Impact of Dobbs and Abortion Laws

18 minutes ago, B-Man said:

A classic example of the Associated Press using an opinion piece as a 'news' story.

All innuendo, all liberal quotes.

Yep, just like most all reporting has gone nowadays. Even football... "we need clicks". Glad PBS news is still around... Fox News is solid as well. BBC is okay.

3 hours ago, Tiberius said:

Love how all the GOP candidates are calling for Federal Abortion bans. Ya, a state's rights issue. Ok 

I have no idea why they can’t present a cohesive national position on this topic. 

Is it states rights or not?

If it’s states rights, then the Presidential candidates have an easy out on this topic and can just refer it back to the states. 

Yet they can’t help themselves and continue to give ammo to the left to define them on this issue.  

If they want a federal law on this, say so .. and say what you want.   15 weeks would probably be pretty safe, given that’s where the vast majority of women are on this issue and they can also point to Europe, while pointing out that states like Cali, NY, VA etc., are wildly outside the western world mainstream on this issue.  

Heartbeat bans are going to be a very tough sell outside red states and the south. 

• Like (+1) 1

Focus on the Family Pro-Life Ad Is Hysterical—yet Profound

The spot continues in that vein, showing various happy expectant couples and their families overjoyed by their pregnancies—but in each instance, they refer to the future baby as a fetus.

As several more scenes play out, a female narrator intones:

Focus on the Family would like to remind you that no matter where you are on your pregnancy journey, call it what you want, but the truth does not change.

It’s still a baby.

https://redstate.com/bobhoge/2023/06/25/fetus-on-board-focus-on-the-family-pro-life-ad-is-hysterical-yet-profound-n766943

• Like (+1) 1

In North Carolina on Saturday, Vice President Harris delivered a stirring speech, stressing that “extremist Republicans in Congress have proposed to ban abortion nationwide. Nationwide. But I have news for them: We’re not having that.” She added: “The majority of Americans, I do believe, agree that one does not have to abandon their faith or deeply held beliefs to agree the government should not be telling her what to do with her body.”

Moreover, Democrats leave little doubt they will put abortion front and center in 2024. On Friday, Pelosi vowed, “It played a big role in the last election. It will be even bigger in the next election.” Democrats clearly recognize that abortion access unites Democrats, independents and many Republicans. Harris, pointing out that 23 million women live in states with “extreme” abortion bans, declared on Saturday, “All of us are now called upon to advance the promise of freedom.”

https://www.washingtonpost.com/opinions/2023/06/26/dobbs-ruling-anniversary-health-political-fallout/

Sounds like Biden just came out against elective third trimester abortion. 

That shouldn’t be noteworthy in a civilized society, but here we are .. and it’s, at least, notable. 

8 minutes ago, SCBills said:

Sounds like Biden just came out against elective third trimester abortion. 

That shouldn’t be noteworthy in a civilized society, but here we are .. and it’s, at least, notable. 

Link? 

12 minutes ago, Pokebball said:

I'm not sure he's supporting making it illegal in the 3rd trimester though. 

We’ll see .. I’m sure he won’t push to make it illegal due to PP’s death grip on his party, but this is pretty clear..

"The next three months is between, I mean, just a woman and her family," Biden continued. "Next three months is between a woman and her doctor. The last three months have to be negotiated, because you can’t — unless you are in a position where your physical health is at stake you can’t do it."

12 minutes ago, SCBills said:

We’ll see .. I’m sure he won’t push to make it illegal due to PP’s death grip on his party, but this is pretty clear..

"The next three months is between, I mean, just a woman and her family," Biden continued. "Next three months is between a woman and her doctor. The last three months have to be negotiated, because you can’t — unless you are in a position where your physical health is at stake you can’t do it."

It's easy for him to support making it illegal. We'll see.

I think it would go a long way towards bringing the country to an acceptable compromise. I don't think he's willing to go there.

Edited by Pokebball
  • Agree 1

Shameful.

Maine legalizing abortion up to the moment of birth

This legislation seems rather vague, perhaps purposefully so. As to what is being changed, the state’s current law allows abortions until the baby is “viable outside the womb” at roughly 24 weeks or six months. In other words, it allows the procedure in the first two trimesters, but not the third. There is an exception in the current law for conditions that put the mother’s life at risk.

