Jessica Pegula's progress in Wimbledon 2022

Fan in Chicago

1 hour ago, RoyBatty is alive said:

Jessica Pegula had incredible success thus far at the French Open.  She made it to the quarter finals where she lost to #1 tennis player but in the Womens Double, her and Coco Guaf are in the finals.

This as far as Jessica has ever made in a major it and she is close to a top 10 in the world.

There was a thread a few years ago about Jessica, boy would I love to have that revisited.  So many gratuitous Jason Croom comments and many accused her of being a rich girl playing with her parents money on a lark.....a lot of class envy, misogyny and jealousy in the thread.

e82acd53f49756efd3829cac5312a8d3.gif

1 hour ago, RoyBatty is alive said:

Jessica Pegula had incredible success thus far at the French Open.  She made it to the quarter finals where she lost to #1 tennis player but in the Womens Double, her and Coco Guaf are in the finals.

This as far as Jessica has ever made in a major it and she is close to a top 10 in the world.

There was a thread a few years ago about Jessica, boy would I love to have that revisited.  So many gratuitous Jason Croom comments and many accused her of being a rich girl playing with her parents money on a lark.....a lot of class envy, misogyny and jealousy in the thread.

Thanks Roy as it’s kind of cool she’s now in updates on NFLR when they do the little updates at the beginning or end of a segment among the hockey and basketball playoffs.  I just that was kind of a sign on a national football radio show they are reporting on Kim Pegula’s progress.  I expect that on WGR, but not on Sirius.

• Like (+1) 1

On 5/30/2022 at 6:05 PM, Augie said:

So much for the little rich girl with a silly hobby argument. People should respect her for what she is: a world class athlete. Period. 

Congrats to her and the family for her success. 

Fortunately for her

Tennis is one of the few sports.. where being a little rich girl while getting world class training can make you a professional

Edited by Buffalo716

17 hours ago, Buffalo716 said:

Fortunately for her

Tennis is one of the few sports.. where being a little rich girl while getting world class training can make you a professional

You underestimate tennis and the natural talent and the dedication it requires to become a top 10-15 tennis player in the world. Sure, the money helps, but I know a lady who was dirt poor and worked and struggled for years to get a college tennis scholarship in the US. She said that’s what drove them all, to get out of Eastern Europe. They were dirt poor, and fighting like dogs for a ticket out. If anything, coming from wealth could be seen as a detriment. She didn’t NEED tennis to make her life.

In order to be top 15 in the world, you have to be talented, dedicated and mentally strong enough to beat people like that. People who had dedicated their entire lives, but never reached nearly as far as Jessica. This lady barely won on the satellite tour. It was short lived.  Look up the top 50 women. A LOT of those names are hard to pronounce. There are another billion not on the list but with the same dream.  It was a VERY moving story. 

BTW - we used to live near Bolliterri/IMG tennis camp. There are camps like that all over the country. Have you ever been to one of those? A sea of courts in every direction with kids trying to outwork and beat each other.  I’d recommend that over seeing a Major in a 20,000 seat stadium. It’s frickin’ INCREDIBLE! And most of the kids are still in high school.  For Jessica to be near the peak of that pinnacle puts me in AWE. 

Sorry, mini-rant over for now…..:)

Edited by Augie
  • Like (+1) 2

4 minutes ago, Augie said:

You underestimate tennis and the natural talent and the dedication it requires to become a top 10-15 tennis player in the world. Sure, the money helps, but I know a lady who was dirt poor and worked and struggled for years to get a college tennis scholarship in the US. She said that’s what drove them all, to get out of Eastern Europe. They were dirt poor, and fighting like dogs for a ticket out. Look up the top 50 women. A LOT of those names are hard to pronounce.  It was a VERY moving story. 

In order to be top 15 in the world, you have to be talented, dedicated and mentally strong enough to beat people like that. People who had dedicated their entire lives, but never reached nearly as far as Jessica. This lady barely won on the satellite tour. It was short lived. 

BTW - we used to live near Bolliterri/IMG tennis camp. There are camps like that all over the country. Have you ever been to one of those? A sea of courts in every direction with lids trying to outwork and beat each other.  I’d recommend that over seeing a Major in a 20,000 seat stadium. It’s frickin’ INCREDIBLE! And most of the kids are still in high school.  For Jessica to be near the peak of that pinnacle puts me in AWE. 

Sorry, mini-rant over for now…..:)

I don't think I'm saying she's not talented

I'm saying tennis is absolutely a sport where vast money and resources can absolutely help you

All the amount of money can't build a 6'5 300 lb left tackle

But it could absolutely help train you into a college-level tennis prospect

I absolutely agree it takes more than money to be a top 20 player in the world... It takes a lot of work and passion and skill

Edited by Buffalo716
  • Like (+1) 1

3 minutes ago, Buffalo716 said:

I'm saying tennis is absolutely a sport where vast money and resources can absolutely help you

I absolutely agree it takes more than money to be a top 20 player in the world... It takes a lot of work and passion and skill

You are confusing Country Club tennis with professional tennis. Professional tennis is a factory, and some of them have enough natural talent that they don’t need to pay. You are “on scholarship” at the factories to draw other players. 

