RD 1, Pick 23: CB Kaiir Elam, Florida

SDS

Some quotes from scouts about Elam from a Bob McGinn article on Tyler Dunne’s website:

https://www.golongtd.com/p/what-the-scouts-say-about-bills-first?s=w

AFC scout: “I think he’s the best corner. Good size, super athletic. He can do everything athletically as far as speed and recovery. He’s got poise. He has the ability to play the ball. His cover skills are exceptional. If you’re going to knock him a little bit, he’s not a great (run) support guy. He’s not real aggressive or strong, but he’s athletic enough when he wants to do it. His character is really good. Pretty good shot for the top 15.”

NFC scout: “He’s talented. Not silky smooth in his movements but he’s explosive and he’s a real good athlete. He plays with a lot of damn confidence and swag. He’s got excellent feel. He jumps routes. He tends to drift some. Bump skills are good. He can run support but he’s less to be desired in the run game. He’s one of those guys that says, ‘Y’all go do that. I gotta tackle? All right, let me jump down on the ground.’ He’s first-round talent. It’s where his mind is.”

AFC scout: “He was the best corner I saw. I estimated his speed at 4.55. Needs to be more physical against the run. Was excellent against Alabama.” 

NFC scout: “He wouldn’t hit the ground if he fell out of bed. Nobody cares anymore but very, very, very marginal against the run. Nonexistent. He’s got some real talent. He’s more talented than (Ahmad) Gardner. Real good to exceptional athlete. Has the size and length for a starting NFL corner. He has marginal strength and effort against the run. Top of the second round.”

• Thank you (+1) 1

8 minutes ago, 13 Second Prevent Defense said:

Was that on the nfl network broadcast?   Where can I see that?

Yeah, they cut to the Cowboys war room right when they went on the clock and it looked like a funeral. But that could also be bc Jerry Jones has been dead for the last 10 years? Idk 

• Haha (+1) 6

1 minute ago, Motorin' said:

Yeah, they cut to the Cowboys war room right when they went on the clock and it looked like a funeral. But that could also be bc Jerry Jones has been dead for the last 10 years? Idk 

The move that I thought was more interesting was the Chiefs (if I recall) moving up to get in front of Green Bay, and then the Packers took less than five seconds to make their pick. What was that about? I believe the Chiefs got rolled.

• Like (+1) 1

16 hours ago, MAJBobby said:

Tackling Technique is Elams issue. Not the will to support against the run. 

technique can be fixed. Guess who else had those same negatives???  Tre White. Go read his scouting reports. 

Heeey,  tough crowd!  Tough crowd!

3 hours ago, SCBills said:

If I had to guess, the Bills had Sauce, Stingley, Elam and McDuffie with RD1 grades at CB. 

I have no idea who they had rated higher.. Elam or McDuffie.  Elam seems to check all the boxes the Bills want in high picks aka really young and really athletic.  Beane wanted to add speed to the secondary and Elam can fly.  

Regardless, I’m guessing they would have taken either of them at 25.  

Then KC traded up and took one of them off the board.  With only one guy left with a RD1 grade, they weren’t going to play around waiting for a guy in a draft that was off the rails with trades.  

I agree and their grades must have had a decent gap between Elam and the other remaining corners.   I have a feeling they are going to get their 4th back by trading some of their later picks.

10 hours ago, YoloinOhio said:

You could tell the cowboys were planning to take him. Jerry looked  pissed and then they took the entire 15 minutes to make their pick 

Agree I said the same thing watching the NFL network presentation. They took a while to put their pick in and it looked as if their guy got sniped. Looks can be deceiving though

Edited by Tom Donahoe, GM
  • Agree 1

This topic is OLD. A NEW topic should be started unless there is a very specific reason to revive this one.