Jump to content

Help me understand an OBJ trade


Behindenemylines
 Share

Recommended Posts

1 hour ago, Jauronimo said:

Any deal we sign him to will be a 2 month rental with virtually no risk.  He gets to ring chase and we get a risk-free option on big play OBJ.  If hes back to 90% speed by the playoffs, just having him out there for 10 snaps a game to give the defense something to think about is worth it in my opinion

 

He jumped in and immediately played meaningful snaps in LA while having no time with their playbook.  Look at Week 11 and beyond.  

 

https://www.lineups.com/nfl/snap-counts  

 

I get the idea of disruption of the core offense but hasn't been much of an issue in Tampa or LA where great receivers joined teams with already potent offenses.



Not to mention Diggs openly said he wants him 

Link to comment
Share on other sites

19 minutes ago, Airseven said:

There's nothing to understand. It doesn't make sense and it won't happen. Bills have terrific WR depth with a good mix of vets and youth and ability. Beckham is an obnoxious, overrated media darling at this point in his career.


I'm sorry....did you not watch the Rams playoff games? He had 26 for 288 and 2 TD's  He would have been the SB Mvp if not for the injury 

Link to comment
Share on other sites

3 hours ago, Warriorspikes51 said:


Howard tore his Achilles I think?

I would love OBJ as late season insurance (hopefully everyone stays healthy) and because no defense can handle our 3 or 4 WR set at that point 

 

Ah, I had thought it was an ACL.  Achilles I would grade as worse in terms of coming back to form from, but ACL's can also take players until their 2nd season back to fully recover from.  Even our own Tre White is no guarantee to be his old self this season which is why I like having more depth a CB this year too.  

 

So for OBJ, I still say its 100% going to come down to a football decision, not a locker room concern as I don't really think anyone across the NFL really has that concern for him anymore.  And I am not sure he will make football sense unless we have some injuries.  I mean who do you take snaps away from?  Not Diggs or Davis, and we are deep at slot with McKenzie, Shakir, and Crowder.  

 

I guess they could cut someone like Crowder, but still, you have McKenzie and Shakir that have been garnering rave reviews from everyone on the team that still will be there for those snaps.  

 

OBJ will also likely get more snaps if he goes back to Rams having already been there, knowing the system, and being able to probably be the #3 guy right away behind Kupp and Robinson.  

 

So while I would not be against signing him, I just don't see it making a lot of sense for either side unless we are dealing with some injuries.  

 

 

Link to comment
Share on other sites

3 hours ago, Jauronimo said:

Any deal we sign him to will be a 2 month rental with virtually no risk.  He gets to ring chase and we get a risk-free option on big play OBJ.  If hes back to 90% speed by the playoffs, just having him out there for 10 snaps a game to give the defense something to think about is worth it in my opinion

 

He jumped in and immediately played meaningful snaps in LA while having no time with their playbook.  Look at Week 11 and beyond.  

 

https://www.lineups.com/nfl/snap-counts  

 

I get the idea of disruption of the core offense but hasn't been much of an issue in Tampa or LA where great receivers joined teams with already potent offenses.

 

I get that, but who do you take snaps away from to get him on the field?  Not Diggs or Davis, and we are 3 deep at slot as it is with rave reviews coming out on both McKenzie and Shakir and still having Crowder too.

 

If those guys are producing and performing well from the slot, do we really want to take them off the field for a guy coming off an ACL who doesn't know the offense yet?  Josh Allen plays a LOT of improvisation on the field, that is harder to walk in and adapt to because the QB needs to know the WR and what he is going to do and vice versa.  

 

Like I said in another reply, I am not against signing him, I am just not sure it makes a lot of football sense for him or us, especially since he could have a bigger role on the reigning SB Champs he just played with.  

Link to comment
Share on other sites

4 minutes ago, Alphadawg7 said:

 

I get that, but who do you take snaps away from to get him on the field?  Not Diggs or Davis, and we are 3 deep at slot as it is with rave reviews coming out on both McKenzie and Shakir and still having Crowder too.

 

If those guys are producing and performing well from the slot, do we really want to take them off the field for a guy coming off an ACL who doesn't know the offense yet?  Josh Allen plays a LOT of improvisation on the field, that is harder to walk in and adapt to because the QB needs to know the WR and what he is going to do and vice versa.  

