Allen’s QBR last night was 83.6

78thealltimegreat

4 minutes ago, Process said:

He was awful. Could care less what some made up nerd metric says. 

Best QB in the NFL who had a bad game. It happens. Who cares. We won comfortably. And move on. 

You want to see awful QB play? Go watch the Pats - Jets game. Allen wasn't close to being awful. He took the team to five straight scoring drives and 27 points through the middle of the 3rd quarter. He had 3-4 bad throws over two drives in the fourth that, in all honesty, only kept them from scoring 34-37 points - not put them in danger of losing the game. 

He wasn't awful. He had 3-4 "awful" plays. There is a difference - and they weren't the first "awful" plays he has had this year. It happens.

• Like (+1) 1
  • Thank you (+1) 1

32 minutes ago, KDIGGZ said:

Good 1st half, terrible 2nd half. We won't win if he has a full game like that 2nd half. Luckily we were already up big at that point. Josh is the entire offense. If he has a bad game then we won't win, simple as that. He had a bad 2nd half and we only had 3 points as a team as a result 

We won't win if he has a terrible single half like that...if it's in the playoffs against a strong team on top of its game....which you have to assume will be the case.

The season will ultimately come down to how well we string 4 quarters together, just a few times, in the post-season.

Let's hope we save our best for when we need it most.

Of note: Allen was basically "perfect" last year in both our playoff games.

• Like (+1) 1

32 minutes ago, KDIGGZ said:

Good 1st half, terrible 2nd half. We won't win if he has a full game like that 2nd half. Luckily we were already up big at that point. Josh is the entire offense. If he has a bad game then we won't win, simple as that. He had a bad 2nd half and we only had 3 points as a team as a result 

Gotta think the big lead and our lack of urgency on offense in the second half were related though.  He likely passed up an easy first down scramble because our coaching staff didn’t want him taking unnecessary hits with a big lead on that first int.  Second one looked like he was mostly trying to throw the ball away but give one of his receivers an outside chance which is a mistake I don’t see happening again 

Just now, Nextmanup said:

We won't win if he has a terrible single half like that...if it's in the playoffs against a strong team on top of its game....which you have to assume will be the case.

The season will ultimately come down to how well we string 4 quarters together, just a few times, in the post-season.

Let's hope we save our best for when we need it most.

Of note: Allen was basically "perfect" last year in both our playoff games.

Yes the expectation has become that Allen will play perfect every week and that's not a sustainable model for success.

1 minute ago, billsfan1959 said:

You want to see awful QB play? Go watch the Pats - Jets game. Allen wasn't close to being awful. He took the team to five straight scoring drives and 27 points through the middle of the 3rd quarter. He had 3-4 bad throws over two drives in the fourth that, in all honesty, only kept them from scoring 34-37 points - not put them in danger of losing the game. 

He wasn't awful. He had 3-4 "awful" plays. There is a difference - and they weren't the first "awful" plays he has had this year. It happens.

I think part of the issue is they happened back to back and in the fourth quarter. If they'd happened in the first quarter then Josh improved would people be so concerned? If one interception had happened in the first half, the second in the fourth quarter and the overthrow at some random point inbetween would there be such a reaction? I don't think so. It's because they basically happened one drive after another after another - as though he got stuck in a funk and couldn't get himself out of it mentally.

33 minutes ago, UKBillFan said:

I thought Josh was fine in the first half. Second half was awful, admittedly.

Yeah I think there was a combination of 1) Allen starting to let the MVP talk work on him, and 2) the rest of the team putting it in Neutral and coasting. I don't think it's a good time to start hero ball when your receivers are too busy barbing it up with GBDB's to execute the kinds of routes they pull off in normal situations.

They really need a slot option who is reliable. If they don't pick someone up before the deadline, I think that will be a Beane miss (unless they begin to employ Shakir as the primary slot receiver).

Edited by pocoboy

I said it earlier in the year too, Allen and the offense start playing too loose at times once they realize they are much better than their opponent. The dirt pass that turned into a pick I'll chalk up to a weird fluke, but the one he threw back across his body was just unnecessary at that moment in the game. Allen is the man and he know he's the man but he has to pick his spots. He knows better than that.

I also feel like there are some games where you can tell the coaching staff has told him no more running. Did he run the ball once after halftime yesterday? When Allen is neutered like that the offense looks worse. I think if we had been playing the Chiefs he would have just run on that 3rd down where he threw his first interception. They should let him play his game.

