Jump to content

Bills minicamp Day 1 &2 observations: James Cook flashes in pass game


Recommended Posts

On 6/17/2022 at 2:01 PM, Back2Buff said:

 

Highly doubt it.  The kid has a huge learning curve to begin with coming from a very weak conference.  He also fell to the 5th round for a reason.  Can late round picks make it?!  Absolutely, but it usually takes a very long time.

 

There is 0.1% chance that plays are even being made for him.  If he makes the team, he won't even be dressed without injuries.

Now you've gone too far.

 

He is making the team.

Who would you dress instead? 

  • Agree 1
Link to comment
Share on other sites

10 hours ago, The Dean said:

 

True. On the flip side every year people predict McKenzie will be cut. That's not happening either. Lil Dirty will have a role on the 2022 and I believe it will be an even bigger role than last 


Im not suggesting McKenzie will get cut, I like him and so does the front office and team.  I am saying his role will be the same, and that role has basically been the gadget guy as essentially a WR 5/6 when it comes to touches.  

  • Agree 1
Link to comment
Share on other sites

2 hours ago, Alphadawg7 said:


Im not suggesting McKenzie will get cut, I like him and so does the front office and team.  I am saying his role will be the same, and that role has basically been the gadget guy as essentially a WR 5/6 when it comes to touches.  

 

This may well be right but it sounds like he has been the first guy in the slot during OTAs and mini camp. He is obviously ahead of Crowder in terms of knowing the scheme so maybe that isn't surprising but I don't think it is a lock that Crowder wins that starting slot job. The one thing Isaiah has always had is chemistry and trust with Josh. I think that is a genuine camp battle. 

  • Like (+1) 3
Link to comment
Share on other sites

12 minutes ago, GunnerBill said:

 

This may well be right but it sounds like he has been the first guy in the slot during OTAs and mini camp. He is obviously ahead of Crowder in terms of knowing the scheme so maybe that isn't surprising but I don't think it is a lock that Crowder wins that starting slot job. The one thing Isaiah has always had is chemistry and trust with Josh. I think that is a genuine camp battle. 


They aren’t going to just hand Crowder the job before he even knows the playbook.  But Crowder is the better player, and once preseason concludes he will be the starting slot receiver come week 1 barring injuries of course.  They signed Crowder and drafted Shakir for a reason, because they don’t see McKenzie as an every down slot player.  Beane would have taken Shakir earlier too had he had not traded that pick.  They are high on him, and they should be.  
 

You yourself even previously said you thought Shakir would be the starting slot WR before seasons end.  McKenzie chances to be the starting slot WR without injuries helping that happen are pretty slim IMHO.  And I like McKenzie, just he’s gonna continue to be more of a gadget player come regular season.

  • Agree 2
Link to comment
Share on other sites

3 hours ago, Alphadawg7 said:


They aren’t going to just hand Crowder the job before he even knows the playbook.  But Crowder is the better player, and once preseason concludes he will be the starting slot receiver come week 1 barring injuries of course.  They signed Crowder and drafted Shakir for a reason, because they don’t see McKenzie as an every down slot player.  Beane would have taken Shakir earlier too had he had not traded that pick.  They are high on him, and they should be.  
 

You yourself even previously said you thought Shakir would be the starting slot WR before seasons end.  McKenzie chances to be the starting slot WR without injuries helping that happen are pretty slim IMHO.  And I like McKenzie, just he’s gonna continue to be more of a gadget player come regular season.

I think we may see a man vs zone split between Lil Dirty and Crowder-week to week match ups

 

Edited by Robert Paulson
  • Like (+1) 1
  • Agree 1
  • Awesome! (+1) 1
Link to comment
Share on other sites

4 hours ago, Alphadawg7 said:


They aren’t going to just hand Crowder the job before he even knows the playbook.  But Crowder is the better player, and once preseason concludes he will be the starting slot receiver come week 1 barring injuries of course.  They signed Crowder and drafted Shakir for a reason, because they don’t see McKenzie as an every down slot player.  Beane would have taken Shakir earlier too had he had not traded that pick.  They are high on him, and they should be.  
 