 

Like I said in another reply, I am not against signing him, I am just not sure it makes a lot of football sense for him or us, especially since he could have a bigger role on the reigning SB Champs he just played with.  

A healthy OBJ would absolutely take snaps away from Shakir, McKenzie, and Crowder.  Davis can play all over the field.  I think Gabe would feast with OBJ and Diggs on opposite boundaries.  A game ready OBJ expands the playbook.  OBJ was playing 50 snaps a game after two weeks with the LAR playbook.

 

Injuries have been a factor at WR the past 2 playoff runs. 

 

I picture OBJ coming in and going 2 for 2 for 70 yards and a TD in the AFC Championship game and having 4 catches for 80 in a lopsided super bowl victory.  

Link to comment
Share on other sites

2 minutes ago, Alphadawg7 said:

 

I get that, but who do you take snaps away from to get him on the field?  Not Diggs or Davis, and we are 3 deep at slot as it is with rave reviews coming out on both McKenzie and Shakir and still having Crowder too.

 

If those guys are producing and performing well from the slot, do we really want to take them off the field for a guy coming off an ACL who doesn't know the offense yet?  Josh Allen plays a LOT of improvisation on the field, that is harder to walk in and adapt to because the QB needs to know the WR and what he is going to do and vice versa.  

 

Like I said in another reply, I am not against signing him, I am just not sure it makes a lot of football sense for him or us, especially since he could have a bigger role on the reigning SB Champs he just played with.  

 

That's the question and likely won't know til later into the season. Depends who has been least productive or struggled during that time. That would be my guess if it were to happen

Link to comment
Share on other sites

3 minutes ago, Jauronimo said:

A healthy OBJ would absolutely take snaps away from Shakir, McKenzie, and Crowder.  Davis can play all over the field.  I think Gabe would feast with OBJ and Diggs on opposite boundaries.  A game ready OBJ expands the playbook.  OBJ was playing 50 snaps a game after two weeks with the LAR playbook.

 

Injuries have been a factor at WR the past 2 playoff runs. 

 

I picture OBJ coming in and going 2 for 2 for 70 yards and a TD in the AFC Championship game and having 4 catches for 80 in a lopsided super bowl victory.  

 

Again, playing WR here is more complicated than playing WR for the Rams, all our players have said this.  Between our highly complicated offense and the added dimension of how much our QB improvises on the fly, its not the same thing as walking into a team with a traditional pocket passer.  

 

Second, you again are presuming he is healthy and close to what he was, that is not the most plausible scenario though.  Sure it's possible, but the more common scenario is that OBJ won't get back to close to where he was until next season.  It takes time to over come not only the physical side of things once back on the field, but also the mental.    

 

Again, not against signing him, I am just talking about how likely it is.  And if our receivers are healthy and playing well, I think its more likely OBJ signs back with the Rams where he will also have a bigger role.  

  • Like (+1) 1
Link to comment
Share on other sites

8 minutes ago, Alphadawg7 said:

 

Again, playing WR here is more complicated than playing WR for the Rams, all our players have said this.  Between our highly complicated offense and the added dimension of how much our QB improvises on the fly, its not the same thing as walking into a team with a traditional pocket passer.  

 

Second, you again are presuming he is healthy and close to what he was, that is not the most plausible scenario though.  Sure it's possible, but the more common scenario is that OBJ won't get back to close to where he was until next season.  It takes time to over come not only the physical side of things once back on the field, but also the mental.    

 

Again, not against signing him, I am just talking about how likely it is.  And if our receivers are healthy and playing well, I think its more likely OBJ signs back with the Rams where he will also have a bigger role.  

All of our players have said playing WR in our offense is more complicated than in the Rams system?  I'll need to see a source for this.   Pretty sure OBJ can figure out a pro offense and run a scramble drill.

 

We are discussing how he fits in the Bills offense which comes with the assumption that hes healthy enough to get on the field and perform at a high level.  I am not making any predictions on the timeline of his recovery.  Were you discussing how he fits into this offense under the hypothetical that hes still on crutches?

  • Like (+1) 1
Link to comment
Share on other sites

  • 3 weeks later...

Anyone still think there's no room for OBJ on this team? A lot can change for depth in a short time.