4 minutes ago, pocoboy said:

Yeah I think there was a combination of 1) Allen starting to let the MVP talk work on him, and 2) the rest of the team putting it in Neutral and coasting. I don't think it's a good time to start hero ball when your receivers are too busy barbing it up with GBDB's to execute the kinds of routes they pull off in normal situations.

They really need a slot option who is reliable. If they don't pick someone up before the deadline, I think that will be a Beane miss (unless they begin to employ Shakir as the primary slot receiver).

I take my original post back - first three quarters decent, fourth quarter awful. And even then he did that nice dunk to Cook in the fourth.

3 minutes ago, HappyDays said:

I said it earlier in the year too, Allen and the offense start playing too loose at times once they realize they are much better than their opponent. The dirt pass that turned into a pick I'll chalk up to a weird fluke, but the one he threw back across his body was just unnecessary at that moment in the game. Allen is the man and he know he's the man but he has to pick his spots. He knows better than that.

I also feel like there are some games where you can tell the coaching staff has told him no more running. Did he run the ball once after halftime yesterday? When Allen is neutered like that the offense looks worse. I think if we had been playing the Chiefs he would have just run on that 3rd down where he threw his first interception. They should let him play his game.

Yes - in the third quarter during the final scoring drive. It's as though they had a word between the third and fourth quarters.

With the second interception I don't get why he didn't throw it out of the back of the end zone.

9 minutes ago, UKBillFan said:

I think part of the issue is they happened back to back and in the fourth quarter. If they'd happened in the first quarter then Josh improved would people be so concerned? If one interception had happened in the first half, the second in the fourth quarter and the overthrow at some random point inbetween would there be such a reaction? I don't think so. It's because they basically happened one drive after another after another - as though he got stuck in a funk and couldn't get himself out of it mentally.

Are you honestly concerned about Josh Allen?

From Josh's very first throw i thought maybe he was nervous or over-excited about playing vs 1 of his childhood idols in Rodgers.

We've seen it before from him, where he's so amped up to play that it takes a series or 2 for him to settle down & collect himself (for lack of a better word).

I'm not gonna presume i know anything about what Josh's issues were last night. I really want to watch the All-21. But the bar he's set for QB play has been set so high, anything less than 300 3tds feels like an off performance. It was still a solid game by anyones standards & we got the dub. I'm good with that

Just now, billsfan1959 said:

Are you honestly concerned about Josh Allen?

Maybe concerned is the wrong word. I'm asking would it be being spoken about so much.

From memory, I don't think Josh's struggles in the first half at Tampa were really discussed post game last year, because of how brilliant he was in the second half.

45 minutes ago, BuffalOhio said:

I think playing against his idol and trying to make insane plays got into Josh's head.

I think Alexander got into everyone's heads.

Yeah, I said same in post-game thread.  Diggs and DAvis were distracted and more interested in getting a hit on him.

QBR accounts for running too which he was very effective with last night and probably boosted his rating a bunch. Josh was fine overall, I think they were out of rhythm in the second half with how long the Packers held onto the ball on their drives so he got a little sloppy

Just now, UKBillFan said:

Maybe concerned is the wrong word. I'm asking would it be being spoken about so much.

From memory, I don't think Josh's struggles in the first half at Tampa were really discussed post game last year, because of how brilliant he was in the second half.

I don't know why it is being spoken about so much at all. It is not as if they happened with the game on the line, or at some critical point in the game, or if it was some kind of pattern with Allen. They literally happened with the team up by 17 points and on the opponent's side of the field. They didn't lead to scores by GB or a loss.

He is having an MVP year. In the midst of all the MVP caliber plays he has displayed this year are probably 10-15 bad plays. It happens. You can find the same with Mahomes. Do you think Allen isn't aware of those bad plays?

Why are you not talking about the beautifully thrown passes, escape from would be sacks, and great plays with his legs that led to a 27 -10 lead midway through the 3rd quarter that made those 3-4 bad plays in the 4th inconsquential?

People shouldn't defend 13/25 with 2 TD/2 INT as a good game. He had a very good first half, an iffy 3rd quarter and a bad 4th quarter. 

If his stat line ended up at 15/25 with 2 TD and 1 INT, it probably would qualify as a good game. But the overthrows in Q4 plus the 2 INTs say: stinker. So he needs to learn from it and move forward. As long as he is not injured, we'll do fine. 

As I recall Aaron Rogers had a horrific game in Buffalo a few years back. Since then he won the MVP twice. It can happen to anyone. Sometimes Brady threw multiple picks too. It's why they play. Let's hope he gets it out of his system.

This topic is OLD. A NEW topic should be started unless there is a very specific reason to revive this one.