively from the sideline for a game (or 2 or 3, god forbid) will actually help him remember what was propelling his early season ELITE play? Taking what the defenses were giving him early and often, and then as the game wears on, exploiting those moments where the opponents finally got impatient/aggressive? The big plays are earned by PROVING you'll take the small plays over and over. Our guy has definitely backslid into terrible habits, both with decision-making and, on some of those skipped throws to the right flat, mechanics. A step back might allow him to flush out those toxic tendencies.

Straw clutching but we can hope it will help. That, and Dorsey will have to try and create a running game as Keenum won't be able to do it all with his arm.

8 hours ago, Richard Noggin said:

Seems like no one is discussing Josh's last 3 halves of decision making, and the sudden refusal to NOT take what the GB and NYJ defenses were giving him. Short and intermediate routes were open on many of the incompletions and interceptions in those 3 halves of bad passing offense, and Allen chose instead to be belligerently aggressive. 

Is it at all possible that forcing him to step back and see things objectively from the sideline for a game (or 2 or 3, god forbid) will actually help him remember what was propelling his early season ELITE play? Taking what the defenses were giving him early and often, and then as the game wears on, exploiting those moments where the opponents finally got impatient/aggressive? The big plays are earned by PROVING you'll take the small plays over and over. Our guy has definitely backslid into terrible habits, both with decision-making and, on some of those skipped throws to the right flat, mechanics. A step back might allow him to flush out those toxic tendencies.

What do you mean? 2 of the 4 ints were short passes....

9 hours ago, Beck Water said:

Welcome!

When Josh Allen sprained his L shoulder (AC joint) against the Raiders, he was seen wearing a restrictive "linebacker brace" the next 2 weeks against the Titans and the Chiefs.  He was "off" passing, typically missing high (Hasselbeck explained that's typical for that injury and why), until, during the 4Q against the chiefs, it seemed like he took it off despite some apparent protests from trainers, and all of a sudden could pass.  I think next game or 2 he was taped up.

Anyway, I can't imagine an elbow brace that would be restrictive enough to be protective, but that wouldn't mess with some aspect of Josh's delivery given the multiple arm angles he uses.

When I had a similar injury it was just a reinforced compression sleeve basically.  Wasn't about stability was more about circulation to avoid swelling and ensuring I could still grip the ball. That's it. 

9 hours ago, BuffaloBaumer said:

Is there anyone who actually believes he is playing on Sunday? I mean come on, you have to understand there is no freaking way.

He's not playing Sunday nor should he.  As the synopsis said he needs roughly 24 days to properly recover. That's Minnesota,  Cleveland & Detroit.  I would rather sneak into the playoffs with a healthy Josh Allen then risk further injury going for the #1 seed.

Edited by LABILLBACKER
  • Like (+1) 1

In addition to his arm I’m still worried about his last 6 or so quarters of ball.  He just hasn’t looked right since being tattooed by Douglas at GB.  I know he laughed it off but there was definitely a change to his game that ensued.

Now we’re thinking of taking a visibly dinged QB coming off almost 2 not so great games & trotting him out vs the Vikes. Color me concerned.

Edited by PayDaBill$

10 minutes ago, What a Tuel said:

One he literally tried to throw in the dirt and even he admits he just missed? 

1 minute ago, PayDaBill$ said:

In addition to his arm I’m still worried about his last 6 or so quarters of ball.  He just hasn’t looked right since being hit by Douglas at GB.  I know he laughed it off but there was definitely a change to his game that ensued.

Now we’re thinking of taking a visibly dinged QB coming off almost 2 not so great games & trotting him out vs the Vikes. Color me concerned.

If he doesn’t play well they can’t win they don’t have enough skill talent to win if he isnt superman so you better pray he plays better 

1 minute ago, 78thealltimegreat said:

One he literally tried to throw in the dirt and even he admits he just missed? 

Yeah, and the jets one he was taking what the jets gave him (Knox) but did not see the defender.

The Davis one seemed like a miscommuncation.

I think only one of the 4 ints was actually Allen trying to make things out of nothing and messing up.

4 minutes ago, LABILLBACKER said:

He's not playing Sunday nor should he.  As the synopsis said he needs roughly 24 days to properly recover. That's Minnesota,  Cleveland & Detroit.  I would rather sneak into the playoffs with a healthy Josh Allen then risk further injury going for the #1 seed.

There seems to be debate about whether injuring it further is possible.

They clearly won't play him if there is risk to injure it further, but if the risk of a tear is the same with the injury and without then he can certainly play.

