Matt Araiza accused of rape, served with a lawsuit.

bill8164

17 minutes ago, Beck Water said:

I think there's more to the Bills decision than fear of public backlash.  I think it's going to drag on through the season, and be divisive in the locker room even if social media gets wiped off the planet tomorrow and the media is milquetoast.  Look at how divided we are here.  The locker room probably has a similar diversity of views.

But that's just me.

I’m sure this will sound mean but it’s not intended to be, it’s just an observation. Based on the number of keystrokes you have thrown at this, it’s a topic you are keenly interested in, if not obsessed with. It’s possible that you are in a minority in that regard. Diversity of views in the locker room doesn’t automatically mean division. Those guys may not like every single guy they share a locker room with but they are damn near brothers. I suspect the coalescing around the goal of a championship far exceeds the impact of this hurdle. A hurdle they will clear far in advance of those on the outside looking in. 

20 minutes ago, JDHillFan said:

I’m sure this will sound mean but it’s not intended to be, it’s just an observation. Based on the number of keystrokes you have thrown at this, it’s a topic you are keenly interested in, if not obsessed with. It’s possible that you are in a minority in that regard. Diversity of views in the locker room doesn’t automatically mean division. Those guys may not like every single guy they share a locker room with but they are damn near brothers. I suspect the coalescing around the goal of a championship far exceeds the impact of this hurdle. A hurdle they will clear far in advance of those on the outside looking in. 

So, what's your experience with the inside of football locker rooms? 

I think we need to understand that to evaluate your understanding of and ability to assess what the actual impact of having a guy in the locker room being sued for a horrific gang rape of a young woman, with continued peaks in frenzied media coverage and social media opining as witnesses are deposed, other trial news emerges, DA makes a decision on charges.

The whole "it's possible that I am in a minority in that regard" is just kinda weird. 

I will add that I hope you're correct that coalescing around the goal of a championship exceeds the impact of these events, because I've been waiting a damned long time to see another Bills championship since the 1964/1965 seasons I watched with my Gramps.

PS When someone says "no offense but" that means they're about to say something they know is offensive, and they're trying to avert responsibility for that.  Your "this will sound mean but" thing sounds like its kissin' cousin.  No offense, of course.

Edited by Beck Water
  • Sad 1

47 minutes ago, Doc said:

Thanks.  Didn't see that linked 4 days ago.

That was the interview where a lot of us learned that Araiza isn't disputing that he had sex with her but didn't force her into anything, and his lawyer put out the idea that one of the other teammates mentioned in the law suit "is in a very different position" in relation to being charged.

This is where we leaned that Araiza knew of the accusations in the fall of 2021 and his attorney said "you better believe he" informed the NFL of those accusations. But the attorney has walked that back and the NFL says Araiza didn't inform them.

The Bills wouldn't have been in the position they were in if Araiza didn't withold the info that he was under investigation for an alleged rape. Because the Bills wouldn't have drafted him. 

Such a strange situation the way it was handled on social media and both attorneys comments etc.  It got me that Gilleon said an apology by Araiza and donation to a rape survivors charity would’ve likely been enough. That she wasn’t after a money grab or shakedown. 

10 minutes ago, zow2 said:

Such a strange situation the way it was handled on social media and both attorneys comments etc.  It got me that Gilleon said an apology by Araiza and donation to a rape survivors charity would’ve likely been enough. That she wasn’t after a money grab or shakedown.

Let's just say, I don't believe Gellion on that point about the apology/donation.  He's doing a lot of social media grandstanding.  Among other things, he's got to know Araisa has to step very carefully while the DA has the criminal file and he could still face charges.  An apology and donation could potentially be taken as an admission of guilt.

I do think it's clear at this point it wasn't a "money grab", but from his initial texts to Araiza that wasn't so clear.

1 hour ago, muppy said:

I explained my reaction to warcodered

Right, but you said in that reaction "they apparently dropped the ball"

If they had 20 officers working on it and executed all those search warrants and reviewed 3 terrabytes of electronic data....how did they drop the ball?

Edited by Beck Water

7 minutes ago, Beck Water said:

Let's just say, I don't believe Gellion on that point about the apology/donation.  He's doing a lot of social media grandstanding.

I do think it's clear at this point it wasn't a "money grab", but from his initial texts to Araiza that wasn't so clear.

Seems pretty clear they were laser focused on nuking Araiza, destroying his career, getting justice/pound of flesh and some monetary restitution.  So job well done by her attorney i guess.  It’s just strange how nothing happened in that year leading up to this week. 

• Agree 1

1 minute ago, zow2 said:

Seems pretty clear they were laser focused on nuking Araiza, destroying his career, getting justice/pound of flesh and some monetary restitution.  So job well done by her attorney i guess.  It’s just strange how nothing happened in that year leading up to this week. 

Yeah, it is.

The DA got the police investigation August 5.

I'm told that the DA's office normally keeps the alleged victim/victim's attorney in the loop, so possibly the attorney was informed that Araiza would not face charges?

The other possibility I see is that they feel they are being stonewalled and stonewalled and stonewalled and not informed of the progress by the police.  Meanwhile the SDSU Aztecs are about to start a new football season with one of the alleged perpetrators on the roster and the Bills are about to start a new season with Araiza as their "Punt God".  So they got "mad as hell" and decided "they weren't going to take it any more"

• Like (+1) 2
  • Agree 2

20 minutes ago, Beck Water said:

Let's just say, I don't believe Gellion on that point about the apology/donation.  He's doing a lot of social media grandstanding.  Among other things, he's got to know Araisa has to step very carefully while the DA has the criminal file and he could still face charges.  An apology and donation could potentially be taken as an admission of guilt.

