Von Miller played just 35 snaps vs the Rams

Inigo Montoya

43 minutes ago, Shaw66 said:

That play showed me something I didn't understand, which is that Miller linebacker-quality straight-ahead footspeed.   There aren't many defensive linemen who run like that. 

It seemed like the Bills front was utilizing Von on the edge more like a 3-4 OLB. Was he in a 3 point stand much at all? 

There were a ton of plays with only 3 down lineman, and some with both DE's standing up on the edge, alot like Fangio's front. 

• Like (+1) 1

3 hours ago, Magox said:

I suspect they will typically play Miller between 50-60% of the snaps.   The important seasonal games 55-65% and once we get to the playoffs 60-75% of the snaps.

About this is what I'd like. My guess is they'll be maybe just a bit higher but not running at what he did with the Rams last year.

His salary is guaranteed for three years. They don't want to burn him out early. If possible they'd love to see him here for five years.

Edited by Thurman#1
  • Like (+1) 1

28 minutes ago, BuffaloBill said:

I highly doubt this will be an issue if his numbers stay as good as they were in game #1.  Arguably a fresher Von later in the season will terrorize opposing o lines.

For sure, I hear you.

But this was also best case/perfect scenario for him.

Crushes his old team. Plays amazing. Team wins.

What happens if the bills lose, he only plays 55 percent of snaps, and he doesn't make an impact?

That is the picture I am trying to paint.

2 hours ago, Magox said:

I suspect they will typically play Miller between 50-60% of the snaps.   The important seasonal games 55-65% and once we get to the playoffs 60-75% of the snaps.

He played 67% of the snaps before they sat him for the final series.  That's about what I expect going forward as long as the games are close.

57 minutes ago, Rubes said:

Stafford isn't a great scrambler by any means, but I was still really impressed with how Basham chased him down on that one play and tackled him on the sidelines a yard behind the line of scrimmage for a sack. All effort.

And it was an inbound hit.  Stafford should have thrown the ball away but at angle he was at it might not have made it past line of scrimmage.  He is not Josh who can throw the ball from almost any angle.  I am glad he got his ring after suffering for years on Lions.

1 hour ago, Motorin' said:

It seemed like the Bills front was utilizing Von on the edge more like a 3-4 OLB. Was he in a 3 point stand much at all? 

There were a ton of plays with only 3 down lineman, and some with both DE's standing up on the edge, alot like Fangio's front. 

He was standing up most of the time, but he pretty much never dropped.   He always rushed, but if the play went away from him and he pursued, he pursued like a linebacker.  

I'm pretty sure he said when he came that he likes to play upright, but I also think he's made it clear that he's going to run the plays as they're called.  

• Like (+1) 1

21 hours ago, BillsFan130 said:

Let's just hope this doesn't piss Von off As he was pretty clear that he wants to be on the field as much as possible.

Although, it's only week 1 so I'm betting he slowly ramps up to 65-70 percent eventually.

I don’t think I will. He wants a to be on the field all the time, to impact the outcome of the game, and make headlines. If he can do that AND avoid additional wear and tear, hence extending his career, he will be happy.

Edited by buffaloboyinATL

Has anyone brought up that the heat may have been another reason to rest him the last few Rams drives?

9 hours ago, Motorin' said:

I noticed a snap where Greg was lined up way out wide too and won the rep. It’s good to see Leslie open to change and different looks. Obviously it was highly successful

Edited by Warriorspikes51
  • Like (+1) 3

12 hours ago, Boyst62 said:

Miller needs to be coached that if he plays 50% of the snaps he can essentially play half a season. This will extend his career, which is important. But even more important uses him strategically and efficiently to maximize his output potential.

You must be a politician or lawyer to state so much and really say nothing

• Haha (+1) 1

28 minutes ago, buffaloboyinATL said:

I don’t think I will. He wants a to be on he first elf all the time, to impact the outcome of the game, and make headlines. If he can do that AND avoid additional wear and tear, hence extending his career, he will be happy.

I am just going by what he said after the Bills signed him. He clearly stated he wants to be on the field as much as possible.

Has his stance changed? I would guess no as he is an ultimate competitor and is used to playing 75 percent plus snaps

10 hours ago, LabattBlue said:

If this continues, I’d be pissed if I was Miller.  Talent level needs to be factored into the rotation concept.  If not, McD and Frazier are going to have an unhappy player on their hands. 

Let me ask you, did Von Miller look pissed off in his comments after the game?

I didn't think so either.

• Like (+1) 1

I think most fans see the wisdom in reducing #40's career snap count trends and keeping him fresh all season (and for several seasons more). 

I'll share another reason that is pure rumor, but does originate from sources I sort of trust: a partner in the medical practice that does all the Bills screenings/imagings got overserved this summer and started carrying on about what a bad investment Von Miller was based on the condition of his knees. Incredibly unwise of this fairly esteemed doctor to share confidential medical information, and especially unwise to do so for a client like the Buffalo Bills. But the sharing DID happen. Whether it was accurately represented, or embellished, I can't ever know. But this medical expert thought the Bills were foolish to invest long-term in an athlete with such "old" and "deteriorated" knees. Not a lot of cartilage left, apparently.

I wonder how many veteran players would be similarly seen as high-risk based on their medicals? Maybe most of them?

I’m torn. A guy like Von Miller should see more than 50% of snaps. I believe in keeping your elite players on the field especially during the really important games. I guess it worked out in this case, but I really want him out there at least 75% especially against some of the later games like the Chiefs or Bengals. I guess things like age factor in and getting acclimated to a new team. Hopefully his reps increase a little bit more and I bet he feels the same way. This is my unpopular opinion.

This topic is OLD. A NEW topic should be started unless there is a very specific reason to revive this one.