You yourself even previously said you thought Shakir would be the starting slot WR before seasons end.  McKenzie chances to be the starting slot WR without injuries helping that happen are pretty slim IMHO.  And I like McKenzie, just he’s gonna continue to be more of a gadget player come regular season.

 

I do think Shakir will be the starting slot by the season's end. My question is more about who the starting slot is week 1 and I think that is a genuine camp battle. It could be Crowder. I have always liked him going back to Washington but I am not as sure as you are that it is a lock. 

51 minutes ago, Robert Paulson said:

I think we may see a man vs zone split between Lil Dirty and Crowder-week to week match ups

 

 

This is also a possibility IMO that they are essentially a time share with Crowder getting more work v heavy zone and McKenzie's speed as a man beater. 

  • Like (+1) 1
  • Agree 2
Link to comment
Share on other sites

1 hour ago, BillsShredder83 said:

interesting thought. Crowder for man, Dirty zone?

 

The other way around I'd say. Crowder is more of your direct Beas replacement good at finding the soft spot in a zone defense and making himself available to his QB. Isaiah has the speed to win 1v1 in man looks as he did at Gillette last season. 

  • Agree 1
  • Thank you (+1) 2
Link to comment
Share on other sites

I think Crowder and McKenzie will rotate in at the slot just like Beasley and McKenzie did.

 

Crowder is essentially Beasely's replacement.  So that rotation will continue and Dorsey will ride the hot hand.

 

I don't think Shakir was brought in to play slot with the 4.4 speed.  He'll get snaps at the X and Z positions giving Davis and Diggs a chance to catch a breather every now and then.

Link to comment
Share on other sites

On 6/15/2022 at 1:26 PM, JakeFrommStateFarm said:

For those that didn't click on the article

 

1. James Cook looks the part, but time will tell

It was a mostly quiet Organized Team Activities (OTAs) for Cook, but he got a few chances with the ball in his hands on Tuesday and looked explosive. The first came during 7-on-7 when he got separation against Matt Milano and hauled in a pass from Josh Allen. Then during 11-on-11, Cook made one of the most noteworthy plays of the day. He caught a short pass from Allen and got behind offensive linemen Greg Mantz out in space and turned it up a few gears. The play made you envision what it’s going to look like when he’s in that situation against opposing defenses. His speed looks different out of the backfield.

 

 

His speed didn't look different to me at all.  The same guy I've been watching all season at Georgia.

I think the writer may mean "different" from what other running backs for the Bills have displayed in similar situations.

  • Like (+1) 1
Link to comment
Share on other sites

On 6/15/2022 at 6:52 PM, Limeaid said:

 

So far. Speculation from Cover 1 is that they will alternate days holding in practice.

If that's what happens, I hope they decide early on who they are going to keep.  If it is Araiza, he's going to need as much practice as he can get on his holding.

Link to comment
Share on other sites

On 6/17/2022 at 2:01 PM, Back2Buff said:

 

Highly doubt it.  The kid has a huge learning curve to begin with coming from a very weak conference.  He also fell to the 5th round for a reason.  Can late round picks make it?!  Absolutely, but it usually takes a very long time.

 

There is 0.1% chance that plays are even being made for him.  If he makes the team, he won't even be dressed without injuries.

 

I'm not super high on Shakir this year, simply because I don't understand why we have 3 slot guys on the team (not even factoring in Austin).  

 

Perhaps they view Shakir as an outside WR and he'll have the rookie Gabe Davis role. 

 

That being said, him falling to the 5th Round isn't a valid reason to downplay him, imo. 

 

Gabriel Davis fell to RD4 in an incredibly deep/strong WR class.  Similarly, Shakir, a WR expected to go in RD3, fell to RD5 .  Some of that drop was also due to teams unable to view, specifically, where to play him... as he played outside, inside, gadget and running back at Boise State.... jack of all trades, master of none. 

