All-22 Grades for Bills/Packers (The Athletic)

HappyDays

https://theathletic.com/3756341/2022/11/02/bills-all-22-review-packers?source=user-shared-article

1. Why did the Bills’ run defense struggle?

Up front, this was the first time that one-technique DaQuan Jones had difficulty making an impact. The Packers turned Jones far too easily with a solo blocker on a handful of occasions and it opened up some big rushing lanes as a result. Jones had some positive moments as a pass rusher throughout the day to help bring his grade back up, but this was definitely his worst game as a Bills player so far. Jordan Phillips, outside of his colossal hit on Jones that knocked the player backwards, left a lot to be desired as a run defender. He wasn’t holding the point of attack well enough, which allowed the Packers to hammer down and move him out of the way for a big lane. It was occasionally an issue for Phillips during his first stint with the Bills, so this one-game example isn’t an enormous surprise.

Paired with the difficulties up front was the worst collective game for the trio of Matt Milano, Tremaine Edmunds and Taron Johnson. For the second straight year, the Bills opted to stay in nickel as their base defense regardless of the personnel groupings for the opposing offense. Johnson has done an excellent job this season of squirming past blockers to get to the ball carriers. Still, the philosophy also runs the risk of the nickel corner getting caught against a 300-plus pound offensive lineman getting to the second level, and that’s what happened a few times.

But the more significant concern was how effectively the Packers blockers took out Milano and Edmunds as often as they did. This was one of the worst games for Milano in recent memory in terms of getting off blocks. He was driven out of plays far too often, and on one play, Packers tight end Marcedes Lewis drove him a long way before pancaking him to the ground. Milano has been so good at beating blockers and runners to the spot for so long. But some of the hesitation the Packers’ scheme provided thwarted some of those instincts. Edmunds’ problems were similar to Milano, so it wasn’t just one or the other. Edmunds was the better every-down linebacker of the two, but they received the same grade because Milano forced a turnover.

2. Tim Settle had his best game yet

Despite both Jones and Phillips faltering in the run game, there was an extra burst in defensive tackle Tim Settle’s step throughout the game. Even though he remains fourth on the defensive tackle depth chart and getting the fewest snaps of the group, Settle maximized all his chances for easily the best game of his season. He was quick off the snap and disruptive while also maintaining the physicality along the line that the other two defensive tackles were lacking on some plays. Settle made waves even on the broadcast copy with a sack of Aaron Rodgers and then again with tipping a pass that wound up in Milano’s hands for an interception. But his day was bigger than that, with several solid reps against the run that helped set up his teammates to make a play. The Packers averaged only four yards per carry in the eight rushing attempts with Settle on the field. On the other 22 attempts with Settle on the sideline, the Packers averaged 7.5 yards per carry.

3. Rousseau’s game was even better on film

With the All-22 helping to put Rousseau’s day under the microscope, it went from a good game to a great one, to the point that he bordered on dominance. We knew heading in that some of his length would give Packers right tackle Yosh Nijman some trouble, which it did on multiple occasions. But the more surprising development is how well Rousseau did against left tackle David Bakhtiari.

It’s a great and impressive sign for a couple of reasons. Not only is Rousseau more comfortable working against right tackles dating back to his college career, but he was also working against Bakhtiari, who has been one of the best left tackles in the NFL for a long time. He easily kept both Nijman and Bakhtiari off his pads and was ready to crash down on the running back or into the pocket on Rodgers as soon as he moved off his spot. Rousseau also mixed in some instant wins around the edge, one-upping his usual style of allowing his length and physicality to disengage from a blocker to clean up for a sack.

4. Uncharacteristic struggles for Dion Dawkins

The Packers’ edge rushers, most notably Preston Smith, were giving Dawkins problems in the second half that led to a lot of quick pressure on quarterback Josh Allen. Dawkins lunged and guessed a bit more often than we normally see from him, and then as a run blocker in the second half, Dawkins couldn’t consistently get to the spot and keep his assignment from getting away from the block before the runner had passed.

5. Why Dane Jackson might be the guy once Tre’Davious White is back

Jackson, when healthy enough to play, has been the only one of the three cornerbacks to take every starter snap. He was also the best of the bunch in both his tackling and block shedding and remained more consistent in coverage than the two rookies. Elam and Benford both had their moments, but there were some missed tackles and a blown coverage that went for a big play in the second half. Not only the eye test, but defensive coordinator Leslie Frazier certainly made it sound like it would be Jackson’s job when White was ready to make his full return. Frazier was asked Monday how having White back for practice would impact the Bills’ preparations for the upcoming game.

“It’ll just affect the rotation and how we practice because we want to be able to take some views of him, but still try not to keep Kaiir and Christian from getting the reps they need to be prepared just in case,” Fraizer said.

The person left out of his comment, very clearly, was Jackson — and that’s a good thing. At least in Frazier’s mind on Monday, Jackson was a locked-in starter regardless of White’s availability this weekend.

Top 5 grades:

1) Mitch Morse (A-)

2) Greg Rousseau (A-)

3) Tim Settle (A-)

4) Von Miller (A-)

5) Ryan Bates (B+)

Bottom 5 grades:

1) Boogie Basham (C)

2) David Quessenberry (C)

3) Taron Johnson (C)

4) Rodger Saffold (C)

5) Jordan Poyer (C+)

9 minutes ago, Da webster guy said:

Ed Oliver less than a B+  ?