Under the new law, there would still be a cap at 24 weeks, but would allow exceptions after that “if deemed medically necessary by a doctor.” But what does that even mean? Are there reasons other than endangering the life of the mother that would apply? I suppose if something went terribly wrong and the fetus was no longer viable, that might apply. One of the bill’s sponsors, state Senator Jill Dusan seemed to suggest that. She said the bill was intended to help women “who face the unimaginable.”

But if that was the true intent of the bill (and the only intent) why not expand the current language to simply exempt conditions that place “the mother’s life or the baby’s life at risk?” That seems as if it would offer a lot more clarity.

https://hotair.com/jazz-shaw/2023/06/28/maine-legalizing-abortion-up-to-the-moment-of-birth-n561213

More Maine depravity.

Maine Democrats Kill Amendment to Ban Trafficking of Aborted Baby Remains

Maine state Senate Democrats blocked a proposed amendment on Tuesday to a late-term abortion bill that would have placed a four-year moratorium on the trafficking of fetal remains leftover from late-term abortions, the Maine Wire reported. 

https://www.themainewire.com/2023/06/maine-senate-blocks-ban-on-trafficking-in-aborted-baby-parts/

13 minutes ago, Tiberius said:

You should really check before you post hysterics like this.

Of course, even his opening line is a lie.  (This was always going to happen when these idiots outlawed abortion care in every form)

Hedrick Medical Center will still offer all OB/GYN services at their 25 bed facility, other than delivery.

Meanwhile patients can go their affiliated hospital, St Luke's North a 160 bed facility, or any of the other three hospitals in K.C.

"crusade against modern medical care is going to kill women and children."   equals  "we will say anything to keep abortion going"

On 6/29/2023 at 9:16 AM, B-Man said:

Shameful.

Maine legalizing abortion up to the moment of birth

This legislation seems rather vague, perhaps purposefully so. As to what is being changed, the state’s current law allows abortions until the baby is “viable outside the womb” at roughly 24 weeks or six months. In other words, it allows the procedure in the first two trimesters, but not the third. There is an exception in the current law for conditions that put the mother’s life at risk.

Under the new law, there would still be a cap at 24 weeks, but would allow exceptions after that “if deemed medically necessary by a doctor.” But what does that even mean? Are there reasons other than endangering the life of the mother that would apply? I suppose if something went terribly wrong and the fetus was no longer viable, that might apply. One of the bill’s sponsors, state Senator Jill Dusan seemed to suggest that. She said the bill was intended to help women “who face the unimaginable.”

But if that was the true intent of the bill (and the only intent) why not expand the current language to simply exempt conditions that place “the mother’s life or the baby’s life at risk?” That seems as if it would offer a lot more clarity.

https://hotair.com/jazz-shaw/2023/06/28/maine-legalizing-abortion-up-to-the-moment-of-birth-n561213

So I’m going to both sides this argument

No, it is not OK to abort like literally right up until birth not OK

But

Six weeks on the other end of this spectrum is also ridiculous. Most women don’t even know they’re pregnant at six weeks.

The bottom line is this the optics for taking away women’s rights are just bad. It looks like major regression, which should’ve been done is there should’ve been a national term where you can abort that is not right up to birth, and certainly not six weeks

This is going to be a problem for the right come election time because the far right is starting to get ridiculous on this because of what the Supreme Court did. I saw a podcast last night that some idiot was complaining about women’s contraception and condoms. The polls on this are coming out very unfavorably to the right.

• Agree 1

49 minutes ago, John from Riverside said:

So I’m going to both sides this argument

No, it is not OK to abort like literally right up until birth not OK

But

Six weeks on the other end of this spectrum is also ridiculous. Most women don’t even know they’re pregnant at six weeks.

The bottom line is this the optics for taking away women’s rights are just bad. It looks like major regression, which should’ve been done is there should’ve been a national term where you can abort that is not right up to birth, and certainly not six weeks

This is going to be a problem for the right come election time because the far right is starting to get ridiculous on this because of what the Supreme Court did. 

