Breaking News: Doctor that cleared Tua in concussion protocol is fired...

Protocal69

21 minutes ago, BUFFALOBART said:

He was in charge of an important Medical decision. Correct?

The knife fell, where it needed to fall.

I think everyone knew he was in some form of trouble after the Bills game. But I think the majority agrees there’s a little more to the story than just one rogue doctor on gameday. 

16 minutes ago, BUFFALOBART said:

If ‘The Doctor’ is working the Medical Tent, then he is the one making the call. Who else is to blame? Do you think that the team has a secret ‘if Tua gets a concussion?’ Policy in advance? Tua should never have returned to the field, against the Bills

Everyone watching that game knew Tua had concussion. It did not need a medical professional to say otherwise; McDaniel could have stepped in and said Tua would not return.

• Like (+1) 2
  • Thank you (+1) 1

12 minutes ago, BUFFALOBART said:

A man’s life was at stake, at the end of the day. If the Doc says ‘play’, then he is ultimately to blame

It's much more complicated than that; the Doc is absolutely not the only one culpable here.

• Like (+1) 1

20 minutes ago, BUFFALOBART said:

If ‘The Doctor’ is working the Medical Tent, then he is the one making the call. Who else is to blame? Do you think that the team has a secret ‘if Tua gets a concussion?’ Policy in advance?

Well… based on the eye test alone, one could question the team doctors, the head coach, the owner, teammates, Tua, etc.   He left the game with a head injury. He couldn’t stand on his own. He came back into the game after revising from a head injury to a back injury. Then they proceed to test him for concussions the following days… why?   You don’t think there was anything fishy (no pun intended) going on?  I sure do. 

• Thank you (+1) 1

55 minutes ago, Pete said:

one astute poster raised a great point.  The NFL was buying bull#### that is was a back and ankle injury.  Why didn't the NFL and Dolphins give back ankle tests and updates?

If I was a reporter, I would ask Miami coach- "I's got to know.  how is Tuas back?  He was obviously hurt.  How is Tuas ankle?"

Also if they didnt think it was a concussion then why did they check him throughout the week for a concussion?  If they were concerned enough that they doubted the initial prognosis then there should have been enough doubt to keep him out of the rest of the Bills game and put him in protocol.

• Agree 1
  • Thank you (+1) 2

21 minutes ago, Rc2catch said:

I think everyone knew he was in some form of trouble after the Bills game. But I think the majority agrees there’s a little more to the story than just one rogue doctor on gameday. 

I would think that any ethical Medical Professional, would not let team politics supersede a proper medical decision. This strikes me as incompetence, rather then a team conspiracy

26 minutes ago, ColoradoBills said:

The UNC doctor and the team physician both make the call.

Buffalo Channel 7 has this article that is short and concise of the procedures.

https://www.wkbw.com/news/local-news/faq-what-actually-happens-when-an-nfl-player-enters-concussion-protocol

I do like this part.

If the NFL Commissioner determines that a medical team failed to follow the protocol in order to win a game, the Commissioner can require the team to forfeit draft picks and impose fines that can exceed the amounts above.

Theres even a better part.  The NFL already issued a statement days ago that said Miami followed protocol.

Another interesting thing I found is that this is not the first time protocol was in question for Miami and it was found that they didnt follow protocol then either:

https://www.nfl.com/news/nfl-statement-on-matt-moore-concussion-protocol-review-0ap3000000779128

Heres a snip

The Miami Dolphins were notified in a letter co-signed by Dr. Hunt Batjer, Co-Chair of the NFL Head, Neck & Spine Committee and Dr. Thom Mayer, Medical Director for the NFLPA, that the NFL-NFLPA review determined that the Protocol was not strictly followed. The letter further advised the Dolphins that they must engage their staff in a full review of the Protocol and conduct additional education, if necessary. The Dolphins were also advised that any future deviation from the Protocol may result in enhanced discipline, including monetary fines assessed against the Club.

• Like (+1) 1
  • Thank you (+1) 1

1 hour ago, buffaloboyinATL said:

Fyi, there is a pretty good conversation on this, in the NFLPA investigation thread.  

I agree, the Dolphins are going to try and hide behind this. 

Dolphins kinda should hide behind this. If this independent doctor is saying Tua was fine, you would think the dolphins would just rely on that. 

I am curious how this works though behind the scenes— does the team doctor just defer to the independent guy? Do they examine him together and consult with each other? 

• Thank you (+1) 1

1 hour ago, Malazan said:

DeMaurice Smith is a moron. He fires this guy which gives a perfect scapegoat for the league and Dolphins. He should have been attacking the protocol and the team.

Oh, I'm sure he is. He doesn't have the power to fire team doctors like he did the UNC. I'm sure this is just Step 1. I'd be shocked if the Team Doctor survives this and the Dolphins don't face consequences. As minimal as Offense 1 violation punishment is.

1 hour ago, SlimShady'sSpaceForce said:

this one?

That looks an awful lot like his finger contortion against the Bengals. It just didn't happen for as long. 

But the idea that the doctor cleared him when this happened to his fingers right before he collapsed is gross incompetence. 

This topic is OLD. A NEW topic should be started unless there is a very specific reason to revive this one.