I thought he was Buffalo's most disruptive player on defense Sunday night. He collapsed the pocket into Rodgers over and over again. And was the single biggest reason the Packers refused to pass the ball even though they were down 17 in the 2nd half.

Edited by LOVEMESOMEBILLS
  • Agree 4

1 hour ago, CSBill said:

Good to see Bates grading up. He's had an unexpected rough start to the season. Hopefully this the Bates we anticipated going forward.

I think he was trying too hard to be Ryan Bates and forgot to be Rick Bates.  In the words of Mufasa, “Remember who you are.”

Edited by SageAgainstTheMachine
  • Like (+1) 1
  • Haha (+1) 1

I'm actually starting to think that the first few games that White comes back he's maybe better suited to be the #2 CB behind Dane until he's fully back up to speed. He'll likely overtake the top CB spot back...but the play of Dane combined with the play of Elam and Benford really makes White a luxury to have coming back. What a great problem to have! 

Fully expecting this group to bounce back vs NYJ. Sure seems like this after-bye matchup vs. Green Bay turned into a sleepwalk/slough off in the 2nd half. If you can experience the "trap game" feeling in the midst of a cruising win, that's gotta be a good thing.

Personally feel like a lot of the D were already checked out pretty early in the game. It's tough to lock down teams like the Bills defense does if you're not keyed up.

• Like (+1) 1

52 minutes ago, Coach Tuesday said:

You wonder about Dawkins - he lays enough eggs during the year that if they get the chance to draft and develop his replacement and maybe side him inside to guard in a couple of years, they should seriously consider it.

The talking heads on Monday night were saying that they aren't making many NFL quality Left Tackles. 

Whitworth was proof that if you stay healthy you can play well into your 30's.

We have a known commodity there, if we don't pay him, someone else will. 

His overall grade is brought down by his run blocking, he's a top 10 pass blocker. 

I will continue to pound the table that Dane Jackson is our best CB right now, and it isn't close. He isn't just the best CB on the roster, he is playing like one of the best CB's in the league. Without hyperbole he is playing at the level of a healthy Tre White. There is no way in hell that he is losing any meaningful snaps to the rookies while White ramps back up. 

Opposing QB passer rating when targeted is 49. The dude has stepped up.

• Like (+1) 6
  • Awesome! (+1) 1

8 hours ago, LOVEMESOMEBILLS said:

I think he should've got at least an A- like the other 3 DL got. He and Settle were collapsing the pocket all night, blowing up pass plays. Rodgers had his interior line in his lap most of the night.

He was collapsing the pocket on pass plays.  What did he do vs the run, where we were gashed?

idk….I didn’t watch Ed closely, but I would guess that’s why he didn’t get a higher grade.  

1 hour ago, Coach Tuesday said:

Rousseau is trending toward superstar, top-of-market status.

You wonder about Dawkins - he lays enough eggs during the year that if they get the chance to draft and develop his replacement and maybe side him inside to guard in a couple of years, they should seriously consider it.

I'd have considered it last year if one of the top 4 tackles had got to us and said as much. If the Bills have a guy they think can be a franchise left tackle fall to them in the next couple of drafts they should take him. Round 1 or otherwise. 

11 minutes ago, BearNorth said:

The talking heads on Monday night were saying that they aren't making many NFL quality Left Tackles. 

Whitworth was proof that if you stay healthy you can play well into your 30's.

We have a known commodity there, if we don't pay him, someone else will. 

His overall grade is brought down by his run blocking, he's a top 10 pass blocker. 

Dion Dawkins is not Andrew Whitworth. And Whit interestingly started as a guard and moved out. I still think Dion's career arc will be the other way. He will end up inside I think. 

• Agree 2

32 minutes ago, Mango said:

I will continue to pound the table that Dane Jackson is our best CB right now, and it isn't close. He isn't just the best CB on the roster, he is playing like one of the best CB's in the league. Without hyperbole he is playing at the level of a healthy Tre White. There is no way in hell that he is losing any meaningful snaps to the rookies while White ramps back up. 

Opposing QB passer rating when targeted is 49. The dude has stepped up.

I dont see who wouldnt agree with that.  Its been exciting having our rookies play well for the most part.  Especially exciting for Benford.  I think most people know at least at this point that Dane has been the best of the 3.

• Like (+1) 1

3 minutes ago, Scott7975 said:

I dont see who wouldnt agree with that.  Its been exciting having our rookies play well for the most part.  Especially exciting for Benford.  I think most people know at least at this point that Dane has been the best of the 3.

There have been a few "Play Elam to get him the experience" or whatever threads/comments the last few weeks it seems. 

Consider me triggered! Ha. 

• Haha (+1) 1

5 minutes ago, Mango said:

There have been a few "Play Elam to get him the experience" or whatever threads/comments the last few weeks it seems. 

Consider me triggered! Ha. 

It will be interesting to see what happens when Tre is back to being Tre.  Our rookies are too good to ride the bench forever.

• Like (+1) 1

This topic is OLD. A NEW topic should be started unless there is a very specific reason to revive this one.