I think the lady I know is originally from Ukraine. They fought like hell to get out ahead of the person they were competing against. Year after year.  Jessica had to leave the palace to go put in the same work, but harder. That is special and I celebrate it! 

I am awed just by the pure dedication and self motivation it takes to climb that mountain. 

• Like (+1) 1

32 minutes ago, Augie said:

You are confusing Country Club tennis with professional tennis. Professional tennis is a factory, and some of them have enough natural talent that they don’t need to pay. You are “on scholarship” at the factories to draw other players. 

I think the lady I know is originally from Ukraine. They fought like hell to get out ahead of the person they were competing against. Year after year.  Jessica had to leave the palace to go put in the same work, but harder. That is special and I celebrate it! 

I am awed just by the pure dedication and self motivation it takes to climb that mountain. 

Josh Rosen was one of the top tennis players in the country in his age group

He grew up in country clubs and getting lessons from the time he was a child... That Obviously helped his tennis game immensely

That doesn't mean poor people can't be successful, or rich people can't be bad 

It means having more resources at a younger age will absolutely help your chances of success in lots of avenues

Even Professionals were amateurs at some point and were getting training from somebody

Edited by Buffalo716

41 minutes ago, Augie said:

I am awed just by the pure dedication and self motivation it takes to climb that mountain

She obviously works her tail off and has a tremendous amount of talent

On 6/1/2022 at 1:39 PM, Gugny said:

I'm pretty sure the vast majority of top U.S. professional tennis players have come from money, which gives them access to the best coaching available.

I DO, however, totally agree that the talent has to be there and any pro player is athletically gifted.

It’s not just the cost of coaches. The cost of admission is really high up front. Sure there’s a few feel good stories. But those are anomalies. Most of tennis comes from money. 

There’s certainly physiology to it as well. But her ranking is largely based on longevity and affluence. Like in 2010, her career earnings were $600. 2011 $10k. All the while she is having her coach and world travel paid for. Along with out of pocket helath insurance and physio. Sure she’s good, but tennis isn’t a sport anybody can just “skill” their way to the top.  

Tennis players can peak later, but if you’re not earning you get off the circuit. Tennis is closer to F1 than it is basketball or football. 

On 6/3/2022 at 4:09 PM, RoyBatty is alive said:

But she is playing with her parents money. And tennis most certainly has a

minimum cost for entry let along longevity if you aren’t a top 10 player in the world. A huge part of Jessica’s late surge in rankings are a lot of players would have dropped out by now because they can’t afford to fly all over the world to try and maybe get some prize money. 

To be middle class and stick around tennis you quite literally have to be the best in the world with parents willing to risk their entire families. Look at the Williams or Agassi. Great stories, but a hell of gamble nobody should really be taking.

I don’t mean to hate on her. Good for her. But it seems people have gone out of there way to talk about her gifts. Her greatest gift today in tennis is her parents bank account. There’s no way that any normal family could have funded Jessica through this. Trips to France, Japan, etc. all while being the 100th ranked player in the world with basically zero career earnings. 

Congrats to Jessica and her ability to have enough financial stability to outlast her peers. 

3 minutes ago, Mango said:

minimum cost for entry let along longevity if you aren’t a top 10 player in the world. A huge part of Jessica’s late surge in rankings are a lot of players would have dropped out by now because they can’t afford to fly all over the world to try and maybe get some prize money. 

To be middle class and stick around tennis you quite literally have to be the best in the world with parents willing to risk their entire families. Look at the Williams or Agassi. Great stories, but a hell of gamble nobody should really be taking.

I don’t mean to hate on her. Good for her. But it seems people have gone out of there way to talk about her gifts. Her greatest gift today in tennis is her parents bank account. There’s no way that any normal family could have funded Jessica through this. Trips to France, Japan, etc. all while being the 100th ranked player in the world with basically zero career earnings. 

Congrats to Jessica and her ability to have enough financial stability to outlast her peers. 

I'm sure a lot of people without extremely wealthy parents may have called it quites. But her parent's money didn't buy her the skill necessary to make it to grand slam finals. That's all hard work that she alone had to put in.

43 minutes ago, Mango said:

she could have become yet another spoiled rich brat who does nothing with her life.  A social media influencer. Or a politician wanna be turd.  Kinda cool she worked this hard towards an achievement. 

3 hours ago, Buffalo716 said:

You don’t need money for that. Just steroids and a wish for CTE. 

Edited by nedboy7

This topic is OLD. A NEW topic should be started unless there is a very specific reason to revive this one.