That's why it should be a state issue.

The Supreme Court ruled accurately that there is no guarantee in the Constitution of the right to abortion based on a right to privacy issue.

That's their mandate. Not on ruling on what is politically popular.

Let the states do it with local involvement, as it should be. 

14 minutes ago, sherpa said:

That's why it should be a state issue.

The Supreme Court ruled accurately that there is no guarantee in the Constitution of the right to abortion based on a right to privacy issue.

That's their mandate. Not on ruling on what is politically popular.

Let the states do it with local involvement, as it should be. 

Regardless, it will be a political issue

They have basically taken rights away from women

It will be remembered at the ballot box

• Like (+1) 1
  • Agree 1

I have no doubt that it will "remembered at the ballot box," but political outcome is not the purview of the Supreme Court.

They have ruled that a Constitutional right didn't exist under a right to privacy.

Others have chosen the political goal over their expressed religious affiliation. I can name a guy if you want.

Chips fall. 

• Like (+1) 1
  • Dislike 1

6 minutes ago, sherpa said:

I have no doubt that it will "remembered at the ballot box," but political outcome is not the purview of the Supreme Court.

They have ruled that a Constitutional right didn't exist under a right to privacy.

Others have chosen the political goal over their expressed religious affiliation. I can name a guy if you want.

Chips fall. 

I’m not sure how you can say. It’s not a political issue.

The Supreme Court is majority right wing the right has been trying to put this in front of them for years. They made a ruling on it that supported the right.

I have no idea just how much it’s going to sway voters in the next election, but it doesn’t sound good for the right because it’s a defense that they cannot make this got put in front of the Supreme Court in someway these things don’t just happen

To be perfectly honest, I’m surprised that the left has not been making moves to pack the court

10 minutes ago, John from Riverside said:

They made a ruling on it that supported the right.

Their ruling is congruent with the Constitution, which is their mandate. 

Political popularity is another matter.

40 minutes ago, sherpa said:

Chips fall. 

The Pope likes Biden.  Pretty sure he served him communion.

edit:  Well kind of...

https://apnews.com/article/pope-francis-joe-biden-g-20-summit-europe-rome-b88497127cc09a79d018cd262b1c41a1

Edited by redtail hawk

Good news for women.

(Bad news for Democrat zealots)

First Ever Over-the-Counter Birth Control Gets FDA Approval After Years of Hesitancy

Republicans were attacked in the wake of the Dobbs decision, with some progressives warning that Republicans might go after birth control next.

However, Republicans have spent years pushing for greater access to OTC birth control as a way to combat abortion.

So why hasn’t it happened? It must be that awful, religious-right-dominated GOP that’s standing in the way, right?

Actually, not so much.

Republicans, in fact, have repeatedly tried to make birth control pills available without a prescription, only to face opposition from . . . Democrats and Planned Parenthood.

Planned Parenthood stands to possibly lose money with FDA approvals like this, as 27 percent of their $1.7 billion in revenue comes from contraception. “If women are buying their pills at CVS,” Reynolds noted, “there’s no insurance money rake-off for Planned Parenthood.”

https://redstate.com/joesquire/2023/07/13/first-ever-over-the-counter-birth-control-gets-fda-approval-after-years-of-hesitancy-n775683

• Agree 1

18 hours ago, redtail hawk said:

The Pope likes Biden.  Pretty sure he served him communion.

edit:  Well kind of...

https://apnews.com/article/pope-francis-joe-biden-g-20-summit-europe-rome-b88497127cc09a79d018cd262b1c41a1

Whenever anyone brings the Pope into the conversation, you'll lose me.

As a twelve year beneficiary of Catholic education and upbringing, I am quite aware of the tenets of Catholic theology.

The Papal office, Mary, and a few other things cause me to leave that faith for more consistent and supported theology.

Biden has not only disregarded that view, he has stridently opposed it.

Not my issue or care, but suggesting that the Pope likes him and that somehow excuses the contradiction between his activist views that are in direct conflict is not going to win the day, at least not for me.

Biden always chooses the politically expedient. Religion doesn't matter.

Popes have gotten along or at least coexisted with a lot of nasty folks.

• Thank you (+1) 1