Finding an alternative to Case Keenum

Einstein

18 hours ago, Einstein said:

Great win by the Bills! Seeing Keenum again brought about some reminders of his play.

This is the second blowout where Josh Allen moved the offense at will, then Keenum comes in and looks totally lost. Can barely get a first down. Doesn’t score at all.

Here are the Keenum led drives:

Punt

Punt

Punt

Punt

End of game

Barkley at least could move the offense a little bit after coming in from 2018 to 2020. Even won a game starting. No, he wasn’t great - i’m not making that argument.

Here is my question: Does anyone have confidence that Keenum can win a game if he ever needed to? 

coming in with other backups with a game plan to run clock and eliminate all possible mistakes, not to put up stats or score 

1 minute ago, smuvtalker said:

No concern whatsoever for Elam.  The kid is a gamer all day, and let's not overlook the fact that he's got a good head on his shoulders.  A first round pick, who gets bumped for a sixth rounder to start the season despite a solid training camp.  Does he gripe and moan, no?  He puts his head down, keeps working, and plays darn well when his number is called.  Yeah he was picked on yesterday, but I didn't think he was abysmal by any stretch.  Not only that, he snagged his first pick on a pass that he was supposed to intercept.  Let's not forget Tre had a few bumps and bruises his rookie year as well.  I anticipate nothing but great things ahead for number 24.  

He has an agenda against Elam.  If he struggles, he's going to bring it up.  If he plays well, you won't hear from him.

• Awesome! (+1) 3

1 minute ago, Royale with Cheese said:

He has an agenda against Elam.  If he struggles, he's going to bring it up.  If he plays well, you won't hear from him.

HOLY SMOKES!!!!  Dayum that is an impressive stat, especially considering I was fully enamored with Sauce Gardner and fantasized about us getting him.  

Yeah, Elam is gonna be just fine.  Dare I say I could easily see him being our CB1 one day in the not-so-distant future.  Kids got the prototype size, great speed, solid tackler, good in run support.  

38 minutes ago, Einstein said:

Thank you.

A bit, yes. He was picked on yesterday by a QB in his 1st ever start. Doesn’t mean he won’t get better, but do have a healthy dose of concern for him. 

I think we are big time underrating how good the Steelers wide receivers are.  Probably the third best group of wrs we’ll see this year…and the bengals I’m honestly not even worried about because they insist on calling passing plays with so many deep routes all game long 

Great win by the Bills! Seeing Keenum again brought about some reminders of his play.

This is the second blowout where Josh Allen moved the offense at will, then Keenum comes in and looks totally lost. Can barely get a first down. Doesn’t score at all.

Punt

Punt

Punt

Punt

End of game

Barkley at least could move the offense a little bit after coming in from 2018 to 2020. Even won a game starting. No, he wasn’t great - i’m not making that argument.

Here is my question: Does anyone have confidence that Keenum can win a game if he ever needed to? 

Serious question: Are you filled with existential dread every time the Bills are on TV?  Your thread history is filled with bizarre negative takes on things that aren't even particularly important.  

Edited by Bruffalo
  • Haha (+1) 1

1 minute ago, Bruffalo said:

Serious question: Are you filled with existential dread every time the Bills are on TV?  Your thread history is filled with bizarre negative takes on things that aren't even particularly import.  

"Keenum couldn't move the ball with our back ups against Pittsburgh's first team defense!"

Punt

Punt

Punt

Punt

End of game

I know right.

Diggs and Davis really let Keenum down by not getting open on the sidelines.

Dawkins really let him down not protecting his blind side from the sidelines.

Morse let Keenum down by not calling better protections from the sidelines.  

I really don't think there is anyone that they can bring in that is going to be any better than Keenum.  Let's face it, if Josh were to ever miss games, the drop-off would be huge. The offense would change dramatically.  Keenum is experienced.  This is a very talented team. Let's cross that bridge if we get there.  Coming if for mop up duty is a bit different than starting.

Edited by Buftex

20 minutes ago, Bruffalo said:

Your thread history is filled with bizarre negative takes on things 

No it’s not. Another poster and I actually broke down my thread history (in a different thread) and the majority of it is positive posts. You only seem to remember the negative ones. Wonder why that is.

• Eyeroll 1
  • Dislike 1

2 minutes ago, John from Riverside said:

Don’t be silly Einstein has an agenda on anybody that didn’t meet his unrealistic expectations in the previous game isn’t that obvious

Creates a thread about being concerned about Elam right after we blow out the Rams.  Now saying he's worried about him because he didn't shut down the Steelers WR yesterday even though he's played lights out the previous few games.  Creates another negative thread about Elam and a rumor.