 

That being said, he's probably the most electric RAC guy on this roster.  It's up to Chad Hall and Shakir himself to get him coached up enough to get playing time.  I'm rooting for it, because we certainly could use someone else on the outside that isn't Kumerow or a smurf.  

 

Edited by SCBills
Link to comment
Share on other sites

(20) Heather Prusak on Twitter: "Von Miller on working with #Bills second-year defensive end Greg Rousseau: "It's like polishing a diamond." Miller says he doesn't try to change guys but rather help them get better. Rousseau along with Boogie Basham and AJ Epenesa attended Miller's annual pass rush summit. https://t.co/oONIgCUeHW" / Twitter

Link to comment
Share on other sites

28 minutes ago, JakeFrommStateFarm said:

I think Crowder and McKenzie will rotate in at the slot just like Beasley and McKenzie did.

 

Crowder is essentially Beasely's replacement.  So that rotation will continue and Dorsey will ride the hot hand.

 

I don't think Shakir was brought in to play slot with the 4.4 speed.  He'll get snaps at the X and Z positions giving Davis and Diggs a chance to catch a breather every now and then.


I agree.  I will go one further and say that Crowder is an upgrade over Beasley.  At least the 2021-22 version of Beasley.

 

I also agree that Shakir has the speed and versatility to play outside.

  • Like (+1) 2
Link to comment
Share on other sites

On 6/17/2022 at 6:09 PM, Tanoros said:

Did you watch the video? It honestly sounds like you didn’t. There is a couple VERY specific examples of how him and Cook together can change how the defense defends our offense, you know, things that defenses did last season, that we know have two counters for. 
 

Also, Shakir opening things up for our offense doesn’t mean he is going to have a monster season, in fact, in the video Brett mentioned that a good year would be around 500 yards or so, but his value would be more so in relation to the rock/papers/scissors games that defenses and offenses play. 
 

Look how our offense evolved during the season last year. With Shakir we have someone who excellent at alot of different things, which means, it’s very possible our offense evolves during this up coming season in ways that incorporate Shakir, while keeping defenses on their heels. 
 

Lastly about late picks taking a long time to do anything, I’ll references Gabe’s rookie season. He contributed quite well, and right off the bat. If Shakir can provide something close to Gabe Davis year 1 production, while providing our offense with more versatility/counters, that’s good boost.

 

Agreed.  Buffalo has explosive players all over the offense, and there's just no way Shakir is going to get enough touches to get 1200 or more yards.  It's the established star veterans like Diggs, Davis, Knox are the guys Allen is going to look to first.  Diggs and Davis are going to get much bigger numbers than Shakir.  Even Knox as a tight end might have more. As you note, a maturing Josh Allen, who can read defenses quickly will have more options to find the open receiver when he has more weapons who can consistently get open, but the established guys already do a pretty good job of getting open.

  • Agree 1
Link to comment
Share on other sites

On 6/19/2022 at 1:48 PM, Johnny Hammersticks said:

Reading through these past couple pages, and it appears as though most folks forget how talented Jamison Crowder really is.  Very underrated acquisition, IMO.

He's probably over performed given the QBs he's had throughout his career

  • Like (+1) 1
Link to comment
Share on other sites

49 minutes ago, CNY315 said:

He's probably over performed given the QBs he's had throughout his career


Let me make sure I am understanding you correctly.  Are you saying that Crowder has probably over performed due to the QB’s he played with during his time with Washington and the Jets?  I would contend that quarterback play has likely held him back, but I want to make sure I’m not misinterpreting your statement.

  • Agree 2
Link to comment
Share on other sites

Join the conversation

You can post now and register later. If you have an account, sign in now to post with your account.

Guest
Reply to this topic...

×   Pasted as rich text.   Restore formatting

  Only 75 emoji are allowed.

×   Your link has been automatically embedded.   Display as a link instead

×   Your previous content has been restored.   Clear editor

×   You cannot paste images directly. Upload or insert images from URL.

Loading...
 Share

×
×
  • Create New...