• Agree 1

8 minutes ago, LABILLBACKER said:

He’s not going to miss 3 games.  People need to stop with the doom and gloom 

• Agree 2
  • Thank you (+1) 1

31 minutes ago, LABILLBACKER said:

I didn't see in the synopsis where this is considered a "day to day" injury.

38 minutes ago, LABILLBACKER said:

Bills have not released any details on the injury besides he’s day to day. 24 days seems more like week to week

37 minutes ago, PayDaBill$ said:

In addition to his arm I’m still worried about his last 6 or so quarters of ball.  He just hasn’t looked right since being tattooed by Douglas at GB.  I know he laughed it off but there was definitely a change to his game that ensued.

Yeah, I have been thinking about this a lot because he definitely didn't look right.  I can think of two times when Josh just seemed off like this.  One was when he hurt his shoulder against Oakland a few years ago.  He acted as if it were nothing and it wasn't affecting him, but he didn't look right for about 3 games.  The other was the middle of last year.  It's been pointed out that something happened at half time of the Tampa Bay game and he and the offense looked much better.  Seems like it was a mental/focus problem.  So, it could be a physical issue (either the Douglas hit or another hit), or it could be mental.  It's hard to tell the difference particularly since he downplays injuries.  Certainly I would hope that the coaches weren't calling runs if they knew or even suspected he was hurt.  Will just have to wait until Josh gets better and see how he looks then.

9 hours ago, Richard Noggin said:

This is just me, but I don't think there is anything "sudden" about the refusal here. 

I think Josh has been playing aggressive all season. 

The thing is, when it works and we score TDs in 3 plays from scrimmage starting at our 2 yard line as in the Steelers game, everyone is ready to canonize Josh.  Someone ( @HoofHearted?) said that the Steelers game may have been one of the worst things to happen to Josh.  He had 19.7 yds per completion in that game, AND he threw a bad interception to Levi Wallace (the target was Gabe Davis) from the Pitt 21 that took points off the board when the score was 10-7.  He threw it on a line as though Wallace were not anywhere near Davis, when in fact Wallace was between Davis and the ball and closing fast - throwing on an arc Davis could have run under would have probably been a touchdown.  Same pattern of INT he threw to Knox vs. the Jets.

My guess is that when their young QB throws for 432 yds and the team wins 38-3, Dorsey and McDermott can't read the Riot Act too effectively to Josh over whatever the hell that interception throw was to Davis. 

They can say "Josh, you have to take care of the football; Josh, you hurt the team when you take points off the board; Josh, we could have used that touchdown when we were winning only 10-3, it could have changed the game.  Josh, you can't do that." and Josh will hear "Josh, football; Josh, points; Josh, touchdown, winning, changed game!  Josh, do that!"  The media MVP clamor and fan adulation must be louder than the coaches.

There are a few INTs that can't be helped - deflections and such - or the receiver bobbles it and it's charged to the QB (though in those cases, the throw may have been poorly placed or had too much "pepper" on it - I thought for sure that one great catch Singletary made was gonna be deflected and picked).

But I think most of Josh's 8 interceptions have been poor decisions.  At least 5 of them.

• Agree 2

1 hour ago, What a Tuel said:

Still aggressive decision making.

vs GB, one was a short pass at the goal line.  He had McKenzie wide open on the R.  Early in the play, I think a plausible pass to Cook short of the goal line but trust an RB to make it in.    But Josh  was locked onto Gabe Davis who was coming across the back of the endzone, well covered by Zaire Alexander. 

"I was trying to dirt it" c'mon Josh, if you want to dirt a ball, throw it towards the R sideline, McKenzie was there and had the defender boxed out behind him like a basketball guard, Safe.  Or just throw it through the back of the endzone, as you say, it was a short pass from the GB 3 yard line.  It's 3rd down, we get a field goal and kick off.

A decision to dirt it in the crowded middle of the field was a stupid decision.

So was a decision to "float" a ball to Knox when Josh acknowledges he didn't have a clear view of the field because a DE was in his way.    It was 2nd down.  Throw it away, 3rd down.  Or throw on an arc to Knox and trust him to make it "his ball or no one's ball". 

Someone will no doubt hate this analogy, but it's like a hunter shooting a cow or a dog (or worse, a person) and excusing him or herself because he didn't have a clear view of the shot, there was a tree in the way.  "Be Sure of Your Target" is Gun Safety 101: "You're responsible for knowing what's in front of your target, near your target and beyond your target. If you aren't certain about any of the three, don't take the shot."

Edited by Beck Water

This topic is OLD. A NEW topic should be started unless there is a very specific reason to revive this one.