Creates a thread about being concerned about Keenum right after we blow out the Steelers.  Keenum wasn't throwing to Diggs or Davis or any 1st string players.

Creates a thread basically mocking Spencer Brown for being "too hot" in the Dolphins game and Benford for being out with a HAND injury.

Creates a thread about missing losing games.  Then complains when we lose.

Irrelevant Daboll thread trying to tie that into 13 seconds.  The Titans missed a 47 yard FG lol to lose the game.

Poor coaching becoming a theme.  We lead the league in point differential.

Argues adamantly that the Titans have a better roster than the Bills.  Argues adamantly Jeffrey Simmons is the 2nd best defensive player in the league LOL.

• Awesome! (+1) 2

5 minutes ago, Royale with Cheese said:

Creates a thread about being concerned about Elam right after we blow out the Rams.  Now saying he's worried about him because he didn't shut down the Steelers WR yesterday even though he's played lights out the previous few games.  Creates another negative thread about Elam and a rumor.

Creates a thread about being concerned about Keenum right after we blow out the Steelers.  Keenum wasn't throwing to Diggs or Davis or any 1st string players.

Creates a thread basically mocking Spencer Brown for being "too hot" in the Dolphins game and Benford for being out with a HAND injury.

Creates a thread about missing losing games.  Then complains when we lose.

Irrelevant Daboll thread trying to tie that into 13 seconds.  The Titans missed a 47 yard FG lol to lose the game.

Poor coaching becoming a theme.  We lead the league in point differential.

Argues adamantly that the Titans have a better roster than the Bills.  Argues adamantly Jeffrey Simmons is the 2nd best defensive player in the league LOL.

Yup. Wildly obvious to anybody, with the exception of himself and a very few others.

Every once in a while he says something that makes total sense and isn't apparently a product of deep anxiety and depression issues. Always shocks me.

24 minutes ago, FilthyBeast said:

Back up QB's are back ups for a reason.

And whether it's Keenam, Trubisky, Barkley, etc this would not be the same team if any of them have to play meaningful snaps in the past, present, future, etc.

Yeah. Keenam is a top 5 to 10 backup. Probably closer to top 5. Not that you'd want him to play much. But that's true of every backup. If there were a backup that weren't true of, he'd be a starter.

Look at Frank Reich, one of the better backups in team history. His QBREC (Team Record in Games Started by this QB (Regular Season) was 5-15. His career passer rating was 72.9. 40 TDs and 36 INTS. A 54.5% completion percentage. And he was a damn good backup.

2 hours ago, Thurman#1 said:

Yeah. Keenam is a top 5 to 10 backup. Probably closer to top 5. Not that you'd want him to play much. But that's true of every backup. If there were a backup that weren't true of, he'd be a starter.

Look at Frank Reich, one of the better backups in team history. His QBREC (Team Record in Games Started by this QB (Regular Season) was 5-15. His career passer rating was 72.9. 40 TDs and 36 INTS. A 54.5% completion percentage. And he was a damn good backup.

Keenam also had a decent run in a while back after taking over as the starter there but I'd still rather not see him thrust into full time action again in Buffalo.

I think the bigger picture with any backup QB is the quality of the defense supporting him and that would be the only reason this team would have a chance if Allen were ever to miss time.

21 hours ago, Bangarang said:

OP lives in a constant state of fear and negativity. It’s sad.

And kinda funny at the same time, 

6 hours ago, WotAGuy said:

I was surprised at this too; I just figured they were trying to get him some good work rather than just handing off three times and punting. It looks like he needs the reps. 

Was hoping they would have gave Cook some more work honestly…

6 hours ago, Royale with Cheese said:

"Keenum couldn't move the ball with our back ups against Pittsburgh's first team defense!"

I know right.

Diggs and Davis really let Keenum down by not getting open on the sidelines.

Dawkins really let him down not protecting his blind side from the sidelines.

Morse let Keenum down by not calling better protections from the sidelines.  

The point was he had wide open receivers in a situation where there was no pressure to perform and he couldn’t connect on relatively short wide open players. What the hell is he going to do when the game is on the line? Hopefully if he’s truly called for duty when it matters, he will be better prepared to perform.

5 minutes ago, Meatloaf63 said:

Was hoping they would have gave Cook some more work honestly…

The point was he had wide open receivers in a situation where there was no pressure to perform and he couldn’t connect on relatively short wide open players. What the hell is he going to do when the game is on the line? Hopefully if he’s truly called for duty when it matters, he will be better prepared to perform.

Just 4 seasons ago, he lead the Vikings to the Conference Championship.  He has talent.  He's a back up level QB now, which is what everyone has at that position.

• Like (+1) 1

This topic is OLD. A NEW topic should be started unless there is a very specific reason to revive this one.