RD 1, Pick 23: CB Kaiir Elam, Florida

SDS

I had forgotten that Cowboys presumed CB2 Kelvin Joseph is in legal trouble and is potentially facing charges.

Given that fact, Elam’s fit in a Dan Quinn defense, and the sullen looking Cowboys draft room…

I think there’s at least a pretty good chance the Cowboys would have taken Elam if we hadn’t jumped up. At the very least, it’s easy to see why Beane thought it was a strong possibility.

• Like (+1) 1
  • Agree 2

13 hours ago, Big Blitz said:

Joe Haden

Janoris Jenkins 

Over how many yrs u going way back for these guys. 

CJ Henderson

Vernon Hargraves

Teez Tabor

Duke Dawson

Quincey Wilson 

All drafted in first few rds all trash. Like I said before I trust McBeane when it comes to secondary players. They know more then we’ll ever know and there track record speaks for itself.

7 minutes ago, NastyNateSoldiers said:

Over how many yrs u going way back for these guys. 

CJ Henderson

Vernon Hargraves

Teez Tabor

Duke Dawson

Quincey Wilson 

All drafted in first few rds all trash. Like I said before I trust McBeane when it comes to secondary players. They know more then we’ll ever know and there track record speaks for itself.

Scout the player, not the helmet.

• Thank you (+1) 1

23 minutes ago, IronMaidenBills said:

This was the guy I wanted before I went all Breece Hall crazy. He is a good instinctive CB with size and speed. Something we have needed for a while. 

Crazy?  Of course not!!  Excessively enthusiastic, perhaps bordering on deranged obsession?  Perhaps a tad...

Edited by goober
  • Haha (+1) 1

3 minutes ago, Logic said:

Scout the player, not the helmet.

I agree to some extent, but not so far that I would be willing to draft a QB from someplace like Wyoming......

• Like (+1) 2
  • Haha (+1) 5
  • Awesome! (+1) 1

15 minutes ago, Logic said:

I had forgotten that Cowboys presumed CB2 Kelvin Joseph is in legal trouble and is potentially facing charges.

Given that fact, Elam’s fit in a Dan Quinn defense, and the sullen looking Cowboys draft room…

I think there’s at least a pretty good chance the Cowboys would have taken Elam if we hadn’t jumped up. At the very least, it’s easy to see why Beane thought it was a strong possibility.

Not to mention Stef's little bro will probably be looking for a gigantic contract next off-season.

1 hour ago, BillsVet said:

Reid and Veach are secure in their off-season moves at WR and offense as a whole.  You can draft defense when offense is prioritized which aligns with current league trends. 

Let's examine this great quote as it pertains to pass catchers...

Reid/Veach this off-season:

ADDED/KEPT

• Marquez Valdes-Scantling (3 year deal)
  • Juju Smith-Schuster (1 year deal)

MOVED ON

• Demarcus Robinson (FA)
  • Byron Pringle (FA)
  • Tyreek Hill (Trade)

McDermott/Beane this off-season:

ADDED/KEPT

• Stefon Diggs (4 year extension + 2 existing years left)
  • Isaiah McKenzie (2 year extension)
  • Jamison Crowder (1 year FA)
  • OJ Howard (1 year FA)

MOVED ON

• Emmanuel Sanders (FA)
  • Cole Beasley (Release)

What exactly did Reid/Veach do different than McDermott/Beane this off-season that screams "offense is prioritized" ?

• Like (+1) 2

33 minutes ago, Perry Turtle said:

White and Elam could be the best pair of cornerbacks the Bills have ever had.

Beane continues to improve a team that was 13 seconds away from back-to-back AFC championship games. And that's not an easy task.

Not an easy task indeed....Especially when you keep the same coaches that cost us a SuperBowl...sorry I could not resist

Beane has had a great off-season. Love almost every move. If they do not get a WR in next two rounds, I would bring back Sanders. I would bring back Hughes too. Hopefully add OL, new punter, and another DB in the next two days.

• Like (+1) 1
  • Dislike 1

21 minutes ago, JGMcD2 said:

Let's examine this great quote as it pertains to pass catchers...

Reid/Veach this off-season:

ADDED/KEPT

• Marquez Valdes-Scantling (3 year deal)
  • Juju Smith-Schuster (1 year deal)

MOVED ON

• Demarcus Robinson (FA)
  • Byron Pringle (FA)
  • Tyreek Hill (Trade)

McDermott/Beane this off-season:

ADDED/KEPT

• Stefon Diggs (4 year extension + 2 existing years left)
  • Isaiah McKenzie (2 year extension)
  • Jamison Crowder (1 year FA)
  • OJ Howard (1 year FA)

MOVED ON

• Emmanuel Sanders (FA)
  • Cole Beasley (Release)

What exactly did Reid/Veach do different than McDermott/Beane this off-season that screams "offense is prioritized" ?

Stop using all this logic and facts.  It interferes with the base less, fact less, and pointless whining for the sake of whining around here.  

• Haha (+1) 3

3 hours ago, HappyDays said:

The OL was mostly fine after Bates got inserted. Bates plus Saffold is a huge improvement on what the Bills fielded at guard earlier in the season. They added Quessenberry to make sure Spencer Brown isn't handed the job.

YAC receivers are found on day two of the draft every year. I still expect the Bills to get one.

I said elsewhere that if you add Von Miller to our team last year we likely win the Chiefs game, and if you add Kaiir Elam we likely win the Bucs game. Those were the two most glaring holes on the team.

I like Bates but he is not why the OL started looking better.

The OL looked better when Josh Allen started running 10+ times..........that's what took the starch out of pass rushes and put defenses in catch mode..........not knowing if he was going to stand in the pocket where they could just target him and ignore their other responsibilities.

In the midst of their late season panic-scramble to make the playoffs,  and after the foot injury in Tampa,   they clearly made a concerted effort not to run Josh against Carolina and he got sacked 4 times and struggled.

They currently have no promising backups at guard or center or a swing tackle with LT capability.    

Cody Ford status went from *meh-be* a guard to seemingly a lost cause last season and Ike Boettger is coming off a torn achilles and was largely ineffective prior.     Saffold came out of like 8 games injured last season and is very old for a guard.    If he is healthy *maybe* he is an upgrade over Williams but he certainly isn't as versatile so I don't really get the "huge improvement" talk.   That feels a lot like the Sanders signing.......not much left in the tank........maybe not even a full season.   Ques is the only reserve who they might be able to expect decent play from and he allowed 11 sacks last year as a starter.

I agree that YAC receivers can be found all over but ideally you find one with WR1 capability as well.    The first rounders have more likely traits to turn into WR1 with big YAC.   You can get one later the same way you can get a much faster but also zone scheme compatible CB later in Tariq Woolen or Kalon Barnes.    The difference is that those guys are more tooled up  relative to the McDuffie/Elam picks than the late receivers are to Jameson Williams/Olave/Burks picks.

As for Kaiir Elam making a difference in the Tampa game........I doubt it.   Again, the issue wasn't CB play it was a lack of pass rush.   I like Elam,  he has solid traits for a late first rounder...........but I do question if they have invested too much.    One of their great organization efficiencies has been getting excellent play from low pedigree CB's.    Maybe they will suddenly play more press and the traits will make a difference.  Or maybe not.   I don't trust the Bills to change their plan defensively from opponent to opponent.   That's just not how they've operated, unfortunately.

• Like (+1) 1

This topic is OLD. A NEW topic should be started unless there is a very specific reason to revive this one.