 

People were very quick to forget AFCCG loss to the chiefs and how every WR was banged up hobbled like today. We won't deal with heat like today, but going in with someone like Gabe out will happen again, whether its ankle or hammy or hand or whatever.

 

That late season juice is very welcomed and I hope today is enough of a wake up call, that we decide to bring in the best avail FA Weapon we can get our hands on

  • Like (+1) 1
  • Disagree 1
  • Agree 3
Link to comment
Share on other sites

9 hours ago, SlimShady'sSpaceForce said:

IT 

 

WILL

 

NEVER

 

HAPPEN 

 

Why do you say that?  And why are you yelling?  
Do you have inside information?  Or can you articulate your belief?   Or is that only just your opinion stated as fact?
Every player in NFL knows Buffalo is a top notch organization, and we are a desired destination with this juggernaut Bills team.

ODB had been flirting with Bills.  And speed is needed at WR.   Injuries have taken their toll.  And Beane is always looking to improve the roster.  ODB might be some fresh air to late playoff push

Link to comment
Share on other sites

32 minutes ago, Pete said:

Why do you say that?  And why are you yelling?  
Do you have inside information?  Or can you articulate your belief?   Or is that only just your opinion stated as fact?
Every player in NFL knows Buffalo is a top notch organization, and we are a desired destination with this juggernaut Bills team.

ODB had been flirting with Bills.  And speed is needed at WR.   Injuries have taken their toll.  And Beane is always looking to improve the roster.  ODB might be some fresh air to late playoff push


 

OBJ is not going to be a Bill. 
 

 

  • Agree 1
Link to comment
Share on other sites

8 hours ago, SlimShady'sSpaceForce said:


 

OBJ is not going to be a Bill. 
 

 

Says you lol.

 

 I asked for you to explain.  Can you you substantiate?  I guess your opinion should be viewed as facts by all.

 

do you have it everyone?  OBJ will not be a Bills because Slim Shady says so!

Edited by Pete
  • Eyeroll 1
Link to comment
Share on other sites

1 hour ago, Pete said:

Says you lol.

 I asked for you to explain.  Can you you substantiate?  I guess your opinion should be viewed as facts by all.

 

do you have it everyone?  OBJ will not be a Bills because Slim Shady says so!

 

Damn straight Skippy FFS 

How many more times MUST I explain it in 1 thread? 

 

1. The Bills just don’t need him 

 

Period EOS. 

 

Want more?

 

2. He’s hardly ever proven to be a Process guy. 


what makes me certain he won’t?

 

3.  WHEN HAS ANY TRADE BEEN PUBLICIZED by the Bills in the past 5 years!!!!!!!!!

 

 

 

 

8 hours ago, Mr. WEO said:

lol this bump.

 

OBJ is a guy sitting at home on his twice repaired torn ACL....and he's going to be the WR injury insurance for this team a few months from now...


there is another 

58 minutes ago, Big Turk said:

There would be no trade, he is a UFA


and another 

On 9/8/2022 at 4:22 PM, Alphadawg7 said:

 

Again, playing WR here is more complicated than playing WR for the Rams, all our players have said this.  Between our highly complicated offense and the added dimension of how much our QB improvises on the fly, its not the same thing as walking into a team with a traditional pocket passer.  

 

Second, you again are presuming he is healthy and close to what he was, that is not the most plausible scenario though.  Sure it's possible, but the more common scenario is that OBJ won't get back to close to where he was until next season.  It takes time to over come not only the physical side of things once back on the field, but also the mental.    

 

Again, not against signing him, I am just talking about how likely it is.  And if our receivers are healthy and playing well, I think its more likely OBJ signs back with the Rams where he will also have a bigger role.  


and another 

Tell me when you get it 

Edited by SlimShady'sSpaceForce
  • Haha (+1) 1
Link to comment
Share on other sites

This topic is OLD. A NEW topic should be started unless there is a very specific reason to revive this one.

Join the conversation

You can post now and register later. If you have an account, sign in now to post with your account.

Guest
Reply to this topic...

×   Pasted as rich text.   Restore formatting

  Only 75 emoji are allowed.

×   Your link has been automatically embedded.   Display as a link instead

×   Your previous content has been restored.   Clear editor

×   You cannot paste images directly. Upload or insert images from URL.

Loading...
 Share

×
×
  • Create New...