Right, but you said in that reaction "they apparently dropped the ball"

If they had 20 officers working on it and executed all those search warrants and reviewed 3 terrabytes of electronic data....how did they drop the ball?

well in retrospect I guess by not making an announcement that the investigation is concluded and no charges will be filed?  It was only when the lawsuit was announced after the draft had concluded that has exacerbated this entire situation. IMO

Edited by muppy

7 minutes ago, zow2 said:

I had to block someone on a Twitter who I've followed for a while who has really taken the Araiza thing too far. This person was stomping for him to get cut. Okay. But now they are gloating about his family's death threats! I'm sure they think they are being heroes but they've become a monsters.

• Like (+1) 5
  • Agree 1
  • Thank you (+1) 2

6 minutes ago, PromoTheRobot said:

I had to block someone on a Twitter who I've followed for a while who has really taken the Araiza thing too far. This person was stomping for him to get cut. Okay. But now they are gloating about his family's death threats! I'm sure they think they are being heroes but they've become a monsters.

Jesu, the world has some sick *****, gloating about death threats.

They're awfully brave behind a Twitter account, I wonder how they'd fare F2F

10 minutes ago, muppy said:

well in retrospect I guess by not making an announcement that the investigation is concluded and no charges will be filed?

Mupster, Love ya, but the police can't make an announcement that no charges will be filed.  That's the DA's biz

The police did announce August 5 that the investigation was submitted to the DA. 

The DA says they are still considering charges and have no timeline for a decision

Edited by Beck Water
  • Thank you (+1) 1

5 minutes ago, Beck Water said:

Jesu, the world has some sick *****, gloating about death threats.

They're awfully brave behind a Twitter account, I wonder how they'd fare F2F

Mupster, Love ya, but the police can't make an announcement that no charges will be filed.  That's the DA's biz

The police did announce August 5 that the investigation was submitted to the DA. 

The DA says they are still considering charges and have no timeline for a decision

okay the DA make an annoncement then. Im out of this thread Im better off lurking .

• Like (+1) 1

1 minute ago, muppy said:

okay the DA make an annoncement then. Im out of this thread Im better off lurking .

Listen…. 
Go draw a warm bath.. Light some candles… Maybe even dim the lights a little… And read the 283 pages of this thread. Sadly I think I have since this began and now I feel like I can go pass the California bar exam.. 

Of course I’m joking, there are sooooo many working pieces to all this and sooooooo many questions of how/why/when/who it’s impossible to keep up 

• Thank you (+1) 1

18 minutes ago, PromoTheRobot said:

Such little empathy in the mobs.

• Agree 1

2 hours ago, strive_for_five_guy said:

Wtf is wrong with this guy.  He complains that no one has been taking him seriously, meanwhile he’s throwing insults left and right.  Does he really care about the victim he is supposedly representing, or more worried about the attention for himself?

Just based on the lawyers actions alone it really reads like he was trying hard to bully araiza into a settlement before the season started.  I have a feeling they are keeping him updated on the criminal case and he’s got a pretty good idea araiza is not going to be charged.  Of course these lawyers are absolute nutjobs so their actions may be impossible to read into.

leaking the diary still makes absolutely no sense to me…he has this intricate retelling of events in the civil suit then releases a diary that basically says the victim has no idea who brought her to the room or who was in it

couple that with the suit mentioning they had an earlier sexual encounter and he just put together a defense for the opposition 

Edited by Generic_Bills_Fan

33 minutes ago, Generic_Bills_Fan said:

Just based on the lawyers actions alone it really reads like he was trying hard to bully araiza into a settlement before the season started.  I have a feeling they are keeping him updated on the criminal case and he’s got a pretty good idea araiza is not going to be charged.  Of course these lawyers are absolute nutjobs so their actions may be impossible to read into.

Word. 

I read Gellion's tweets and, after I burn sage and perform an eyeball-cleansing ritual, I have an overpowering impulse to listen to Weird Al Yankovic's epic commentary "Everything You Know is Wrong" and hoping that the rabid wolverine stays out of my underwear.

I can't make the guy out.  I can usually do a good job putting myself into someone's worldview and understanding how what they do makes sense from where they're coming from.  I can't get there at all with him.

Edited by Beck Water
  • Like (+1) 2

38 minutes ago, Beck Water said:

I can't make the guy out.  I can usually do a good job putting myself into someone's worldview and understanding how what they do makes sense from where they're coming from.  I can't get there at all with him.

Cui bono.

You know the name of someone you didn't know existed a week ago.

• Like (+1) 1

1 hour ago, PromoTheRobot said:

That's the benefit of being "Jane Doe."  Ashley Solsis reported death threats against her after her Watson accusations.  

51 minutes ago, Beck Water said:

Can you please explain Antonio Brown for me?

Edited by Doc Brown

3 hours ago, zow2 said:

Right because on-campus rape is so often swiftly dealt with and justice usually prevails.  Except it rarely does. Most of the time it goes unreported. And then the schools and the coaches can help cover up the truth.  We should applaud her strength in going to the police the next day.  

• Agree 2