Bills special teams

Pete

who played gunner positions each preseason game? 
how did they do?

what were special teams snap counts each preseason game?

who are leaders snap counts?

I know Quintin Morris is 2

the only info I can find is this:

Preseason snap counts Denver 

Special Teams (24 snaps)

This game seemed to be a bit more about getting the actual roster to sync up than Week 1 was, so a few players who might find themselves on the 53 for special teams value might have been revealed.

While Tommy Sweeney was on the field 50% of the time for special teams, he was once again passed by Quintin Morris at 62%, who led the team on special teams time. Joe Giles-Harris saw 42% of snaps, as did Baylon Spector. Finally, Mike Love saw 50%.

Special teams looked bad. 

Taiwan and Crowder did not play a snap, making us believe they are on the team.

Duke Johnson looked very good.  Better than Cook. 

The entire OLine was very bad except for Alec Andreson (PS) and S. Brown. 

Morris was good.  Shakir was good. 

Elam was good, Bernard was bad.  Benford was a work in progress.

Shaq was good.  Boogie not so much.  

5 hours ago, Pete said:

https://twitter.com/SalSports/status/1563519735777886214?s=20&t=FCAf9_I4bLF316eO-z1syg

And this is not a punting thread- I’d like to figure out who Beanes last 5 cuts are.  Does he make a trade?

If they played Kumerow this few a snaps on teams and gave Hodgkins a good look it means they are seriously considering dumping Kumerow because his sole value is on teams. Any guy at WR6 must be a teams guy or he won’t be on this roster. 

• Agree 1

6 hours ago, Pete said:

And this is not a punting thread- I’d like to figure out who Beanes last 5 cuts are.  Does he make a trade?

This is awesome. Great info but not totally sure how it skews based on those comments. 

The Quintin Morris usage throws me off, but perhaps they really like him. Can't tell if more reps at this point means you're earning the position or that we're testing you out because we're not sure, but I think it's also very interesting to see Hodgins at 50+% ST reps. Clearly trying to see what he can contribute. By that logic it would seem the 10-20% of reps for Kumerow, Howard, Johnson indicates that they're gone? Could have it completely flipped in which case they're safe and high usage = cuts, but I don't think so. Would seem like a stretch to conserve all of Kumerow, Howard, Johnson.

47 minutes ago, machine gun kelly said:

Please God, no.  I hope the mods are strict on this one.  Everything that can be said, has been said already.

"Everything that can be said, has been said already." And like most meeting at work, not everyone has said it yet, so the meeting, the threads, will drag on-and-on.

• Like (+1) 1
  • Haha (+1) 1

34 minutes ago, CSBill said:

"Everything that can be said, has been said already." And like most meeting at work, not everyone has said it yet, so the meeting, the threads, will drag on-and-on.

Sometimes, when I’d see the old guys starting to get restless , I’d ask a stupid question just to keep the meeting going😅

• Haha (+1) 1

5 hours ago, Locomark said:

If they played Kumerow this few a snaps on teams and gave Hodgkins a good look it means they are seriously considering dumping Kumerow because his sole value is on teams. Any guy at WR6 must be a teams guy or he won’t be on this roster. 

I’m personally not a big Hodgins guy. I think Kumerow is a pretty good ST player and I haven’t seen that from Hodgins. As a WR I’d give Hodgins the nod, but it’s marginal at best. 

obviously another deciding factor for WR6 will be how well they can block on offense. Haven’t really noticed Hodgins as a good blocker, but I can be wrong. 

1 hour ago, BearNorth said:

I know Taiwan when he came into the league had a gaudy 4.33 40 time.  Blackshear ran a 4.51. 

Taiwan also has 500k guaranteed, so they won't save any money this year going with the cheaper rookie.

Bills coaches consider Taiwan a special teams superstar.  Taiwan is not going anywhere.

• Like (+1) 1

This team is obsessed with ST. There has never been a time where kickoffs/Kick returns were less important. They are literally getting phased out of the league for safety reasons. You can basically just kick every ball out of the end zone. Punts are hardly any different. Most of the time it’s fair caught or a penalty is called. There are so few active game day roster spots available and we constantly overvalue STs guy. I’m not saying completely ignore it but it’s nowhere near as important as offense or defense. Especially in this day and age. The only guys on the roster that should be strictly ST are the K/P/LS. We constantly make guys that can help us score inactive (in favor of ST) And the worst part about it is, we aren’t even that good on ST. If it was an elite unit that was helping us win games, fine.

• Like (+1) 1

On 8/28/2022 at 8:50 AM, Brianmoorman4jesus said:

This team is obsessed with ST. There has never been a time where kickoffs/Kick returns were less important. They are literally getting phased out of the league for safety reasons. You can basically just kick every ball out of the end zone. Punts are hardly any different. Most of the time it’s fair caught or a penalty is called. There are so few active game day roster spots available and we constantly overvalue STs guy. I’m not saying completely ignore it but it’s nowhere near as important as offense or defense. Especially in this day and age. The only guys on the roster that should be strictly ST are the K/P/LS. We constantly make guys that can help us score inactive (in favor of ST) And the worst part about it is, we aren’t even that good on ST. If it was an elite unit that was helping us win games, fine.

Except for last years playoff loss…. But that was coaching. Coverage teams do matter. If you looked at the preseason they did a lot of kicking only 3 yards deep in the corner of the end zone. They want teams to start < 25 yard line. 

50 minutes ago, Locomark said:

Except for last years playoff loss…. But that was coaching. Coverage teams do matter. If you looked at the preseason they did a lot of kicking only 3 yards deep in the corner of the end zone. They want teams to start < 25 yard line. 

I know what happened and it’s easy to say it was a mistake….I would have kicked it out of the end zone. You have 13 seconds. You are the number 1 defense in football….Make a stop.

This topic is OLD. A NEW topic should be started unless there is a very specific reason to revive this one.