Jimmy G takes pay cut, staying with Niners

YoloinOhio

1 minute ago, Warcodered said:

Well this has possible down the road QB controversy written all over it.

I generally agree.

But also there were some reports that he has sort of cashed it in. This might be a sign he’s ok being a career back up?

I don’t know. I’m just making stuff up at this point. 

• Haha (+1) 4

https://twitter.com/AdamSchefter/status/1564363001167319042

Sorry, not sure if I embedded properly. From Adam Schefter:

Jimmy Garoppolo and the 49ers agreed to a restructured one-year contract that will keep the QB in San Francisco this season, per sources. The contract contains no-trade and no-tag clauses, assuring Garoppolo will remain in SF this season and have the freedom to leave in 2023.

Edited by UKBillFan
Tweet in bold
  • Like (+1) 1

1 minute ago, BuffaloButt said:

Sounds like Jimmy doesn't like starting since he is always getting hurt.  Maybe he's content with just being a back up and feels he's made enough money already!  

He would have been the Seahawks or Browns opening day starter if he wanted to be!  

Browns had already ruled themselves out as they're going to apparently stick with Brissett until Watson has served his suspension.

As per Rapoport, sounds like Garoppolo was not that interested in going to the Seahawks.

Could be a good way to start a coaching career; help Lance through his first season as starter.

• Like (+1) 1

6 minutes ago, BuffaloButt said:

Sounds like Jimmy doesn't like starting since he is always getting hurt.  Maybe he's content with just being a back up and feels he's made enough money already!  

He would have been the Seahawks or Browns opening day starter if he wanted to be!  

Would rather take a pay cut 

• Haha (+1) 2

9 minutes ago, BuffaloButt said:

Falcons, Jets, and maybe Miami, wk3+, Giants wk2+ as well. That’s the only explanation, that he likes the backup job. Billy Volek is the only other QB I can recall who favored being a backup over starter opportunities. 

Edited by Charles Romes

15 minutes ago, Limeaid said:

Too realistic.  An agent would not want to make that deal since he would take a cut in commission.  Is Jimmy his own agent?

The agent doesn’t get to decide…Lance has looked bad in preseason…Jimmy may get an opportunity to start again with the 49ers, and the new contract makes him more tradable if something opens up during the season….

• Agree 1
  • Haha (+1) 1

2 minutes ago, mannc said:

The agent doesn’t get to decide…Lance has looked bad in preseason…Jimmy may get an opportunity to start again with the 49ers, and the new contract makes him more tradable if something opens up during the season….

I guess you missed the no trade part of the contract. 

• Agree 1

This topic is OLD. A NEW topic should be started unless there is a very specific reason to revive this one.